Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds keeping Kearns as part of the solution

Re: Reds keeping Kearns as part of the solution

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I know it's not the popular opinion around here, but I still think if Austin gets dedicated to fitness and starts working harder at his craft, he will be a much better major leaguer than Wily Mo.

I'm hoping last year was a wake up call. He's skated by on potential for years. He's been told that he's a future all star for so long it looks to me like he took it for granted.
    Oh, I think so too. The only advantages WMP has over Austin is his power and speed. Pena probably won't get much better defensively and he probably won't make a lot more contact than he is now. We've had a glimpse of what Kearns can do. He was so good it was scary.

I'm somewhat worried now that DanO is gone that AK will start coasting again. DanO has a lot of faults as a GM but he wasn't afraid to demote Kearns last season. Now that he's gone it's possible that Kearns feels vindicated and will go back to his old habits.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    or they can keep him and see what happens. he's cheap and has a huge upside. no reason to deal him unless you get exactly what you want. the Reds need his defense.
    The Reds can get a good pitcher that will help them, but I don't think they'll ever get as much as they want for him. If he has another bad season, then no team will offer anything of quality for him. You would rather use Kearns as a defensive replacement that trade him for one of these pitchers that teams have been rumored to be offering?

I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I'm somewhat worried now that DanO is gone that AK will start coasting again. DanO has a lot of faults as a GM but he wasn't afraid to demote Kearns last season. Now that he's gone it's possible that Kearns feels vindicated and will go back to his old habits.
    If you, I and everyone else on here knows that AK's got to fully commit to this his "last chance" type season with the Reds, don't you think AK does as well? Perhaps he won't be proactive , that remains to be seen. However, before he sees his first pitch in spring training, I'd think a sit down with Austin explaining exactly what's at stake for him will be in order.

I think we're going to get a real good look into Austins head when we see how he shows up at spring training.

After all the things that happened to him last year, if he doesn't show up buff and in top shape, he's crazy.

The bars are full of guys who once had potential.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

mwball75 (Cincinnati, OH): Will trading Kearns for pitching really improve this team enough to contend? Why not hold onto him and try to improve via free agency next year?

Nate Silver: A great number of Kearns questions. I think it's telling that his #1 comparable is Pat Burrell. Like Burrell after 2003, he's a guy that should expect some rebound at the plate. But he's also looking like more of an "old players skills" guy than the all-around player people were hoping they'd get a couple of years ago, and I don't know if he's going to be a good big leaguer past the age of 30.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...php?chatId=163

So, has anyone seen or heard anything about Kearns and an off-season conditioning program? Does he have one? If so, is it being followed? In what kind of condition will AK show up in Sarasota?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I think we're going to get a real good look into Austins head when we see how he shows up at spring training.

After all the things that happened to him last year, if he doesn't show up buff and in top shape, he's crazy.

The bars are full of guys who once had potential.
    Yep. That's my thinking too. We'll probably know what we need to know about Austin when he shows for ST.

And I'll second the Nate Silver old player's skills observation.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I don't think the price can possibly go any higher. Kearns' price is as high as it will get, and it can only go lower.
    I agree completely. In fact, in my mind Kearns value has already slipped a little bit in every year since his rookie year.

Kearns only has 3 years left until FA. If the Reds don't move him this year, at best in 2007, they are shopping a 2 year rental who finally had a year close to what was expected (and going to be rewarded in arb for it).

At worse, Kearns has another disappointing year, and there's even less interest.

I agree with you Matty.. In the REds' minds, Kearns is worth as much as when he was a rookie. But reality says otherwise.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    So, has anyone seen or heard anything about Kearns and an off-season conditioning program? Does he have one? If so, is it being followed? In what kind of condition will AK show up in Sarasota?

Rem
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...601300373/1071

He's already hitting and throwing, and continues to adhere to a conditioning program assigned to him by the Reds.

The results are noticeable.

"I've dropped a few pounds," said Kearns, who was listed at 245 pounds last season. "I've been waiting all offseason for somebody to ask what I weigh. I was going to mess around and tell them that I weigh about 250, 260."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Here he is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Caravan Kearns 1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	3256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Caravan Kearns 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	3257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Caravan Kearns 3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	3258  
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Here he is!

He's lost weight. For whatever that's worth.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

For those who have never seen Ears in person, up close, he is actually a pretty big framed guy. I was surprised, as from seeing him on TV before he seemed to me like he would be smaller.

Edit: Oh, and this was before he "got fat".
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Kearns is the key to getting "Adam Dunn" signed to a LTC...

JaredRoberts.com

Turn Off Ads?