Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bond Movie?

Favorite Bond Movie?

I have been watching a lot of Bond Movies lately and was curious as to others favorite Bond Movies? I am partial to "A View to a Kill" myself. Grace Jones and Christopher Walken make great villians and Tanya Roberts was a major Bond Hottie....
    Baseball is life

2. Turn Off Ads?
    This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Re: Favorite Bond Movie?

I was never thrilled with Roger Moore...he wasn't really macho enough. I really liked Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan. Favorites were probably "Goldfinger" and "Goldeneye."

Dr.No

"That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six"
    Go Gators!

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Goldfinger - plot includes KY and Honor Blackman (as ***** Galore - which is still the "best" female name in a Bond movie) and RedsZone has ***** it out!!! -is a great femme fatale. This was actually the first Bond movie that I "saw". It was a double feature at a drive-in in the 60's. Me, my little sis and my parents borrowed a neighbor's station wagon to see a Disney movie (I thought it was the Aristocats-but that came out in 1970!) and Goldfinger. I stayed up to see Shirley Eaton covered in gold on the bed - then I fell asleep. Didn't see the complete movie until I bought the VHS tape!

Dr. No - my appreciation has growned over the years for this one. Many of the elements of a Bond movie was forged in this first movie. How he likes his martini, his relationship with Miss Moneypenny, M and Q, etc. The only thing that I don't like now is the "orientalizing" of some of the main characters - but it was the times.

A View To A Kill - the title track ('nuff said) Maybe I should start a "Favorite Bond Song" thread. Let's see... 1) A View To A Kill, 2) Goldfinger and 3) You Only Live Twice.

On AMC they sometimes show the "enhanced" versions which show facts at the bottom of the screen - I really enjoyed those.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 18-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Goldfinger. Best in my opinion.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Most critics regard "Goldfinger" as the best Bond movie ever made, but, while it is one of my favorites, it is not my most favorite 007 film. My two favorites would be "Thunderball" and "Goldeneye."
    "Thundeball" has a plot that makes sense (not always the case in a Bond film), isn't overwhelmed by gadgets, features a lovely "Bond girl" in Claudine Auger, a great Bond villian in "Largo," and has Sean Connery in top form. Connery is my favorite 007.
    "Goldeneye" was a terrific Bond debut by my second favorite actor to play 007, Pierce Brosnan, has a good plot, a beautiful "Bond girl" in Izabella Scorupco, a wonderful "Bad Bond girl" in Famke Janssen, a goof bad guy in Sean Bean, and a final battle between Brosnan and Bean rivaled in Bond films only by Connery and Robert Shaw's fight in "From Russia With Love" (another of my favorites).
    Other 007 movies I particularly liked were "The Spy Who Loved Me", "The Living Daylights", "License To Kill" and "The World Is Not Enough."
    My least favortie Bond movies are "Diamonds Are Forever," "The Man With The Golden Gun" and "From A View To A Kill."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Since SanDiegoRed started this thread by posting that he was partial to "A View To A Kill" and I then ranked the same movie as one of my least favorite Bond films, I thought I'd add why I am not that fond of AVTAK.
    The movie did have its strong points. I agree that Walken and Jones were good villians, and that Roberts is a "Hottie." Patrick MacNee was also very good in the movie.
    That said, in my opinion AVTAK had several weaknesses. First, it tried too hard with the humor. The opening segment was okay until the playing of The Beach Boys' "California Girls" destroyed any suspense in Bond's escape, followed by the absurdity of the interior of the submarine in which Bond makes his escape. This scene is soon followed by the silly segment wherein the car in which Bond is pursuing Grace Jones keeps being cut apart.
    I also wasn't that crazy about Tanya Roberts' character. Yes, she physically was a "Hottie" but her character ranks with Jill St. John's "Tiffany Case" and Britt Ekland's "Mary Goodnight" as the biggest airheads among "Bond girls."
    Some of the gadgets were a bit pointless, especially the robot dog Q uses to see if Bond and Stacey Sutton are okay in the final scene. Why not simply knock on the front door and ask them if they are all right?
    Bond films always run a fine line in being suspense thrillers with comedic overtones without being over-the-top Austin Powers parodies. I thought that AVATK, for all its strengths, went over the line.

1-20 while listening to the sound tracks

1.Dr.No: (orginal..the best)
    2.From Russia With Love: (the almost perfect one)
    3.On Her Majesty's Secrete Service: (Gee..follow the book, what a concept)
    4.The Spy Who Loved Me: (Russian agents are cool )
    5.Goldfinger: (the original over the top gadget movie)
    6.Thunderball: (Good theme song)
    7.For Your Eyes Only: (great title, nice nod to Bond's Mrs)
    8.Goldeneye:...Good one
    9.You only Live Twicegets high marks for music)
    10.The Man With the Golden Guncomical..but funny )
    11.The Living DaylightsI'm always partial to the cold war movies)
    12.A View To A Killfirst Bond movie I remember)
    13.Tomorrow Never DiesPoor Brosnan)
    14.Live and Let Diea lot of people love this one, I find it to be pushing believability to the max)
    15.License To Kill:BOOOO
    16.Diamonds Are Forever (Connery should have stayed retired)
    17.Moonraker: (Ugh)
    18.Octo..ya know: (good story but just boring, Moore was too old starting here)
    19.Die Another Day: (had a lot of potential and flushed every bit of it)
    20.The World Is Not Enough: (worst one..by far..pity Brosnan started getting crap scripts)
    Last edited by KronoRed; 01-29-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    Go Gators!

Thunderball and From Russia with Love

Goldeneye from Brosnan's reign
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My favorite Bond movie is still You Only Live Twice. It's not the best made movie to feature Bond (that'd be On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which was just a well done film), but I definately find it to be the most entertaining. It's seriously got everything you could want in a Bond flick: gadgets, exotic locale, evil organization vying for world domination, Americans and Russians fighting, ninjas, over-the-top evil lair, and giant battle at the end. Although it's legacy is slightly tarnished by the fact that the original Austin Powers is pretty much a direct rip on it, I still love it.

Worst of all time/My least favorite is easily Tomorrow Never Dies. I don't know what it is about that movie, but it really just felt like an action movie that happened to have James Bond in it. The plot about a media mogul trying to start a war could've been interesting, but it just came off badly.

Someone needs to go back and read some of the old Flemming books before they make any more Bond movies, becuase he's a much deeper and more interesting character than he has been lately.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Krono has "The World Is Not Enough" at 13 and 20, but omits "Tomorrow Never Dies."

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    My favorite Bond movie is still You Only Live Twice. It's not the best made movie to feature Bond (that'd be On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which was just a well done film), but I definately find it to be the most entertaining. It's seriously got everything you could want in a Bond flick: gadgets, exotic locale, evil organization vying for world domination, Americans and Russians fighting, ninjas, over-the-top evil lair, and giant battle at the end. Although it's legacy is slightly tarnished by the fact that the original Austin Powers is pretty much a direct rip on it, I still love it.

Worst of all time/My least favorite is easily Tomorrow Never Dies. I don't know what it is about that movie, but it really just felt like an action movie that happened to have James Bond in it. The plot about a media mogul trying to start a war could've been interesting, but it just came off badly.

Someone needs to go back and read some of the old Flemming books before they make any more Bond movies, becuase he's a much deeper and more interesting character than he has been lately.
    I've never been that big a fan of "You Only Live Twice." I thought Connery looked a bit bored with the film, and it had a bit too many set pieces for me. I thought that "Little Nellie" was a silly, unbelievable gadget. I thought that it was ridiculous for the "bad girl" to trap and leave Bond in a plane (If you have him trapped, why jump out of the plane?)-this was a stupid idea used again at the start of "Moonraker" and later used in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." I didn't think that Donald Pleasance made a good Blofeld.
    "Tomorrow Never Dies" started off okay but lost its way to me. Again too many set pieces just to justify a stunt without advancing the plot, and I thought that Brosnan had no chemistry with Michelle Yeoh.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    "Goldeneye" was a terrific Bond debut by my second favorite actor to play 007, Pierce Brosnan, has a good plot, a beautiful "Bond girl" in Izabella Scorupco, a wonderful "Bad Bond girl" in Famke Janssen, a goof bad guy in Sean Bean, and a final battle between Brosnan and Bean rivaled in Bond films only by Connery and Robert Shaw's fight in "From Russia With Love" (another of my favorites).
    The only two complaints I have about Goldeneye are 1.) that they killed off Sean Bean's 006 character and 2.) (really trivial) They screwed with the "James Bond" theme and didn't play it often enough. On the issue of 006, with as bad as the Bond movies got after Goldeneye, I think they would've benefitted from having a single "mastermind" bad guy that Bond was after the entire time -- a Bloefeld for the modern times. It might've helped hold some of the scripts together if they were forced into a little bit of continuity. Plus, I loved the idea of James Bond facing a man who was every bit as talented and resourceful as he is

That's not really a ding on Goldeneye as a movie, but a complaint that does knock it a notch in my book.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I imagine they didn't expect to make lesser movies after Goldeneye, it just turned out that way.

It was the start of a new franchise with Brosnan.

And as RedsBaron said earlier, Thunderball had a near perfect plot. It had it all, plausible gadgets, a real threat of stolen nukes, the perfect villians, and a magnificant babe.

By far my favorite of all time.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The only two complaints I have about Goldeneye are 1.) that they killed off Sean Bean's 006 character and 2.) (really trivial) They screwed with the "James Bond" theme and didn't play it often enough. On the issue of 006, with as bad as the Bond movies got after Goldeneye, I think they would've benefitted from having a single "mastermind" bad guy that Bond was after the entire time -- a Bloefeld for the modern times. It might've helped hold some of the scripts together if they were forced into a little bit of continuity. Plus, I loved the idea of James Bond facing a man who was every bit as talented and resourceful as he is

That's not really a ding on Goldeneye as a movie, but a complaint that does knock it a notch in my book.
    I hadn't thought of the possibility of bringing Sean Bean's character back, since 007 movies had been routinely killing the main bad guy at the end of the film ever since "Live and Let Die." That is an interesting idea.
    Just about every Bond movie has its strong points and also has parts that could have been done so much better. For example, I thought "Die Another Day" started off okay, but the second half of the movie, from about the time Q shows Bond the invisible car, just collapsed IMO.

Turn Off Ads?