Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds keeping Kearns as part of the solution

Reds keeping Kearns as part of the solution

I saw this online about Kullman deciding to keep Kearns in Cincy unless they get an overwhelming offer. I prefer to keep Kearns in Cincy and haven't like the potential players that have been talked about in Kearns deals.

Reds commit to keeping Kearns
    Interim GM's vote of confidence silences recent trade rumors
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
    CINCINNATI -- All of the recent trade rumors surrounding Reds right fielder Austin Kearns appear to be doused for the time being.

Kearns' name has run rampant in media reports all week since new owner/chief executive officer Robert Castellini dismissed general manager Dan O'Brien and named baseball operations director Brad Kullman the team's interim GM.

Kullman spent the past couple of days huddling with top advisors from the baseball operations staff, and the consensus of the group was that Kearns should stay unless there's an overwhelming offer.

"We have no active talks going on involving Austin Kearns, and we have no plans to trade him," Kullman said on Saturday afternoon.

Reports this week had both Cleveland and Boston interested in acquiring Kearns from Cincinnati, which is seeking an established starting pitcher and a closer before Spring Training.

On Friday, Cleveland added outfielder Jason Michaels from the Phillies in exchange for reliever Arthur Rhodes. The Indians also sent left fielder Coco Crisp to the Red Sox for three players in a separate deal.

Kearns has battled injuries that have limited his playing time the past few seasons, but he will get to play every day this season for the first time in his career. That became possible when Cincinnati moved Adam Dunn from the outfield to first base upon trading first baseman Sean Casey to Pittsburgh this winter.

During a Q&A session at a Reds Winter Caravan stop in Dayton on Saturday, a fan asked manager Jerry Narron about Kearns' status.

"Austin Kearns will be our right fielder this year," Narron told the crowd. "We're going to give him a chance to play."

"We feel that Kearns is going to be part of the solution here," Kullman said. "We want him to be in right field. He's a potential Gold Glove winner, and his bat can help this team win."

Meanwhile, Kullman said that he's continuing to talk with other clubs about making any potential deals.

"It's not a very active time right now," said Kullman, who is one of six candidates scheduled to interview for the permanent GM job next week. "A few teams are making deals, as people can see, but a lot of teams aren't really in that mode."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds keeping Kearns as part of the solution

I don't have a real problem with this, however we still need pitching, and we're going to have to give up something to get a decent starter. Griffey? Dunn? Pena?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I truly do question the wisdom of all this.

If they're fielding offers for Kearns right now and names are coming up like Jake Westbrook and Matt Clement, there were probably even better names floating around during the winter meetings and prior to the start of free agency. Now, with all the teams pretty much set into their lineups, it's only a few teams bidding against one another as opposed to many teams all looking to add players at various position. Despite that, this still might be their best chance to get return on Kearns.

All of this trade talk with Kearns revolves around his "potential" to develop into an all-star calibur outfielder. That "potential" isn't a limitless commodity; the tag tarnishes with every passing season (Hell, every passing month) where he plays below an acceptable level. If he goes out this season and has another mediocre year, the number of teams willing to buy into "potential" dwindles even further.

We'll have to see how the season plays out, but Kullman is setting himself up to look like either a genius (if Kearns goes out and returns to his rookie form, where he was posting a plus-.900 OPS and absolutely raking the ball) or just a continuation of the O'Brien regime, unable to strike quickly enough to get value for talent. Either way, this is a big season for Austin Kearns and the Reds stake in him (either as trade bait or as an offensive and defensive anchor).

If I'm Kullman, I send him somewhere with a film room and a batting cage and tell him to start figuring out how to hit the hard, inside stuff that pitchers have been feeding him for the past two years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

His hands have not been right since he had the problem with his thumb.

I know it's not the popular opinion around here, but I still think if Austin gets dedicated to fitness and starts working harder at his craft, he will be a much better major leaguer than Wily Mo.

I'm hoping last year was a wake up call. He's skated by on potential for years. He's been told that he's a future all star for so long it looks to me like he took it for granted.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I agree RFS62, we need to see what type of heart he has.

Quote Originally Posted by iaredsfan
    I don't have a real problem with this, however we still need pitching, and we're going to have to give up something to get a decent starter. Griffey? Dunn? Pena?
    Everyone wants pitching and the OF is the easiest place to find O so people aren't going to making us any big offers for them.
    Go Gators!

There are a lot of good stat people that post here. What was Kearns stats after he came back form Lousiville? What was his stats before the thumb injury?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    His hands have not been right since he had the problem with his thumb.
    Before they shut him down in 04, he tried to come back. During BP his thumb started bleeding because the bone spurs were puncturing through the skin..wow that's a real injury.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I am glad to hear this, honestly.

If Kullman isn't GM, this discussion is all for not.

And maybe the Reds are driving the price up for teams who want Kearns.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Well, I question this is well. I'm sorry, but I am no longer an optomist when it comes to Kearns. He is the one I would move if I could. Not give him away mind you, but make a trade, take a chance to improve this awful pitching.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by John McGwire
    And maybe the Reds are driving the price up for teams who want Kearns.
    I don't think the price can possibly go any higher. Kearns' price is as high as it will get, and it can only go lower. Teams want Kearns based on his potential from 3 or 4 years ago. The last two seasons have not been good at all. Most Reds fans, and the Reds front office seem to overvalue Kearns, and expect the moon for him. With every season that passes, it's looking more and more like he will never be the player that everybody once thought he would be. Of course the Reds would love to get a front of the rotation starter for Kearns, but those pitchers are worth a lot more than a player like Kearns. Teams that are bidding on Kearns are offering above average starters in the hopes of Kearns finding that promise that he once had, and becoming a good player again. For that, teams are willing to take a leap of faith, at least for now. Kearns only has a couple of years until he's a Free Agent, and his value is on the decline. The Reds can flip him now for a good (not great) Starting Pitcher or they can wait and always wonder what might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I don't think the price can possibly go any higher. Kearns' price is as high as it will get, and it can only go lower. Teams want Kearns based on his potential from 3 or 4 years ago. The last two seasons have not been good at all. Most Reds fans, and the Reds front office seem to overvalue Kearns, and expect the moon for him. With every season that passes, it's looking more and more like he will never be the player that everybody once thought he would be. Of course the Reds would love to get a front of the rotation starter for Kearns, but those pitchers are worth a lot more than a player like Kearns. Teams that are bidding on Kearns are offering above average starters in the hopes of Kearns finding that promise that he once had, and becoming a good player again. For that, teams are willing to take a leap of faith, at least for now. Kearns only has a couple of years until he's a Free Agent, and his value is on the decline. The Reds can flip him now for a good (not great) Starting Pitcher or they can wait and always wonder what might have been.
    or they can keep him and see what happens. he's cheap and has a huge upside. no reason to deal him unless you get exactly what you want. the Reds need his defense.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?