Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA's Early 2006 Draft Preview - Has Reds picking....

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

BA's Early 2006 Draft Preview - Has Reds picking....

....a HS LHP

The Reds have the 8th pick in the 2006 draft

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...irstround.html

I know pitching is what the Reds need most, but if Matt LaPorta repeats his 2005 season and the Reds let him slide by, it's going to look mighty dumb in a few years, IMO.

If Ian Kennedy slides and is available, the Reds need to make sure that kid goes nowhere else but Cincinnati

1. Andrew Miller, lhp, U. of North Carolina
    Six-foot-7 lefty was draftís highest unsigned pick from 2003, primed to become highest pick this year.

2. Drew Stubbs, of, U. of Texas
    Best athlete in the draft has obvious physical tools, but must learn to curb high strikeout totals.

3. Max Scherzer, rhp, U. of Missouri
    Devil Rays own this pick and Scherzer would be made to order for a team in need of a power college arm.

4. Jordan Walden, rhp, Mansfield (Texas) HS
    When Walden was clocked at 99 mph last summer, he moved to the head of the í06 high school class.

5. Daniel Bard, rhp, U. of North Carolina
    Reasserted himself last summer by leading Cape Cod in strikeouts, after inconsistent sophomore year.

6. Chris Marrero, 3b, Monsignor Pace HS, Miami
    Best high school position prospect can swing bat for average and power, and is a solid defender.

7. Ian Kennedy, rhp, U. of Southern California
    The Dodgers need some good local PR and drafting a proven hometown talent might be a prudent move.

8. Brett Anderson, lhp, Stillwater (Okla.) HS
    The draftís most polished prep arm has been schooled by his dad, Oklahoma State coach Frank Anderson.

9. Kyle Drabek, rhp, The Woodlands (Texas) HS
    The son of ex-big leaguer Doug Drabek has a 96 mph fastball and his fatherís trademark hammer curve.

10. Evan Longoria, 3b/ss, Long Beach State U.
    A late bloomer, he came of age last summer in Cape Cod League, leading circuit in home runs and RBIs.

11. Matt LaPorta, 1b/3b, U. of Florida
    Led NCAA Division I hitters with 26 home runs a year ago and is the draftís premier college power hitter.

12. Matt Latos, rhp, Coconut Creek HS, Margate, Fla.
    Teams looking for a signable high school arm with plenty of upside will bear down on the 6-foot-5 Latos.

13. Wes Hodges, 3b, Georgia Tech
    Steady across the board with developing power potential, Hodges should move quickly in pro ranks.

14. Brandon Morrow, rhp, U. of California
    Morrow can match any college pitcher in physical ability, but teams will be wary of his 0-1, 9.36 í05 record.

15. Dallas Buck, rhp, Oregon State U.
    With three first-rounders, Nationals will target pitching with Oregon State ace sure to be in their mix.

16. Chris Tillman, rhp, Fountain Valley (Calif.) HS
    Loose and projectable at 6-foot-5 and 190 pounds, Tillman enters 2006 as Californiaís best prep talent.

17. Kyle McCulloch, rhp, U. of Texas
    Smooth, polished college pitcher with three averages pitches has gone 19-4 in two years at Texas.

18. Joba Chamberlain, rhp, U. of Nebraska
    A Division II transfer, he was the most obscure player a year ago of all this yearís potential first-rounders.

19. Dellin Betances, rhp, Grand Street HS, New York
    The skyís the limit for the 6-foot-9, 215-pound Betances, whose fastball has been clocked at 96 mph.

20. Jeremy Jeffress, rhp, Halifax County HS, South Boston, Va.
    With a lightning-quick arm and 98 mph fastball, Jeffress reminds scouts of a young Dwight Gooden.

21. Cody Johnson, of/1b, Mosley HS, Panama City, Fla.
    Yankees pick in this spot and Johnsonís lefthanded power would be an intriguing fit in Yankee Stadium.

22. Brad Lincoln, rhp, U. of Houston
    His size (6-0, 195) may be an issue, but his 90-95 mph boring fastball and 82-84 power curve arenít.

23. Mark Melancon, rhp, U. of Arizona
    Versatile righthander was used in relief his first two years at Arizona and moves to rotation this year.

24. Hank Conger, c, Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS
    Braves have big interest in Congerís huge lefthanded power, though his defensive skills need work.

25. Jared Hughes, rhp, Long Beach State U.
    Hughes hopes to join most recent two Dirtbag aces, Jered Weaver and Cesar Ramos, in first round.

26. Greg Reynolds, rhp, Stanford U.
    His ordinary 6-4, 5.76 record in two years at Stanford masks interest in his size, stuff and upside.

27. Chris Parmelee, 1b/of, Chino Hills (Calif.) HS
    The nationís premier prep hitting prospect could climb this list if a team places a premium on his bat.

28. Jason Donald, ss, U. of Arizona
    Might be the best middle infielder in the draft, but heís shown only marginal improvement in two years.

29. Blair Erickson, rhp, UC Irvine
    Nationís premier closer used 96 mph fastball to earn 27 saves, post 103 Kís in 72 innings in í04-05.

30. Kasey Kiker, lhp, Russell County HS, Seale, Ala.
    The ace pitcher on the nationís top high school team has a 94 mph fastball, best among prep lefties.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA's Early 2006 Draft Preview - Has Reds picking....

College pitcher. please.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

10. Eva Longoria, 3b/ss, Long Beach State U.
    A late bloomer, she came of age last summer in Cape Cod League, leading circuit in home runs and RBIs.

I WANT HER!

Last edited by BoydsOfSummer; 02-02-2006 at 03:54 AM.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

No more high school arms
    Go Gators!

what round will the Reds draft Loo in this year?

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    I WANT HER!

Amen. Take Eva (and, I guess, her brother, too)
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Whatever. In a few months there will be much better information for the team -- and for us -- to use in evaluating these kids.

At first glance, the positional talent looks slim, so I'm leaning pitcher. HS or college is not a huge deal to me.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    I WANT HER!

Damn you!! That was going to be my joke - stupid second to the party crap!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

HS or college is not a huge deal to me.
    It is to me, with pitching at a premium price wise it behooves the Reds to stockpile some arms that are closer to the show. Impact arms will be what pushes this team above the mean, but waiting 5 years to see if a guy can make it is not acceptable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    It is to me, with pitching at a premium price wise it behooves the Reds to stockpile some arms that are closer to the show. Impact arms will be what pushes this team above the mean, but waiting 5 years to see if a guy can make it is not acceptable IMO.
    Problem is that at pick number 8 the top college arms are gone. So you can take the second tier college arms or the first tier high school arms.

In fact, BA list has college arm going 7 and then next college arm is at 14. So should Reds overdraft someone by 6 or 7 slots because he is older?
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-02-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Problem is that at pick number 8 the top college arms are gone. So you can take the second tier college arms or the first tier high school arms.
    Then best position player, a HS pick is just a Bond buy at this time, this team needs a quick sure thing, talent can be turned into more talent, but waiting for the the perfect player for five years is just another five years of reverse marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Then best position player, a HS pick is just a Bond buy at this time, this team needs a quick sure thing, talent can be turned into more talent, but waiting for the the perfect player for five years is just another five years of reverse marketing.
    But is there a "quick sure thing" at pick number 8? According to BA there is no college arm after pick 7 worthy of the top ten.

My view is that you can load up on college arms in the draft without picking one in the first round. With number 8 pick, you need to go with the best talent. Even if it is not a pitcher at all.

But is there a "quick sure thing" at pick number 8? According to BA there is no college arm after pick 7 worthy of the top ten.

My view is that you can load up on college arms in the draft without picking one in the first round. With number 8 pick, you need to go with the best talent. Even if it is not a pitcher at all.
    That will change in the coming months. If Dallas Buck has another big season you can expect him to join the top 10. I also expect the draft will work out so that one of Miller, Bard, Kennedy or Scherzer drops to the #8.

For instance, I don't for a second think the Dodgers would take Kennedy. IMO they'll be hot for Chris Tillman if he has a big season.

I'll echo what WOY said, the Reds deserved a lashing if they draft a HS with that #8 pick. You've got to be aware of where you are and what the draft offers. The Reds need to find an arm who can be an effective starter in the majors by 2009 and the quality of this draft lies in college pitching. There will be a college arm who fits the team's needs available on the #8 pick. The key is to identify him.

Kennedy's my pick as of the moment. I'm with jmc, if Kennedy's there on #8 the Reds don't need to do any thinking, just draft him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I agree with you there. If there's no "sure thing" college arm at #7, you take the best player available, particularly if it's close to a "sure thing" positional player.

I agree with M2 that by the time the draft rolls around, there may be a college arm worth taking at #8, but I don't think it should be written in stone to take the best college arm in the first round.

Historically, the Reds have found a few college pitchers in rounds after #1 (Williamson, Sullivan,.. I forget if Browning was a #1 pick, but he was a college guy).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I agree with you there. If there's no "sure thing" college arm at #7, you take the best player available, particularly if it's close to a "sure thing" positional player.

I agree with M2 that by the time the draft rolls around, there may be a college arm worth taking at #8, but I don't think it should be written in stone to take the best college arm in the first round.
    I agree. If I'm the SD and looking at the #8 pick, I have my crosscheckers looking at the top 5-6 college arms and the top 2-3 high school arms. Then, the consensus top 3-4 bats at each level.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?