Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment

Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
    Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment; named Mile LaCoss roving minor league pitching instructor.
    This makes room for Rick white on the 40 man roster. Hopefully Bubba Nelson clears waivers and we can send him to AAA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment

Mike LaCoss?

Wow.

They're coming out of the woodwork nowadays.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Mike freaking LaCoss??

Why not bring back Keefe Cato.......... or Arturo DeFrietas too.

:thumbdown Bad, bad move. Nelson rebounded nicely last season, posting strong K/IP numbers after a full time switch to the bullpen. He is still young, and did well in a new role, yet Brad Kullman decided to replace him on the 40 man with Rick White. This will not get criticized as it should because Bubba Nelson is an easy target with his 2004 stats and the fact that he was acquired in a trade for a very overrated Chris Reitsma, but it's a bad trade and reinforces my belief that Brad Kullman couldn't GM a winning team in my fantasy baseball league, let alone the Reds.

His Dad predicted it in another thread.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    His Dad predicted it in another thread.
    Not sure if it was so much a prediction, as I think Bubba may have already been told this was coming.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Most likely Nelson will clear waivers like Hancock did.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I still would have made it Mike Burns or Jung Bong. Nelson was an AA All-Star and is not older than prospect age. He's got a far better chance of getting claimed than Burns or Bong.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I would bet 50/50 that someone takes a flier on Bubba and see what he has out of spring training. His ceiling is still much higher than the two Doc mentioned.

Hopefully no one does, I still think he could be a serviceable major leaguer.

"Soup to nuts." It looks like Bubba was the first cashew.

I wonder if this is a Beattie move or a Kullman move? Maybe it's a Beattie/Kullman move.
    Last edited by Jpup; 02-02-2006 at 03:58 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bubba was wildly inconsistant. He was either great are sucky. One time you would watch him throw, you wonder why the guy wasn't with the Reds. The next time, you wonder why he bothered to be a pitcher.

Though, maturity can come late to BP types, hopefully he stays.

I would like to see him go

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I still would have made it Mike Burns or Jung Bong. Nelson was an AA All-Star and is not older than prospect age. He's got a far better chance of getting claimed than Burns or Bong.
    Bong stays because he's a lefty

I still see about 10 names on the 40 I think we could lose without anything bad happening
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by EX BRAVEDAD
    I would like to see him go
    Hoping for better coaching? Or just thinking a change of venue will do him some good?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    :thumbdown Bad, bad move. Nelson rebounded nicely last season, posting strong K/IP numbers after a full time switch to the bullpen. He is still young, and did well in a new role, yet Brad Kullman decided to replace him on the 40 man with Rick White. This will not get criticized as it should because Bubba Nelson is an easy target with his 2004 stats and the fact that he was acquired in a trade for a very overrated Chris Reitsma, but it's a bad trade and reinforces my belief that Brad Kullman couldn't GM a winning team in my fantasy baseball league, let alone the Reds.
    I agree.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?