Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White signs 1-year deal

Re: White signs 1-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    The addition of White is guaranteed to steal time from youth.
    Maybe. But at who's expense? Hancock? Everyone around here has a cringefest when he's even on the active roster much less inserted into a game. Ramirez? No one thinks he's anything special. Hudson? A failure as a starter and while he had some success last year as a long man, he certainly hasn't improved since he's been here. I imagine Belisle will be a setup guy or a starter and most people on here think Shackleford was just plain lucky last year. Standridge is nothing special. I'm not a fan of White but I think the argument of whether he's blocking some promising pitchers we have in the minor leagues is like saying Womack is blocking Ordonez and Bergolla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good points Chip. Unless White's stealing a roster spot from Wagner or Coffey, it's not like he's blocking anyone important. Looks like a firewall signing to me.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Good points Chip. Unless White's stealing a roster spot from Wagner or Coffey, it's not like he's blocking anyone important. Looks like a firewall signing to me.
    Agreed.

This has all the earmarkings of a "Warm Body" signing. Given the lack of pitchers in the rotation with the ability to pitch deep into ballgames (read: everyone not named Aaron), having as many warm bodies who can toss innnings out of the Bullpen isn't exactly a bad thing.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

my guess is simpson could be the odd man out.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    my guess is simpson could be the odd man out.
    Another guy who can't find the plate with a map and/or compass.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: White Finally To Pitch For Reds

Except White has made a handful of starts in his career. Yet another error for Mr. McCoy.

Dear Dayton Daily News,

Please may I request that Hal McCoy be removed from the DDN beat of the Cincinnati Reds. For years, Hal has graced our precence with thoughtful insights regarding the Reds. While McCoy's experience is valuable, one must consider the quality of his recent writings and factual checkings. While the degenerative vision condition that has taken over Hal, it has no doubt been a condition that is affecting his work and quality.

I've seen his faithful wife Nadine at his side taking him to dinner and walking around the Dayton area and she along with the DDN staffers assigned to Hal, should be commended for their service over the past few years.

Please for the benefit of the readers here in Dayton and the thousands online, please consider making Hal a "Reds Emeritus" a la Ritter Collett, and allow him for his feature writing on "Ask Hal" or "Baseball Insider" or the occasional game-day beat involving Opening Day and the like. Have Hal honored at a Dayton Dragons game for his "retirement".

After Hal has been taken off the Daily News beat, please look at the writings of Marc Lancaster of the Cincinnati Post. As you are well aware, the Post could cease to exist after December 31, 2006. Mr. Lancaster over the past two years has shown well-equipped to take the reins of the Reds beat for many years to come for the Dayton and Miami Valley area.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely -

A life-long Reds fan & long time DDN Subscriber.
    Last edited by Heath; 02-01-2006 at 01:57 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The back end of your bullpen should not be 35+ year old pitchers who have lost their stuff. It should be stocked with guys like Belisle, Shackelford, and in my opinion Ramirez who can learn on the job and work their way into a more vital role. If White bumps Belisle, Wagner, or Shackelford, I will be very concerned.
    FWIW I agree with what you write here. I think the best way to introduce a potential starting pitcher to the major league roster is to let him get his feet wet in the swingman/blowout role and as he succeeds there, put him into a bigger role. I think Earl Weaver was big on that.

For some reason, the reds don't do that.
    Guys come up too fast, get plugged into the starting rotation,
    They have a decent turn or two.
    The league adapts to them, but they don't adapt to the league.
    They start to get shelled.
    They get taken from the rotation and moved to the pen
    or dealt.

It's weird and we can't blame it on Gullet anymore.

I guess Jeff Shaw was unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Maybe. But at who's expense? Hancock? Everyone around here has a cringefest when he's even on the active roster much less inserted into a game. Ramirez? No one thinks he's anything special. Hudson? A failure as a starter and while he had some success last year as a long man, he certainly hasn't improved since he's been here. I imagine Belisle will be a setup guy or a starter and most people on here think Shackleford was just plain lucky last year. Standridge is nothing special. I'm not a fan of White but I think the argument of whether he's blocking some promising pitchers we have in the minor leagues is like saying Womack is blocking Ordonez and Bergolla.
    I guess with those examples I might agree with you. Wagner, Coffey, Simpson, and Burns were also on my list. They have more of an upside. Only two or three of those guys can now join the bullpen. Balfour, if healthy, has nowhere to go. The guys you mention will also be blocked, including Belisle, unless he is needed to spot start. What happens then when Wilson comes back? My point is: Why go out of house to bring in someone who is not necessarily better than what you've got, costs more, and blocks the growth of what you've got. For what it's worth, Womack is potentially blocking Freel and Olmedo and cost the team a better option via trade. That bothers me, too.

Why not sign Felix Rodriguez which JIMBO signed for same money that we signed Rick White for? Felix is younger.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG
    Felix is younger.
    We don't like youth in Cincy..we like old guys
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    I guess with those examples I might agree with you. Wagner, Coffey, Simpson, and Burns were also on my list. They have more of an upside. Only two or three of those guys can now join the bullpen. Balfour, if healthy, has nowhere to go. The guys you mention will also be blocked, including Belisle, unless he is needed to spot start. What happens then when Wilson comes back? My point is: Why go out of house to bring in someone who is not necessarily better than what you've got, costs more, and blocks the growth of what you've got. For what it's worth, Womack is potentially blocking Freel and Olmedo and cost the team a better option via trade. That bothers me, too.
    Well, I'm with M2 - since he agreed with me. If he's blocking guys like Wagner, Coffey and Belisle then it's a problem. If it's some of those stiffs you mentioned in AAA, then it's not a big deal. I'm not crazy about the signing and they could have done better. It's a real indictment on the Reds' past regimes that there aren't guys in AAA or AA that can fill that spot. Same way with Womack. I hate that signing but Olmedo or Bergolla aren't the answer either. I'm with you. I'd much rather have Freel out there every day but that is beside the point. The Reds don't have anyone in their system that could fill that bill either and that is a crying shame. Of course even if there were, Narron probably wouldn't play him anyway. But that's another story.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Freel has pretty much proved that he can't play everyday - last year showed that.

I think that even if White is standing in the way of Simpson, Standridge et al its still a problem. White has fulfilled his talent - ie he is a known quantity. He's not a top end bullpen mark either, serviceable but not what you would call an integral member of a bullpen. The others are relatively young, may have some improvement in them and could really be a find. I mean Harang took two years to blossom and Santana had to be picked up in a rule V before showcasing everything he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Freel has pretty much proved that he can't play everyday - last year showed that.
    And the previous year showed that he could.

I know this much, the speedy leadoff guy with the .370+ OB would be the first name I'd write in the lineup card as often as possible.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?