Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite

Watched this film last night. By the end of the movie, I was fascinated at what a brilliant piece of filmmaking it was. The filmmakers (an MTV film by the way) have proven that you can still make an entertaining movie without using obscene language, violence and sex. I know some people are put off by this movie because of it's popularity, but it is an amazing remarkable film with a good message behind it, which is simply to be yourself. I hope in the future this movie is regarded as a classic. If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Napoleon Dynamite

my two pennies...

I HATED IT! Two words: Bo and Ring.

I do, however appreciate the fact that it was violence and profanity-free. I watched it with my kids (10 and 7) and they hated it too. I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did.

When you talk to people about it, you'll find that they're either like savafan or me--they either love it or hate it. There's really no in-between.

To each his own.

I liked it. Everyone said I'd hate it, or it would take a second viewing to appreciate it, but I guess it's just my type of humor. My Dad loved it as well.

I loved it - and I think it gets better the more times you watch it.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Count me among the "Love It" crowd.

Subtle comedy is becoming a lost art. The film relied almost entirely on interpersonal dialogue and performances for it's humor, and I think it paid off in spades.

I'll take this kind of film over a plot-heavy quagmire like "Rush Hour" any day.

And it WILL be recognized as a classic simply because of the quotability of the lines.

"It's awesome. It's...incredible!"
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I liked it. I thought the opening credits were very creative. I thought Uncle Rico and Kip were hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I surprised myself by liking it. My wife picked it up for <$5 the other day, so now it's part of our library. I doubt we'd have bought it for "regul;ar" price, but it was good enough to sacrifice 1 pint of Bass at our new favorite (prices not considered) restaurant.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I resisted seeing it for a while because all the hype and because I have not liked many of the MTV movies. But I watched it one HBO one day and I really enjoyed it.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

This is one of those movies that if you haven't watched it at least 3 times ... you haven't really "seen" the movie yet.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    This is one of those movies that if you haven't watched it at least 3 times ... you haven't really "seen" the movie yet.

GL
    Unfortuneatly, I disliked the first time so much, I'm never going to get there. 2hrs. already down the drain...can't see makin' it 6.

Be sure to watch after the credits -- there is a wedding scene that is probably the funniest thing in the movie.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Be sure to watch after the credits -- there is a wedding scene that is probably the funniest thing in the movie.
    Yea, the wedding scene is very good. Similarly, I like the end scene in the 40 year old virgin. Different movies, but similar in the way that I didn't think I would like either, but loved both.

Great movie. It is indeed one of those where you need to watch it mulitple times for it to reach its full hilarity level.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Not since Beavis and Butthead Do America have I laughed so hard sitting in a movie theatre. That's all I really care about. There are a lot of lines that I will be quoting and laughing at for years to come.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Be sure to watch after the credits --
    Well, maybe I will! Gosh!
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?