Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Piazza signs with Padres...

Reds and 26.2's

Piazza signs with Padres...

One year..2 million..

I figured he'd go to the A.L. to DH. Now he says he wants to catch 90-100 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Piazza signs with Padres...

Baffeling move by the padres.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Baffeling move by the padres.
    their offense is about as bad as the Reds pitching. At least they are only taking a chance for 2 million instead of 8 or 9 million. I think that the pub that they will get is worth some of that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

got alil captain in u?

why would u sign an old man to play catcher who can't stay healthy who we all kno his prime has passed him by and even they try to put him at first we all know how much of a disaster that was and when he catches my grandma could steal on him

That's a curious decision by Piazza to sign there. Of course he gets to play in Coors Field 8 or 9 times a year but he has to play in S.D. 81 times a year. Not to mention L.A. and S.F. aren't exactly great HR parks. He might be fortunate to even get 15 HRs. He's a lousy first baseman and a lousy catcher. Now I don't know the stats on this but I would think that since Petco park is Death Valley to HRs, managers would tend to steal and bunt more often. Even the captain's grandma can steal on him. Good deal for the Pads to get him for one year for only $2M. It'll sell some tickets there and even if he stinks they aren't committed to him beyond this year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was going to guess that it was a desire to live on the west coast that drove Piazza to this deal, but apparently that wasn't the biggest reason.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...printstory.jsp

Playing time was key in Piazza decision, catcher's dad says

BY JIM SALISBURY
    Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA - Playing close to home and chasing his 400th home run with the team he grew up rooting for were enticing possibilities for Mike Piazza.

In the end, however, the Norristown, Pa.-born slugging catcher chose to sign with the San Diego Padres simply because they offered more playing time than the Phillies.

"He came very close to signing with the Phillies," Vince Piazza, Mike's father, said last night. "I don't know all the particulars, but the fact that he was going to have the opportunity to catch quite a few more games made a difference."

Piazza, 37, agreed Sunday to a one-year contract worth $2 million. The deal includes a mutual option worth $8 million for 2007.

The Phils had hoped to use Piazza in a variety of reserve roles. He could have occasionally spelled catcher Mike Lieberthal, gotten time at first base behind Ryan Howard, and been used as a pinch-hitter.

In San Diego, Piazza is expected to do the bulk of the team's catching and bat in the middle of the order.

"I'm disappointed," said Vince Piazza, a Phillies season-ticket holder. "I would have loved to have seen him be a Phillie. That's our hometown team. He grew up going to the Vet.

"But he wanted to catch a lot more, and the Phillies are in a tough situation because they already have a darn good catcher. Mike understands the situation. He still loves the Phillies and roots for them."

Piazza, a lifetime .311 hitter, was National League rookie of the year in 1993. He holds the record for most homers in a career as a catcher (374) and has hit 397 overall.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    and when he catches my grandma could steal on him
    But what's her OBP? After all, she can't steal first.

He'll allow wild pitches galore and she'll reach on that
    Go Gators!

Not a bad deal at all for 2 million. Keep in mind that Womack is making about that much (even though the Yanks are picking up some of the tab).

Wouldn't make sense for the Reds to sign him with LaRue in tow (since Piazza wants to catch), but a good move for SD, IMO.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?