Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White signs 1-year deal

Re: White signs 1-year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
    Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment; named Mile LaCoss roving minor league pitching instructor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: White signs 1-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    And the previous year showed that he could.

I know this much, the speedy leadoff guy with the .370+ OB would be the first name I'd write in the lineup card as often as possible.
    I agree completely. The fact that Womack is now likely to displace Freel makes this year worse than last year for 2B, even with Aurilia's time in the position. The only way Freel can play everyday without making the team worse in other areas is if he plays at second or if someone gets hurt. I vote for the former. If Narron moves Freel to the OF to give Womack time at second, it hurts the team by replacing Kearns, Griffey, or Pena in the lineup with Womack and his horrific OPS. Moving Freel to 3B for the same reason will just take time from Encarnacion and his development. Freel has decent range and fielding numbers, comparable to Robinson Cano per Bill James, so I see no reason for him to sit while Womack plays.

As for White displacing younger Reds pitchers, I just think it creates a bad bottleneck. The team needs to decide on a number of these younger relievers. Perhaps the plan is to return Wagner to AAA, as was discussed in an earlier thread, which could free up more space in the bullpen. My concern is that Mercker, Weathers, Hammond, and White leave only 2 or 3 spots for other arms in the bullpen. Each of those pitchers is over 35. All but Hammond can walk after this year. The team needs to assess whether Coffey, Wagner, Belisle, Burns, Simpson, Standridge, Shackleford, Hancock, Balfour, and/or Ramirez are major league caliber pitchers this season and beyond. Maybe that can be done through AAA time and in season promotions due to injuries, but I would prefer to leave the middling, more expensive, old guy off of the roster and give a chance to 3 or 4 of the cheaper in-house options. If White were clearly a better option than all of these guys, I might not care so much that he is taking time from others.

Turn Off Ads?