Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick White does join Reds bullpen

Rick White does join Reds bullpen

Per Marc:

Veteran reliever Rick White has agreed to a one-year, $600,000 major league contract with the Reds. He also could earn up to $300,000 more in performance bonuses.

White, 37, is a lifelong resident of Springfield, Ohio. He made 71 appearances for the Pirates last year, going 4-7 with a 3.72 ERA and picking up a couple of saves. He has 520 career big-league appearances for the Pirates, Devil Rays, Mets, Rockies, Cardinals, White Sox, Astros and Indians.

The Reds will have to make a move to free up a slot on the 40-man roster. Could this be the end of the Bubba Nelson era?
    Posted this thinking it would get lost in the other thread

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Rick White does join Reds bullpen

So who do we lose from the 12 man staff? Of course, usually we start off with 11 in April, but let's assume that's Wilson's spot.

Locks:
    1 Harang
    2 Claussen
    3 Milton
    4 Williams
    5 Wilson (if healthy)
    6 Belisle
    7 Weathers
    8 Mercker
    9 Hammond
    10 White

Should be's :
    11 Coffey
    12 Hudson
    13 Wagner
    14 Shackleford

Maybes
    15 Simpson
    16 Hancock
    17 Standridge
    18 Burns

Hmmm... I'd say there's somewhere in the neighborhood of a 0% chance that all 4 of Weathers, Mercker, Hammond, and White are around come August 1st.

If I'd had to guess, Hudson stays up with a good spring, as does the best of Wagner, Coffey, and Shackleford. The other two start the season in AAA. I must say, it's the most depth we've had in quite a while. Spread the suckage around.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I think Coffey and Wagner need to be on this team. We need these guys to be good this year to have a reasonable bullpen.

Ricky Stone...part deux

I think it'll shake out this way to start things off:

1. Harang
    2. Claussen
    3. Milton
    4. Wilson (I think he'll be ready to go)
    5. Williams

Mercker
    Weathers
    Hammond
    White
    Belisle
    Coffey
    Wagner
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg
    Ricky Stone...part deux
    Yeah.

I hope he's cut very early in the season, but I doubt that's going to happen.

I can understand the need for bodies to pitch against the wall in the hopes of one of them sticking, but let's be serious--this guy's never going to be anything more than mop-up. Not that the Reds don't need that, but they need better stuff more.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yeah.

I hope he's cut very early in the season, but I doubt that's going to happen.
    hell, they gave him a major league deal.

I really don't understand this signing. You don't suppose that the Reds have a possible trade in progress, in which they send one of Mercker/Weathers plus one of our OF's for a starting pitcher? The Dodgers have plenty of good young pitching, plus a surplus 1st baseman. Naw, this is probably something that was in one of those pretty binders that DanO left in his desk. Too bad they didn't throw all those binders out.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

This is the final piece.

We have done it.

We are officially a 70 win team.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Is Rick White really Brad Kullman's cousin?

Sadly, our 2005 bullpen was full of guys who would envy that 3.72 ERA. I can't poor-mouth this signing. It did not break the budget.

How about signing Dunn and Lopez?????

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I think it'll shake out this way to start things off:

1. Harang
    2. Claussen
    3. Milton
    4. Wilson (I think he'll be ready to go)
    5. Williams

Mercker
    Weathers
    Hammond
    White
    Belisle
    Coffey
    Wagner
    I'm pretty sure I last heard Wilson will not be ready. I would say Hudson gets his spot, but you are close.

On the trade. I can't say it was a bad one as his numbers last year kill many of our BP players, but I can't say I really understand this. He's 37 and I don't want to see a Coffey, Belise, or Hudson spot taken by this guy. We'll see if something else goes down.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    I really don't understand this signing. You don't suppose that the Reds have a possible trade in progress, in which they send one of Mercker/Weathers plus one of our OF's for a starting pitcher? The Dodgers have plenty of good young pitching, plus a surplus 1st baseman. Naw, this is probably something that was in one of those pretty binders that DanO left in his desk. Too bad they didn't throw all those binders out.
    That's what it smells like. Either that or Coffey and/or Wagner are bound for greener pastures.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Barbarossa...I was thinking the same thing about a potential trade...it would be very creative.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I heard somewhere that Belisle will fill in for Wilson until he is healthy.
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?