Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wren interested in being GM

Wren interested in being GM

"The next contestant in the GM sweepstakes: Frank Wren, assistant GM of the Braves. I know he's got some local ties, so it makes sense that he would be interested.

Wren was assistant GM of the Marlins from 1991-98 and GM of the Orioles in 1999. He moved to Atlanta after that season and took over as John Schuerholz's top lieutenant." - as per Marc's Blog

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wren interested in being GM

If Wren gets into the mix, IMO he immediately becomes the leading candidate.

Whether he should be is another matter (though I have no problem with what I know of him), but he's certainly got a sweet pedigree.
    Last edited by M2; 02-01-2006 at 05:50 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I hope Peter Angelos didn't brainwash him.

I think this gets Beattie a job. (with Wren)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I agree I would also consider him my favorite for the job, based on the organizations he has been affiliated and moreso WHEN he was with those organizations.

In order my faves.

1.) Frank Wren
    2.) Dan Jennings (I am assuming he is getting a secret interview)
    3.) Wayne Krivsky
    4.) Mike Arbuckle
    5.) Johnny Almaraz

Not necc. a fav. but could live with it
    6.) Mozeliak
    7.) Brad Kullman
    8.) Beattie

Not sure he's ready
    9.) Leland Maddox

Wish they would interview
    10.) Depodesta (just to see if would even accept the interview)
    11.) Somebody in the A's or Cubs FO! Who has turned out more and better arms than them recently?
    12.) Marvin Lewis..............hey don't laugh if he can turn around that franchise, just think of what he could do with this kind of offense. :felo:, :dunn:, :griffey:
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

There's your next GM of the Cincinnati Reds right there.

I can almost taste it.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If Wren gets into the mix, IMO he immediately becomes the leading candidate.

Whether he should be is another matter (though I have no problem with what I know of him), but he's certainly got a sweet pedigree.

Yep.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

It's on MLB.com now...

Wren latest to interview for GM job
    Braves VP/asst. GM eighth candidate to meet with Castellini
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Frank Wren was born in Hamilton, Ohio and grew up rooting for The Big Red Machine. (Roberto Borea/AP)
    MLB Headlines

• Celebration of Black History Month begins
    • Teams seek strength up the middle
    • Delgado excited to take on Cuba
    • Hudson announces decision to skip WBC
    • Gonzalez close to joining Red Sox
    • Nationals add Rodriguez to bullpen
    • Puerto Rico can't wait to play WBC
    • Early throwing session is McDowell's debut
    • More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
    CINCINNATI -- The Reds' pool of general manager candidates has expanded by one more.
    Braves vice president/assistant GM Frank Wren will be the eighth person to interview with owner/chief executive officer Bob Castellini, the club announced Wednesday.

Wren has been Atlanta GM John Schuerholz's right-hand man for the past six years and was Orioles GM in 1999. He was Marlins assistant GM under Dave Dombrowski from 1991-98 and helped build Florida from an expansion franchise to 1997 World Series champions.

The 47-year-old Wren was born in Hamilton, Ohio and also spent time growing up in Kentucky and Indiana.

"I think it's always exciting and interesting to have a chance to interview for a team you grew up watching," Wren said by phone from Atlanta. "The Big Red Machine was my first vivid memory of baseball. I was living and dying with championship games."

After a Minor League playing career in the Montreal system ended in 1984, Wren began his climb up the executive ranks as a Minor League GM in the same organization in 1985. He was credited with building the Expos' farm system and established their Latin American academy.

"It was invaluable," Wren said of his career experiences. "You figure out the things you did right and the things you did wrong."

The Reds did not reveal a date and time for the interview but have begun meeting with candidates this week. There are now four candidates from inside the organization and four more from outside competing to replace Dan O'Brien, who was dismissed Jan. 20 after two seasons on the job.

From within, Castellini will choose among baseball operations director and interim GM Brad Kullman, director of international scouting Johnny Almaraz, special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox and special advisor Jim Beattie. Besides Wren from the outside, there is Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak, Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky and Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

print this page | e-mail this page

Jump to MLB Sites MLB.com Angels Astros Athletics Blue Jays Braves Brewers Cardinals Cubs Devil Rays Diamondbacks Dodgers Giants Indians Mariners Marlins Mets Nationals Orioles Padres Phillies Pirates Rangers Red Sox Reds Rockies Royals Tigers Twins White Sox Yankees

And here's something from an Oriole's fansite around the time Wren was fired by Peter Angelos.

Frankly, we don't give a damn
    On October 6, 1999, Ray Miller was fired. That was expected and eagerly awaited by most fans, including (especially) us. The same day, Frank Wren was fired. That was not expected. Like everyone else, we at The Warehouse were shocked and outraged to hear about Wren losing his job.

But upon further reflection, what's the big deal? Frank Wren being fired... surprising, yes. But outrageous? In fact, people really shouldn't be upset at all. Sure, it's just another sign of instability in the organization, another sign that Peter Angelos is a power-mad dictator, yada yada yada. And yes, Wren did seem to be fired for the "wrong reasons." Apparently it had less to do with his performance and more to do with his attitude. (Then again, who among us is immune from being fired for that? Why should Wren's attitude be excused?)

But lost in all the hullaballoo over that fact is a bigger question -- what about his performance? How good a job did Frank Wren do, really? In other words, let's not worry about the front office shenanigans, and let's talk about what Frank Wren deserved.

The starting point must always be the bottom line: the record. Wren took over a team that had gone 79-83. He made some major changes... and they finished 78-84. That alone is a serious indictment; it's one thing to defend a guy whose team didn't improve because he didn't do very much -- after all, you might argue he's just getting his feet wet and will be more active in the future. But when a guy makes wholesale changes to the roster, including 4 new members of the starting lineup, and the team doesn't get any better, you have to wonder whether he knew what he was doing, or whether he was just trying to look busy.

But that's superficial; let's review what Wren actually did. In the offseason he brought in Will Clark, Delino DeShields, Doug Linton, Jason Johnson, Albert Belle, Ricky Bones, Heathcliff Slocumb, Charles Johnson, Mike Timlin, Mike Fetters, Xavier Hernandez, Rich Amaral, and Jeff Conine. He also brought back BJ Surhoff, who was a free agent. Wow. That's even more roster moves than we had first thought. (A complete review of his transactions can be found in our archives.)

Departing for one reason or another were, among others, Roberto Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Armando Benitez, Danny Clyburn, Chris Fussell, Alan Mills, Chris Hoiles, Eric Davis, Rich Becker, and Willie Greene.

Were those good moves? We could sit there and analyze them one-by-one, but this column would go on for days, and we would basically be rehashing what we said a year ago. (Which was, for you new readers, something along the lines of "ARGH!") In hindsight, they didn't work, of course.

The primary defense for Wren is that these weren't his choices, that Peter Angelos meddles. Angelos is the one who let Palmeiro and Alomar get away. Angelos is the one that negotiates big contracts like Albert Belle's. Etc. Assuming that's true, is that really an argument in Wren's favor? "It's not that he was stupid; it's that he was irrelevant," is what that argument boils down to. Pardon us for being less than impressed by that line of reasoning. In any case, this defense generally arises when critics say "The Orioles should have rebuilt with youth, and Wren didn't do it." People argue that Angelos forced him to build a contending team instead of giving shots to youngsters like Cal Pickering and Jerry Hairston. But Wren didn't build a contending team. He built a bad team! That surely wasn't what Angelos intended.

Moreover, while we're willing to accept that Angelos was involved in the big decisions like Clark or Belle, we somehow doubt he had a whole lot to do with the lesser decisions, the Amarals and Slocumbs, the Hernandezes and Fetterseses, the Conines and Bones. (He does have ambulances to chase, after all.) And it was those decisions where Wren's mistakes really shone through. Angelos was reportedly upset at Wren for signing Xavier Hernandez before having him pass a physical; we're upset at Wren for signing Xavier Hernandez at all. Nobody in his right mind should have thought that a bullpen of Timlin and Bones and Slocumb and Hernandez and Fetters (as well as holdovers Orosco and Rhodes) was a championship caliber bullpen. Nobody should have thought that Rich Amaral was going to help a contending team. And Jeff Conine? Come on. What was the point?

So what happened during the season, a season in which it quickly became apparent that the Orioles weren't going anywhere? The Orioles traded Harold Baines and Juan Guzman for pitching prospects. They also... well, okay, they didn't do anything else. They did release Slocumb and Bones and Webster. They did dump 25-year old Rocky Coppinger for 28-year old less promising Al Reyes merely because Ray Miller couldn't get along with him. Willis Otanez, out the door, but they did pick up 37 year old Jim Corsi. They added Mike Figga and Derrick May. It's hard to argue with the Guzman/Baines trades. But Figga? Corsi? 33-year old Doug Linton, added to the roster? These just don't sound like bad moves. They sound like flailing moves. Like Wren needed to pretend he was doing something.

Again, let's look at the bottom line: the Orioles organization made the decision to compete rather than rebuild in 1999. For better or worse, Wren went along with that. He then went out and made the team, if anything, worse. Older, too. When Angelos let him try rebuilding in midseason, he made some timid moves. The Orioles ended the season as badly as they began it, and with a future that looked little brighter. This is the work of a budding genius? You know, a year ago, the Orioles passed over hotshot young GM candidate Kevin Malone, replacing him with Frank Wren. The media mocked Peter Angelos for letting such a brilliant up-and-coming baseball person walk. Now a year later, with Malone having gotten his shot -- but in Los Angeles rather than Baltimore -- it's Malone who's a laughingstock. Frank Wren is Frank Wren, not Kevin Malone, but let's not be so quick to assume that hype is the same as good GMing.

Please don't interpret this column as a defense of The Peter and his autocratic style or his meddling. We just want to provide a counterpoint to the "Woe is us" articles that appeared so many places, and to note that Angelos may have indeed done the right thing, even if for the wrong reasons.

Comments? Are we crazy? Did we say something ridiculous? Did we forget an important fact? Or did we hit the nail on the head? We want to know what you think. And if you can do better, show us! Good submissions are always welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2000 The Orioles Warehouse
    Y2K compliant.
    Last Updated: January 2, 2000

Wren was also the GM that did the Guzman deal with Bowden

With the benefit of six extra years of hindsight, every GM who's worked for that organization has been irrelevant.

IMO, Wren made plenty of bad calls, but sometimes you're put in an unworkable situation. My Orioles-based question for Wren is, knowing what you know now, what should you have done in Baltimore?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

, knowing what you know now, what should you have done in Baltimore?
    Slipped Angelos a Mickey.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My Orioles-based question for Wren is, knowing what you know now, what should you have done in Baltimore?
    If his answer is "I shouldn't have taken it," score.
    Not all who wander are lost

I would love to have a guy like Wren as the GM, everywhere he has been those teams have been successful. Krivsky would be my second choice.

I like Wren. I am not certain that HE was actually behind all those moves in Baltimore...Angelos is pretty involved and thought Wren's name was on the dotted line I am a bit suspicious
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I think Wren is a "second" man, he works as a company clerk for a elite GM like Gillick or Sherholtz's but his imput is limited. But when he takes over the controls, doesn't have that same ability.

Krivsky sounds like somebody who has had signifigent imput on the Twins rebuilding in the late 90's and early 20's. Something about him speaks like he may be able to do the job.

Turn Off Ads?