Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 80s Reds videos

80s Reds videos

I was wondering if anyone videotaped any Reds games from the mid 80s and still has them? I'm looking for any games that Dave Van Gorder appeared in. Starting, coming in on defense, whatever. I contacted the Reds who told me to contact MLB but more than likely "they wouldn't have anything because they don't keep videos" So then where does ESPN get their clips from? What about Classic Sports? I know that the mantra we hear during ball games, "the pictures and accounts of this game, blah, blah, without the written consent of MLB is prohibited". But I would love to have any tapes of any games he was in and I would pay for the cost of shipping and the tape. I don't want to get anyone trouble - don't want MLB to think we are making money off this.
    Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Julz

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: 80s Reds videos

MLB Productions is the arm of MLB that you want to contact to inquire about the availability. It doesn't appear they have anything to sell from that era, but they might be able to tell you whether anything has been produced that may show up on ESPN Classic someday.

Actually, you might have the best shot of finding something in an episode of "This Week in Baseball," especially if he had a play of the week or a blooper. I think Classic airs those once or twice a week year-round, at odd hours. If you have a DVR, you might set it to start recording them. I know I've seen an episode from '85 in the last few months.

Dave Van Gorder is he family?

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits
    Dave Van Gorder is he family?
    No, he was just my favorite player. Why do you ask?
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by WVJulz
    Julie
    Welcome to the board. I would imagine you are the president, charter, and only member of the Dave Van Gorder fan club--well at least the West Virginia chapter anyhow.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by WVJulz
    Julie
    Just wondering, it's just Dave career was limited and 20 years ago so the number of his fans is limited.

Hey, I met Dave Van Gorder once when I was like 12 and he was very personable and friendly. He signed my baseball card and asked me about what position I played and who my favorite Red was and invited me down to watch more games. He did a heckuva job.

The same line had Nick Esasky on the other end and he wanted to be there so bad he looked half-asleep.

The only other Red I ever had a conversation was with Brian Dorsett. There must be a connection between me and back-up Reds catchers.
    Last edited by Heath; 01-30-2006 at 11:08 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Julz - you might want to check out 9/11/1985. That day Dave Van Gorder came in as a defensive replacement for Bo Diaz. Tom Browning gained his 16th win in a 2-0 win over the Padres after 8 1/3 innings of 5 hit no run baseball.

Oh, yeah, little sidenote to the game - some guy named Rose had his 4192nd hit. It wasn't that great I guess. He's not in the Hall of Fame...

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Julz - you might want to check out 9/11/1985. That day Dave Van Gorder came in as a defensive replacement for Bo Diaz. Tom Browning gained his 16th win in a 2-0 win over the Padres after 8 1/3 innings of 5 hit no run baseball.

Oh, yeah, little sidenote to the game - some guy named Rose had his 4192nd hit. It wasn't that great I guess. He's not in the Hall of Fame...
    Thanks for the tip on 4,192. I knew he came in late in that game, but I wish I knew someone that taped games back then. I know I had some on tape but over the years things ended up lost and a lot of my tapes are gone.

And IMHO, Pete should be in the HOF. Maybe not Manager Pete Rose, but Pete Rose the player, it's a no brainer. Like Bob Costas said "SOMEONE got all those hits."

But thanks for the help on the video question. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone, somewhere taped them and still has some.

Julz

[QUOTE=Heath]Hey, I met Dave Van Gorder once when I was like 12 and he was very personable and friendly. He signed my baseball card and asked me about what position I played and who my favorite Red was and invited me down to watch more games. He did a heckuva job.

Dave was an extremely nice guy and he was a good, solid player and I'm glad you agree with me! Next round is on me, Heath!!!

Julz

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Welcome to the board. I would imagine you are the president, charter, and only member of the Dave Van Gorder fan club--well at least the West Virginia chapter anyhow.
    No, believe it or not, there are a few of us here in WV. : )

Although, Steve Swisher probably should have been one of my favorite players because he was born and raised here in my hometown of Parkersburg and graduated from Parkersburg South High School, which is also my alma mater. Oh, and Steve Yeager is a West Virginian by birth too.

But like I said, if you ever met Dave, you would understand. He was just a genuinely nice person.

Julz

ESPN classic will run the Reds feed of 9/11/85 intermittingly during the baseball season. They usually stash it in an afternoon slot - or sometimes as a "Classic Drive-In". They condense the whole game into 1 hr - but there isn't a whole lot you miss.

BTW - your announcers were Ken Wilson and Joe Morgan. I enjoy paint-drying much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    BTW - your announcers were Ken Wilson and Joe Morgan. I enjoy paint-drying much better.
    Ken Wilson drove me nuts...he made every swing and a miss sound like the 27th out of the 7th game of the world series.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?