Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Trying to Cook Up Controversy for the Super Bowl

Media Trying to Cook Up Controversy for the Super Bowl

With little else to hype this year's Super Bowl, the media is now taking innocuous comments and trying to set up a war of words. Joey Porter is taking the bait, as usual.

My favorite part of the article is the headline, which is both inflammatory and inaccurate (Stevens is a tight end, not a "defender").

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...=afp&type=lgns

Seattle defender's boasts spark Super Bowl war of words

AFP
    February 2, 2006

AFP - Feb 2, 9:39 am EST
    More Photos

DETROIT, United States (AFP) - Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter ignited a Super Bowl firestorm, firing verbal volleys at Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens over boastful words that were taken as a victory declaration.

Four days before their squads meet here for the National Football League crown, Porter took issue with Stevens after the Seahawk said Steeler star rusher Jerome Bettis' homecoming and possible farewell would end in defeat.

"It's a heartwarming story and all that but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," Stevens said. "We feel like we have been the best team in the NFL all year and we are going to show everybody Sunday."

Stevens also made it personal by saying that Porter was impressive in a playoff victory at Denver but would have a tougher time against Seattle blocker Walter Jones.

"He had a huge game in the AFC championship game coming off the edge on the blitz," Stevens said. "I don't think he is going to have such an easy day against Walt, though."

Porter has needed little rousing to start trash talking in the past but had vowed a day earlier not to be goaded into comments that might inspire Seattle players.

Stevens' comments, however, were enough to set Porter's tongue wagging at full speed.

"I've been asleep all week, but now I got woke up. I've got my first taste of blood and now I'm thirsty for more," Porter said. "When they say you are looking for something to get you going, that was it.

"I feel like he definitely was 'out of pocket' to say what he said. I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words.

"He should know his role. He hasn't done anything that makes anybody fear him, while Jerome is a Hall of Famer. He definitely is one who hasn't earned the right to say what's on his mind.

"He said it. It's done now. He will have to face the consequences. Now I'm looking for Stevens. He has to line up in front of me. I'll be out there looking for him. Stevens can't hide from me.

"I'll remind him of it every time I put him on his back."

Stevens continued the exchange upon hearing of Porter's reaction, saying he could not understand what the fuss was about in his self-confident comments.

"I don't feel like I said anything inappropriate. I told the truth," Stevens said. "If he doesn't know who I am, then the surprise will be on him come Sunday. If he's worried more about me than someone else, that's fine with me."

Stevens has caught 54 passes for 649 yards and six touchdowns, four of the scores coming in the past six games.

But Porter dubbed Stevens unworthy of making such comments, calling him a "first-round (draft pick) bust who barely made some plays this season."

"He's too soft to say something like that. He has a lot of nerve," Porter said. "I've got to argue with somebody who is starting, not somebody who is just running on and off the field."

Stevens was not backing down either, escalating the tension factor as teams began their final preparations for the game, the Steelers' first Super Bowl in a decade and the first in the Seahawks' 30-year history.

"I wasn't trying to disrespect Pittsburgh. I respect them a lot and they are a great team," Stevens said. "But we're not here to roll over for anybody. I don't think I said anything too 'out of pocket.'

"I just said we're here to win the game and other than that there is no reason to be here. They are here to win, too. We respect them but don't fear them. We're going to go out there and do what we do."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Media Trying to Cook Up Controversy for the Super Bowl

As usual, Porter was way out of line in his response. Ugh, gotta love the two weeks of ridiculous over analysis and hype. I haven't tuned in to ESPN the last two weeks as a result.

That said I absolutely hate the Steelers, go Seahawks.

The whole thing is stupid. Stevens just believes his team is going to win. Every player should believe they are going to win. Porter is a loud mouth idiot. Anything he says I disregard immediately.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Wait till the Media starts talking about Ben's late nights....ah, to be 23 again....

Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

They'll never do that. They want him to be a hero like Tom Brady who goes to bed at 8, eats his vegetables, and calls his mother every week.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Joey Porter just makes me laugh harder every time he opens his mouth.

Yeah Joey, that's such a disrespectful comment he made about Bettis....

Why don't you check the stats sheet, Joey before you call him a nobody.

OOOOHHHHH....that's right!!! You don't like to think. I forgot. Silly me.

Moron.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Nice to see Ben pickup on the big thing to do at Miami.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Anyone know how many articles have come out complaing about it not being in a warm weather city?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    They'll never do that. They want him to be a hero like Tom Brady who goes to bed at 8, eats his vegetables, and calls his mother every week.
    Of course according to the article in GQ, he goes to bed at 8, but brings his laptop with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

What about this story is the media's fault?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

What about this story is the media's fault?
    The fact that they took an innocuous comment by Stevens, ran over to Joey Porter with it, and now they're seizing on his response and trying to portray it as if it will result in WW III on the field on Sunday.

I seriously doubt Joey Porter read that quote from Stevens in a newspaper or online. I'll bet he first found out about it when some reporter asked him something like, "How do you feel about the boasts Seattle's Jeramy Stevens is making, claiming that it will be sad when Jerome Bettis leaves without the trophy?"

Even the headline is inflammatory. "Seattle defender's (sic) *boasts* spark Super Bowl war of words".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The fact that they took an innocuous comment by Stevens, ran over to Joey Porter with it, and now they're seizing on his response and trying to portray it as if it will result in WW III on the field on Sunday.
    And that is exactly what they are trying to do... spice up the Super Bowl.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    And that is exactly what they are trying to do... spice up the Super Bowl.
    And it's a good thing cause otherwise no one will be watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    And it's a good thing cause otherwise no one will be watching.
    Just because it involves teams that are not "market media darlings" does not mean it won't be a good game. I think it will. I thought the World Series was good. Each game was close and competitive.

There seems to be more emphasis on everything else surrounding the Super Bowl anymore then the game itself. You have an all day pre-game show, then the commercial competition. It's gotten kind of ridiculous IMO.

I'm a 3rd shifter, so that means I start work on Sunday night (10:30). Every year at Honda it's the same thing. They only have two machines scheduled to run in my dept. that night because of all the scheduled vacation days and expected call-ins, due to the Super Bowl.

Me? I'll turn on my TV around 6:30, watch most of the game, and then go to work.

Now when the Browns make it, that'll be a different story.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-04-2006 at 06:06 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Just because it involves teams that are not "market media darlings" does not mean it won't be a good game. I think it will. I thought the World Series was good. Each game was close and competitive.
    Actually what I meant was that the press doesn't need to hype the game since it will have a large audience no matter what.
    There seems to be more emphasis on everything else surrounding the Super Bowl anymore then the game itself. You have an all day pre-game show, then the commercial competition. It's gotten kind of ridiculous IMO.

I'm a 3rd shifter, so that means I start work on Sunday night (10:30). Every year at Honda it's the same thing. They only have two machines scheduled to run in my dept. that night because of all the scheduled vacation days and expected call-ins, due to the Super Bowl.

Me? I'll turn on my TV around 6:30, watch most of the game, and then go to work.
    I hear you. I'll probably be flipping it back and forth between the Super Bowl and something else.

Now when the Browns make it, that'll be a different story.
    It's nice to have a dream.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?