Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I read after Moneyball?

What should I read after Moneyball?

I know im a few years behind, but im about to finish up Moneyball and I think the next book im going to read is License to Deal by Jerry Crasnick. What are some suggestions for a book after that. I would really like to look into some of the specifics about the Moneyball stats so what are some of the books out there on that? Or should I read Three Nights in August? Or what are some other good baseball books out there? Definatly would like to read a book with the Reds involved.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What should I read after Moneyball?

I just finished Three Nights in August a few weeks ago. It's interesting and a pretty quick read, but certainly one of the more frustrating books I've read lately. It only reinforced my belief that nobody overmanages more than Tony LaRussa.

The book 'Mind Game' from BP was fairly interseting too.

You have to read ball four. Different than what you want maybe though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k
    I know im a few years behind, but im about to finish up Moneyball and I think the next book im going to read is License to Deal by Jerry Crasnick. What are some suggestions for a book after that. I would really like to look into some of the specifics about the Moneyball stats so what are some of the books out there on that? Or should I read Three Nights in August? Or what are some other good baseball books out there? Definatly would like to read a book with the Reds involved.
    Here's some you can't go wrong with.

Men at Work - George Will

The Numbers Game - Alan Schwartz

Lords of the Realm - John Heylar

Why Time begins on Opening Day - Thomas Boswell

Here are some upcoming books that I'm pretty excited about:

Baseball Between the Numbers by Baseball Prospectus
    The Mind of Bill James by Scott Gray
    Fantasyland by Sam Walker (Read an ARC of this and it was fantastic)

If you can find it, "Dollar Sign on the Muscle" by Kevin Kerrane is a great followup to "Moneyball"
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    If you can find it, "Dollar Sign on the Muscle" by Kevin Kerrane is a great followup to "Moneyball"
    I can't seem to find that one. Even check the library to no avail. Once in awhile I check ebay to see if I can locate it there ... no luck.

Edit: Now I know why; $320? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...lance&n=283155

GL

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I was lucky enough to find Dollar Sign on the Muscle at my local library. I agree that it would be an excellent book to follow Moneyball. A recommended read at anytime I'd say.

How good is it? I found this copy on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...lance&n=283155
    Last edited by BoydsOfSummer; 01-30-2006 at 01:45 PM.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I can't seem to find that one. Even check the library to no avail. Once in awhile I check ebay to see if I can locate it there ... no luck.

Edit: Now I know why; $320? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...lance&n=283155

GL
    Inter-library loan is the way to go on hard to get items. I used it for some Abstracts, got them from St. Louis.

Ask your local if they partcipate in it, ours does and I can order all my books online and they'll call me when I can pick them up at the libray branch of my choice.

Believer since 1981

Being a Reds fan right now, I would suggest you read the bible... you are going to need some type of faith to get through this next season!!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

GL

Kevin Kerrane has been on XM radio a couple of times. They talked like a reprint may be happening in the future, but nothing definite.

I got lucky and snagged mine online for $40 a couple of years ago, and I've passed it around to local friends. It's a classic.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Two baseball books I'd read (and they really have nothing to do with Moneyball, but are great):

1. The Long Season by Jim Brosnan
    2. Richard Ben Cramer's book on Joe Dimaggio.

The Peter Gammons book...called, i think... After the 6th game, details the downfall of BOS team due to FA and problems with ownership.

Details the game in general from pre-FA to effects during and after.

i have Dollar Sign on the Muscle; it was required for a class i took. good stuff, though i hate the writing style.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Just finished "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter the other night. Another one I'd recommend highly, it's considered a classic and I concur.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?