http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....601300320/1027

Monday, January 30, 2006

Wilson progressing 'very well'
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Zoom JIM OSBORN/Post file photo
    Reds pitcher Paul Wilson is already in Sarasota

• Dunn's hand not a worry

The list of factors that will have to fall exactly into place for the Reds to contend this year is longer than the team would like, but there are encouraging signs on one key front.

Right-hander Paul Wilson, just over seven months removed from arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and frayed labrum in his pitching shoulder, is progressing "very well" in workouts at the Reds' complex in Sarasota.

That's the report from team trainer Mark Mann, who has been in Florida working with Wilson for the past week and a half. Mann said Sunday that Wilson had thrown off the mound about five times and is "pain-free" to this point.

"Right now he's throwing at about 75 percent, and we're just trying to build his pitch volume more than anything," said Mann. "As his volume grows, we'll pick up the intensity. By the time the rest of the pitchers report, he'll be throwing live BP sessions - as of now, that's what he's scheduled to do."

Assuming all goes well, said Mann, Wilson should be in line to pitch in Grapefruit League games sometime in March.

The Reds have said all along that they don't plan to rush Wilson back. If necessary, manager Jerry Narron would begin the season with another pitcher holding down Wilson's spot in the starting rotation. Right-hander Matt Belisle would seem a logical option after spending last year in a number of bullpen roles.

Before too long, though, the Reds will need to get something out of Wilson. The veteran, who will turn 33 in March, signed a two-year, $8.2 million contract prior to last season but didn't provide much return in 2005.

Wilson got the ball on Opening Day and produced the first of four quality starts in April, but his first outing the following month was the beginning of the end. In a start against the Dodgers on May 6 at Great American Ball Park, the first eight batters he faced reached base and eventually scored.

Though he insisted nothing was physically wrong with him, Wilson was shelled in two more starts before the Reds pulled the plug and put him on the disabled list May 25. Three weeks later, he had season-ending surgery.

STILL SHOPPING - The Reds have softened their position on the trade availability of their young outfielders, most notably Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, but a transaction or two isn't out of the question before spring training begins.

Interim general manager Brad Kullman said Sunday that he wouldn't mind adding a veteran arm to the bullpen, and there are some low-cost options available. Kullman didn't mention any names, but a couple of right-handers who spent last year with the Pirates and remain on the market, Brian Meadows and Rick White, could be possibilities.

A published report Friday said the Reds were one of three teams Meadows was considering, and though Kullman said that day that no talks had taken place on his watch, he acknowledged Sunday that "things change from day to day."

Earlier this offseason, Danny Horwits - agent for both Meadows and White - said there had been some preliminary conversations with the Reds about White, a native of Springfield, Ohio. White did not return a call seeking comment Sunday, but a person familiar with the situation said there has been some recent contact with the Reds.

HEALING UP - Speaking of bullpen veterans, David Weathers is still recovering from a torn extensor tendon in his right index finger suffered while playing catch two weeks ago.

Mann said Weathers is still in a splint and will be evaluated next Tuesday by the doctor in Tennessee that has been treating him.

"At that point, depending upon how his exam looks and how his finger looks," said Mann, "that will determine whether he begins throwing at that point in time or he's splinted for one additional week."

Whichever way it goes, the Reds don't expect Weathers to be limited once he gets to spring training.

Print | Go back | Copyright 2006, The Post
    Last edited by BoydsOfSummer; 01-30-2006 at 09:06 AM.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilson Progressing Well

Did the Reds get any insurance money for Wilson missing most of the year,,,may be a dumb question but just wondering

I hope he gets all better and pitches like the Paul Wilson of old.

Wait...

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    Did the Reds get any insurance money for Wilson missing most of the year,,,may be a dumb question but just wondering
    If they have a standard policy on him, and if he went on the DL May 28 (IIRC), then the policy would have kicked in late in August, so the Reds would have collected maybe six weeks of insurance at 75% of Wilson's pay.

That's if they have a standard policy on him. Given his injury history, that may not have been possible.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Wilson Progressing Well
    The equivalent of the Scotsman telling his friend, "The Haggis is almost done!"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    If they have a standard policy on him, and if he went on the DL May 28 (IIRC), then the policy would have kicked in late in August, so the Reds would have collected maybe six weeks of insurance at 75% of Wilson's pay.

That's if they have a standard policy on him. Given his injury history, that may not have been possible.

My understanding is that those policies are getting harder and harder to get, and I doubt that the Reds had one on Wilson.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    My understanding is that those policies are getting harder and harder to get, and I doubt that the Reds had one on Wilson.
    From what I've read, it's difficult to get a policy on more than a 3 year deal. Wilson's was only a 2 year deal so it might not have been as difficult but considering his injury history and the fact that the Reds knew he wasn't 100% healthy when they re-signed him, I think it's extremely unlikely that there was a policy on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

By the time the rest of the pitchers report, he'll be throwing live BP sessions - as of now, that's what he's scheduled to do
    Live BP sessions? Sounds like he's ready to join Milton and Dave Williams in leading this team to the World Series.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    Live BP sessions? Sounds like he's ready to join Milton and Dave Williams in leading this team to the World Series.
    Wouldn't you prefer they feel that way, rather than the alternative?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Wouldn't you prefer they feel that way, rather than the alternative?
    In all honesty, I could care less. These guys are what they are. An average performance from this trio is barely more than live BP. All the positive thinking in the world won't transform these ugly ducklings into swans.

I'm holding out some hope for Wilson. Might as well. We've got him, and if he can repeat his 04 performance he'll be better than ... well ... he would've been our 3rd best starter in 05, and while I know that's damning praise at best, what else have you got?

I'm looking forward to watching him throw in ST.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I still hold to my post last year that I'll be shocked if he ever pitches in a real game again.
    Go Gators!

the problem is that Paul Wilson at a 100% isn't very good.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I still hold to my post last year that I'll be shocked if he ever pitches in a real game again.
    I agree Krono...around Feb 27 a story about a slight set back will surface...then Mid-March, he'll be shut down for rest....etc, etc
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I think you had to be at that Dodgers game to really appreciate how bad he looked. Having seen that first hand, I would agree that a Wilson comeback is highly unlikely. That being said, I won't be shocked in the least if the Reds put him on the mound anyway.

Turn Off Ads?