Thread: Bubba Nelson DFA, LaCoss signed as instructor

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Mile Across?

Know nothing of him.

"How wide is the river momma...mile across and widening..."-Johnny Cash
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    i hope he clears waivers 2 we shall see how mr.white performs and how long he stays
    Too long.
    Go Gators!

I'm sure Bill Scherer's floating around someplace.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Re: Bubba Nelson DFA, LaCoss signed as instructor

Don't forget about Doug Bair and other classics such as Brad Lesley and Tim Layana. In Nintendo RBI, you could bring in Layana for one inning if you needed a fresh arm to relieve Tom Browning before handing it over to one of the Nasty Boys. Mariano Duncan is a stud for the 1990 Reds in that game...

By the way, don't hate on Frank Pastore! He was my favorite player when I was growing up (partially because 35 was my lucky number.) At a "meet the Reds" banquet in Tampa one spring training, I sat at his table and he called my dad who stayed behind in Cincinnati from a hotel phone (no cell phones then) to demand a raise in my allowance. Good egg, that Frank.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    This also just in........ any and all underachieving Reds pitchers from the late 70's through early 80's are invited to teach this pitching staff and all minor leaugers how to pitch.

Paul Moskau....Frank Pastore.... ... Bruce Walk a Man an Inning Bereyini (sic)
    Underachievers or overrated? Plus, a pitcher's physical abilities to pitch have little to nothing to do with being a good pitching coach, so maybe LaCoss can actually coach.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I agree Traderumor....about a status of a player not being a bearing on his ability to coach. It just seems like they have a call out to all old Reds hurlers.
    I thought my sarcasm was telling.

I liked Frank too....... but he just really disappointed after 1980.

I do not think Paul or Frank would have fared too well in GAB.
    Frank would have let it get to his head and Paul always seemed to give up a HR on every start. I recall a lot of his starts against LA as tee time for DSodger hitters.

Paul always seemed to give up a HR on every start.
    In 78 the Reds had 2 guys with under 620 batters faced and more than 15 HR's allowed.

Not good, not good at all

Code:
    HOMERUNS                        HR       BFP    
    1    Jim Colborn                  25      630   
    2    Glenn Abbott                 22      689   
    3    Jerry Garvin                 20      656   
    T4   Paul Moskau                  17      613 
    T4   Dave Roberts                 17      627   
    T6   Jim Lonborg                  16      505   
    T6   Mickey Mahler                16      597   
    T6   Balor Moore                  16      635   
    T6   Catfish Hunter               16      477   
    T6   Manny Sarmiento              16      538   
    T6   Dave Lemanczyk               16      620   
    T6   Wayne Twitchell              16      510   
    T6   Dick Pole                    16      451

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This
    Don't forget about Doug Bair and other classics such as Brad Lesley and Tim Layana.
    Unless you want to bring Layana to camp as a zombie instructor, I don't think that's going to happen.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Glad you brought that stat out WOY......... living in LA, i saw plenty of those Reds-Dodgers games starting in 1974....... Moskau was always good at giving up runs in bunches. Lopes seemed to hit him very well.

That 1978 bullpen of Borbon..Tomlin...Sarmiento.... as set up/long men (although those terms were not used) were overused and sometimes beyond terrible. I mean 2004-05 bullpen terrible. Ricky Stone bad.

Only one Buffy mention in this thread. I'm shocked.

Pay attention to the open sky

Glad you brought that stat out WOY......... living in LA, i saw plenty of those Reds-Dodgers games starting in 1974....... Moskau was always good at giving up runs in bunches. Lopes seemed to hit him very well.

That 1978 bullpen of Borbon..Tomlin...Sarmiento.... as set up/long men (although those terms were not used) were overused and sometimes beyond terrible. I mean 2004-05 bullpen terrible. Ricky Stone bad.
    I would almost wonder if '77's was worse. Joe Hoerner all 40 years old and Paul Moskau got called up.

At least in '78 they had a good start. Even won 92 games.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

It was bad...........but the SP was actually worse, while the bullpen was not as bad. Bottom line is .... they were in the bottom 3-4 of ERA pool both years, and the offense could not substain the 75-76 to help the team.

You always figured it was an abberation while you were sitting there watching it. Never realizing it was really the end.

You always figured it was an abberation while you were sitting there watching it. Never realizing it was really the end.
    It was like watching your pet die, totally expected some day yet surprises and saddens the hell out of you.

I think we expected the system to keep bringing up players to replace the old ones. At least 1 guy? Steve Henderson was to be that guy, but he was traded for a better commodity. He never showed much though after 1980.

They had nothing though until the middle 80's.

I guess this has been covered before in the Reds dynasty book.
    How they overlooked Mike Schimdt and Bell due to their lack of speed.

I think we expected the system to keep bringing up players to replace the old ones. At least 1 guy? Steve Henderson was to be that guy, but he was traded for a better commodity. He never showed much though after 1980.

They had nothing though until the middle 80's.

I guess this has been covered before in the Reds dynasty book.
    How they overlooked Mike Schimdt and Bell due to their lack of speed.
    For a 3B, Schmidt had some decent wheels. His season high for SB was 29, he topped 10 SB eight times and stole 174 for his career. If that's what scared the Reds away, then somebody deserves a spanking. My guess is they weren't high on picking from the college ranks.

To be fair to the system, it did produce Driessen, Knight and Oester to replace some of the big cogs from the BRM. Unfortunately there were no new Morgans, Fosters and Geronimos coming in via trade.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?