Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Random idea - make Milton the closer

Re: Random idea - make Milton the closer

Quite a few successful relief pitchers become relief pitchers because they were failed starters.

I fully support M2's idea.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

and I thought we paid too much for Graves as a closer!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Quite a few successful relief pitchers become relief pitchers because they were failed starters.

I fully support M2's idea.
    Eric Gagne.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

got alil captain in u?

if they try it in spring training and it works maybe but they have to try it first and make 100% sure

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I hear you, but after last season I'm not sure that what Eric Milton wants counts for anything. If he made a public trade demand, the GM could point out that no one wants him. If he kvetched that he's a starter instead of reliever, the GM could state that he's got a season's worth of video that proves otherwise.

As for Castellini taking heat for such a move, I figure most owner discussions about baseball revolve around lurid locker room stories. After that, it's all about the stock market and boating.
    If Eric Milton wants a major league job after this contract expires--he'll at least entertain the idea.

And Castellini simply can't let this guy go out there and turn his park, in the owner's inaugural year, into a giant feces sandwich every fifth day. What a PR disaster. I really think Cast would rather cut him and eat the contract then let that happen.

I would put him in middle relief a first because based on how he pitched last year that is where he belongs. He has to pitch his way into a bigger role.

He is sunk cost so put him in the place he can do the least amount of damage and maybe pitching in the BP will be good for him and he could develop into a closer.

How much do other teams pay for a closer? For a good closer? For a lights out closer?

It sounds like just the sort of out-of-the-box thinking that this club needs to consider. If they never give it a try (preferrably in ST), how will they ever know?

And like someone else said, if it works and his salary is comparable to other closers, the Reds could potentially flip him.

One thing that potentially worries me. If he really doesn't want to try it, would he go so far as to tank it?

How do you get this idea to the Reds? I sincerely doubt anyone has thought of it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    One thing that potentially worries me. If he really doesn't want to try it, would he go so far as to tank it?
    Let him tank it. How much worse could he be? He might screw around and actually get someone out.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    How much do other teams pay for a closer? For a good closer? For a lights out closer?

It sounds like just the sort of out-of-the-box thinking that this club needs to consider. If they never give it a try (preferrably in ST), how will they ever know?

And like someone else said, if it works and his salary is comparable to other closers, the Reds could potentially flip him.

How do you get this idea to the Reds? I sincerely doubt anyone has thought of it.
    I'm not sold on the idea since I have visions of Milton giving up bombs like Graves did. He doesn't really blow anyone away and he doesn't have a trick pitch either. He's definitely not a ground ball machine like Graves was in his prime. None of those things spells closer to me. Plus if he goes out of the rotation, we have to replace him with another guy like the Lizard or Hancock. With Wilson a question mark the Reds are kind of shorthanded in the starting pitcher area. If you try it in ST, and it doesn't work, it's going to be a while before his arm gets back into starting pitching form.

Still it's an intriguing idea. Milton for one or two innings may be better than Milton for 5 or 6. Teams will pay what Milton makes for a lights out closer, TB. I don't think tanking it will be an issue here. There's an old saying that holds true for every sport, you're not just playing for your team, you're playing for everyone else too. Meaning that other teams are watching you play and if your present team doesn't need you, someone else might so it isn't wise to dog it out there. Besides, from what I've heard, Milton is a solid character guy and an extremely hard working player. And he's got to feel terribly guilty about his performance last year. He's got a lot of incentive to get back into the fans, as well as the team's, good graces. He isn't in a position to do much whining.

As for getting this idea to the powers that be, I have this shindig down at GAB tomnorrow night. I have heard that Kullman would speak to us but that was before his promotion. If he's there and I get the opportunity to talk to him, I'll run it by him.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Then we have 20 closers in waiting.

I would suggest that a closer needs a little more than "failed at starter" on his resume to instantly become the next Goose Gossage.

Most starters who fail at starter and became great closers did so because they had 1, maybe 2 really good pitches, but lacked a more complete repitoire and/or stamina.

I see nothing about Milton to suggest that he has those atttributes.

Haunted by walks

Milton's stats in the first inning aren't very good, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    As for getting this idea to the powers that be, I have this shindig down at GAB tomnorrow night. I have heard that Kullman would speak to us but that was before his promotion. If he's there and I get the opportunity to talk to him, I'll run it by him.
    Thanks for the insight and the info, Chip, especially about the tanking. It makes sense. Makes me wonder how Pokey found a job after his gig with the Reds.

Great idea above!!!!!

Also, you might even want to pimp Redszone. I find it amazing how much intelligent information is presented on this forum.

I would think that some, if not a lot, of it would benefit them in some way. Even if only ONE THING strikes them as beneficial, it would pay for their time spent in perusing the obvious threads. They should be thrilled with the opportunity to get in touch with the fans, especially with the intelligent fans of Redszone. Heck, they might even learn a thing or three... that's how much I value the opinions of a ton of posters here (you included).

And, obviously, as real names aren't used (for the most part), they wouldn't be able to hunt anyone down that said something detrimental.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    He does have a lot of experience pitching from a stretch.
    GREAT! yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Then we have 20 closers in waiting.

I would suggest that a closer needs a little more than "failed at starter" on his resume to instantly become the next Goose Gossage.

Most starters who fail at starter and became great closers did so because they had 1, maybe 2 really good pitches, but lacked a more complete repitoire and/or stamina.

I see nothing about Milton to suggest that he has those atttributes.
    Right now, we're stuck with Milton due to his salary; we're not stuck with those 20 other clowns. That's a key difference.

If Milton's job is to go in and throw 20 pitches, then he can really bear down, let loose and pump his velocity up on his fastball since he doesn't have to worry about pacing himself as he would if he were starting. There's a good chance he could improve his K rate while also decreasing his HR rate, just as most other failed starters can do when they come out of the bullpen.

Outside of 2000, Ryan Dempster was absolutely terrible as a starting pitcher, including his brief stint right here in Cincinnati. The Cubs grab him in 2004, test him out of the bullpen and he doesn't pitch poorly. In 2005 they let him go the entire season out of the pen and he turns in a 136 ERA+, all the while increasing his K rate and decreasing his HR rate. No, I wouldn't consider Dempster great out of the bullpen, but he suddenly had some positive value.

If Eric Milton can give us an above average ERA+ as a reliever then he too will be giving us positive value for about 80 innings instead of the negative value he'll give us over 200 innings. Milton's a sunk cost right now with little to no positive value. Nothing more than a 200 inning pile of junk with a tremendous amount of negative value, in fact. Even if he's an average pitcher out of the bullpen, we'd at least be diminishing the amount of negative value he'd be giving us.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 01-28-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Minimizing the number of pitches that Milton has to throw is a great idea IMO. I just wonder how well he would respond to pitching more frequently, as some guys have a harder time adjusting to this than others.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?