Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Indians/Red Sox 6 Player Deal

Indians/Red Sox 6 Player Deal

I didn't see a thread for this, per ESPN.com

The Indians get: Marte, Mota, Shoppach, & cash or a PTBNL
    The Red Sox get: Crisp, Riske, and Bard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2309119
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-28-2006 at 12:54 PM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Indians/Red Sox 6 Player Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I didn't see a thread for this, per ESPN.com

The Indians get: Mota, Shoppach, & cash or a PTBNL
    The Red Sox get: Crisp, Riske, and Bard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2309119
    Your forgot the major part of the deal ANDY MARTE!!!!!!

Cleveland looks like a crook in this deal as the stole Both Marte And Shoppach For Crisp who's offense may increase but defense wont improve in that huge outfield

I think Boston wins this trade going away. Shoppach and Marte=hypesville.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    Your forgot the major part of the deal ANDY MARTE!!!!!!
    fixed it.

I think that on paper, Cleveland made a very good deal. It also wasn't a bad deal for Boston. They both got what they wanted.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

This type of deal may take a few years to determine who came out ahead. If Crisp can play a significant role in the Sox winning another world series over the next couple of years then the Sox got what they wanted. But if Marte is as described then he is a rare player and he will alone make the indians hands down winners in this deal.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

The intresting thing about the deal is why would they want Shoppach over Decarlman? Now I know that Boston probably wouldn't have given them Decarlman, but still. They have Vic Martinez at C, and he is locked up for 4 more years or so. They also have Ryan Garko, who is a C but will most likely play 1B.

So, does this mean that Shoppach could be flipped for something else? I am guessing so...

This is the type of trade that happens when two forward thinking FOs with different needs set out to find long term solutions for their own weaknesses. The Red Sox needed some kind of offensive contributor from one of two traditionally defense-first positions, CF or SS. The Indians needed more power from one of the more traditional power positions, corner IF or OF. Crisp for Marte, simple as that, .800+ OPS CF=.900+ OPS 3B, that's damn close to equal value. Except, Marte's unproven at the major league level and probably needs some more time in AAA. Enter Michaels to hold the fort down for Crisp until Marte and their other prospects are ready, but they need to trade Rhodes to do it. So, the Red Sox offer Mota, who, if healthy, is a reasonable replacement for Rhodes, for Riske, who the Indians feel is more of a 6th or 7th inning reliever, maybe they don't think he's worth what they have to pay him anymore. The Indians still need more, so they swap back-up catchers, with the Indians getting the likely upgrade both offensively and defensively, and a player who still has options so they get more flexibility as well. Except, as it turns out, the Indians are not entirely comfortable with Mota's physical issues, so they ask for Delcarmen, too. But the Red Sox refuse to add Delcarmen, so they come up with a more creative solution: the Red Sox give them some money to give them more flexibility in case they need to add another reliever, and they give them two lists of PTBNLs, one with better pitching prospects to choose from if Mota's health issue puts him on the DL, and one of lesser prospects if it doesn't. Both teams get a long term solution for a current and future weakness, the team that's getting less of a short term fix gets a little extra value to mitigate their greater risk. And here's the ultimate test of a fair trade: both team's fans think the other team got the better deal. No wonder it took so long.

Turn Off Ads?