Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interview Phillies Asst. GM

Reds interview Phillies Asst. GM

Add one more name to the list of candidates vying to become the next Reds general manager.
    The club announced Sunday that Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle would be the seventh person to get an interview. A scheduled date wasn't revealed but it was believed likely to happen some time this week.

Last week, new owner/chief executive officer Bob Castellini dismissed GM Dan O'Brien in his first major decision after taking over. Baseball operations director Brad Kullman has been serving as interim GM.

Arbuckle joined the Phillies as scouting director following the 1992 season after 12 years as a scout in the Braves organization. The 55-year-old has been given credit for building the Philadelphia farm system and became player development director in 2000 before assuming the assistant GM title in 2001.

Kullman is one of four internal candidates for the job besides international scouting director Johnny Almaraz, special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox and special advisor Jim Beattie.

Other external contenders besides Arbuckle are Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak and Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky.

Arbuckle interviewed this off-season for the Phillies GM job that went to Pat Gillick. He also had interviews in recent years for GM posts in Boston, Pittsburgh and Toronto

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds interview Phillies Ass. GM

I would love to see the uproar if Arbuckle got the job, though I don't think he has a shot.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

EXCELLENT choice. Geez. I can't say how much respect he has in Baseball. WOW. This is good news.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...122callis.html

Track Records Of Success

The Phillies keep coming up just short in the National League playoff race despite an impressive pipeline of homegrown talent. Assistant GM Mike Arbuckle was Philadelphia's scouting director from 1993-2001, drafting Pat Burrell, Ryan Howard, Ryan Madson, Jason Michaels, Brett Myers, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley and Randy Wolf.

Arbuckle's picks also included Adam Eaton, Johnny Estrada, Scott Rolen and Derrick Turnbow, whom the Phillies let slip away. Gillick may have Hall of Fame credentials, but Arbuckle is more likely to stick around for the long haul.
    Code:
    Mike Arbuckle

Year 	Team 	Title 	Function
    1993 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    1994 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    1995 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    1996 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    1997 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    1998 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    1999 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    2000 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    2001 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Director of Scouting
    	Scouting Director
    2002 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Assistant GM, Scouting / Player Development

2003 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Assistant GM, Scouting / Player Development
    	Assistant GM
    2004 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Assistant GM, Scouting / Player Development
    	Assistant GM
    2005 	Philadelphia Phillies 	Assistant GM, Scouting / Player Development
    	Assistant GM

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    EXCELLENT choice. Geez. I can't say how much respect he has in Baseball. WOW. This is good news.
    The guy's a slobbering moron. In 13 seasons on his watch, the Phillies have produced exactly three pitchers - Randy Wolf, Brett Myers and Ryan Madson. That's it. Three pitchers, 13 years.

Go back and take a look at Phillies top 10 lists from the past decade. Yeah, they've churned out a few players in that time - Scott Rolen being the sole great player from the bunch with Ryan Howard as the other guy who maybe could join him in those ranks. Yet most of it is a comedy routine. The Phillies run one of the LEAST productive systems in baseball. If the Reds bring in the chucklehead who's overseen that nasty bit of work then you might as euthanize this franchise.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark

The Geez comment and the respect comment above this post confuses me. Are you guys serious and this is a good sign or are you being sarcastic. I seriously cannot tell anymore.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The guy's a slobbering moron.
    I think "slobbering moron" is a bit extreme. Although the Phillies haven't been that productive in generating high end pitchers, they have generated a lot more coveted players than the Reds have generated in recent years. I don't know how many of the young pitchers I saw play for the Phillies between 1998 and 2002 when I lived in Philly, but they generated far more than the Reds. Some were acquired in trades (e.g. Padilla), but Arbuckle was in scouting, so he deserves some credit for the acquired pitchers, too. He also ran the development system that has staffed the team AND provided a good amount of midseason trade bait every year. Those are markers of a good farm system that are often mutually exclusive when you look across baseball. The Braves are the best example of a team that can do both really well.

The Phillies have been in contention the past few years, despite playing in the NL East, having Ed Wade running the show, and having a series of soap operas occur in the clubhouse. Arbuckle deserves some credit for the team's success and young talent during that period. He is not my choice for GM, or in the top tier going into the interviews, but I would hardly characterize him as a moron or his work as covered in slobber.

I wouldn't worry too much about him getting hired,folks. The chances of that happening are likely very minimal. Just an interview.
    And this one belongs to the Reds!!!- Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman

Heh. When I first read this thread title, I thought the Reds were going to interview Ed Wade.

'Cause the abbreviation of "Assitant" is "Asst".
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Heh. When I first read this thread title, I thought the Reds were going to interview Ed Wade.

'Cause the abbreviation of "Assitant" is "Asst".

I didn't think specifically of Wade, but when I saw it, I did a double-take too. They are going to interview a "Donkey GM."

I definitely wouldn't want him getting the job.
    Last edited by CincyRedsFan30; 01-30-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30

I didn't think specifically of Wade, but when I saw it, I did a double-take too. They are going to interview a "Donkey GM."

I definitely wouldn't want him getting the job.
    I'm going into Best Buy tomorrow to buy a laptop. And if the salesman doesn't give me the info I need, I'm for sure going to ask to speak with the Ass. Manager.

Sounds like a strip club employee title. "Yo! Shaniqua! We got a problem. You need to go speak with the Ass. Manager."
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I posted this interview on another thread, but I'll put it up again:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1485751.html

I don't know enough about the Phillies off the top of my head to call him a slobbering moron, but he's never impressed me.

He's way too tool-infatuated and too oblivious to the benefits of data-driven analysis.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I thought it was interesting:

-In that interview he says that there's a trend in hiring GMs that are lawyers and Ivy League Graduates. If I'm not mistaken, at the time of the interview only two GMs were attorneys (Theo and Garagiola) and only one was an Ivy League graduate (Theo).
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

So basically he is a tools-guy, meaning he would be Jim Bowden II. No thanks.

Of course, that would explain the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    I think "slobbering moron" is a bit extreme. Although the Phillies haven't been that productive in generating high end pitchers, they have generated a lot more coveted players than the Reds have generated in recent years. I don't know how many of the young pitchers I saw play for the Phillies between 1998 and 2002 when I lived in Philly, but they generated far more than the Reds. Some were acquired in trades (e.g. Padilla), but Arbuckle was in scouting, so he deserves some credit for the acquired pitchers, too. He also ran the development system that has staffed the team AND provided a good amount of midseason trade bait every year. Those are markers of a good farm system that are often mutually exclusive when you look across baseball. The Braves are the best example of a team that can do both really well.

The Phillies have been in contention the past few years, despite playing in the NL East, having Ed Wade running the show, and having a series of soap operas occur in the clubhouse. Arbuckle deserves some credit for the team's success and young talent during that period. He is not my choice for GM, or in the top tier going into the interviews, but I would hardly characterize him as a moron or his work as covered in slobber.
    I thought I was being generous to the guy. Let's compare the Phillies 1998-2002 prospects list vs. the Reds.

PHILLIES

The good -

Jimmy Rollins
    Pat Burrell
    Randy Wolf
    Brett Myers
    Derrick Turnbow
    Ryan Madson
    Chase Utley

So thats the three pitchers I mentioned. One's at a crossroads due to injury. One just had his first good season. The other has been a solid middle reliever (and could blossom into a solid starter). Turnbow blossomed five years and two organizations after he left Philly. Rollins isn't anything special. Utley's a platoon 2B who just had his first good season at age 26. Burrell's been up and down.

The blah -

Bobby Estalella
    Marlon Anderson
    Adam Eaton
    Eric Valent
    Reggie Taylor
    Carlos Silva
    Marlon Byrd

Eaton's never had an above average ERA. Silva did for the Twins last season, but that was done with mirrors.

The rest -

Ryan Brannan
    Carlton Loewer
    Dave Coggin
    Rob Burger
    Brad Baisley
    Carlos Duncan
    Jorge Padilla
    Doug Nickle
    Josue Perez
    Andy Machado
    Brandon Duckworth
    Gavin Floyd
    Taylor Buchholz
    Miguel Ascencio

Baisley had buzz once upon a time. Buchholz and Duckworth did too and they helped fetch Billy Wagner. So that's something. Floyd's been wildly overpromoted (for which Arbuckle deserves some blame) and he's been ripped pretty well in AAA and the majors showing stuff that's nowhere near as electric as it was billed.

REDS

The Good -

Aaron Boone
    Jason LaRue
    Austin Kearns
    Scott Williamson
    Adam Dunn
    Ben Broussard

Dunn's the best player on either list. Williamson won the ROY. LaRue's a solid catcher. Kearns, frustrating as he is, has an .821 OPS (Burrell's at .834). Boone's made an All-Star team and has himself 95 career Win Shares. LaRue's a solid catcher. Broussard's been a borderline guy here, but he's got a 109 career OPS+.

The Blah -

Damian Jackson
    John Riedling

No arguing, that's thin.

The Rest -

Jim Crowell
    DeWayne Wise
    Scott Winchester
    Gookie Dawkins
    Pat Watkins
    Buddy Carlyle
    Brandon Larson
    Mike Frank
    Pedro Minaya
    Jacobo Sequea
    Ty Howington
    Antonio Perez
    Alejandro Diaz
    David Espinosa
    Dustin Moseley
    Dane Sardinha
    Ray Olmedo

Howington was a hot property that fizzled. Sequea (along with B.J. Ryan, who worked out all right) helped fetch Juan Guzman for the 1999 stretch run. Perez, Espinosa and Olmedo may all have futures as bench players.

The Phils run a bit ahead because of the Blah list, but then take a look at the young players the Reds added in the 1998-2002 time frame - Sean Casey, Danny Graves, Dmitri Young, Paul Konerko (who fetched Mike Cameron, who fetched Jr.), Wily Mo Pena, Edwin Encarnacion.

The Phils added Bob Abreu (big score) and Vicente Padilla. I won't get into the rocket science of running off Scott Rolen or the dog of a deal the Phils made with the Cardinals when he got sent away.

Scouting's not just the draft, it's being able to identify guys worth plucking from other organizations. Add these guys into the drafted prospects list and the two systems come out just about dead even.

So I ask you, how many kind words should I address toward a guy who's run a Reds-comparable system?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    The Geez comment and the respect comment above this post confuses me. Are you guys serious and this is a good sign or are you being sarcastic. I seriously cannot tell anymore.
    The "geez" comment is a BIG Positive. I was in shock when I heard he was on the list. There are not enough words for me to express how important it would be to have Mr. Arbuckle at the helm.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?