Turn Off Ads?

Thread: James Avery: Starter?

James Avery: Starter?

Why do I keep hearing about how Avery has a future as a reliever? He's got a 93-94 MPH fastball and two other solid pitches in his curveball and change. What's the deal and how did somebody with his stuff slip so far in the draft?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Post To Contact

Re: James Avery: Starter?

Avery was having problems getting his visa cleared (he's Canadian) last summer, and I know that contributed to his stock dropping somewhat in the draft... the only other thing I recall off the top of my head from covering last year's draft, was, at the time at least, it was thought that he had a good fastball but not much for secondary pitches. Perhaps he's on his way to improving that now.

Hey any Canuck who is progressing well as a ball player I am most defintly pulling for him

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

and a Niagara University dude as well (25 minutes from here)...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

<<<<<<<<it was thought that he had a good fastball but not much for secondary pitches. Perhaps he's on his way to improving that now.>>>>>>>>>

Really? From my view, his draft video and what I saw of him in Dayton, he shows a nice curve and changeup.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

John Sickels take:

James Avery was selected in the fifht round last June, from Niagra University. He throws fairly hard, his fastball reaching 94 mph at times, but his slider is below average and he occasionally has problems with command. He's rather raw as college pitchers go, although he pitched reasonably well in his pro debut. At this point, Avery is basically an arm with potential. He needs to improve his slider to mkae his arm strength maeningful. Grade C
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Avery doesn't even have a slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    Avery doesn't even have a slider.

Well, I guess that's why it's below average.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I wonder what way below counts as?

the anti-slider?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?