Turn Off Ads?

Thread: News Roundup 2/2

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

News Roundup 2/2

Barry Larkin chimes in on the new ownership.
    http://news.communitypress.com/apps/...337/1074/Local

Good story about the Hutch Award ceremony. Johnny Bench was the key speaker.
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...6_hutch02.html

This was included in an article about team's double play combinations.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"Reds: The Reds are set at shortstop with Felipe Lopez, who hit .291 with 23 home runs and 85 RBIs with a .352 on-base percentage. The 25-year-old earned an invitation to the All-Star Game and collected a Silver Slugger Award while also rankong first among National League shortstops in homers, RBIs and extra-base hits.

Second base is another matter for the Reds.

Tony Womack, Ryan Freel, Rich Aurilia and possibly Ray Olmedo will all be getting frequent opportunities to play second base at Spring Training for Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron.

In what turned out to be his final trade as Reds general manager before being dismissed, Dan O'Brien acquired Womack from the Yankees for two Minor Leaguers in December. Cincinnati assumed much of the 36-year-old's $2 million salary from the final year of a two-year contract. Already having Freel in the fold, the club re-signed Aurilia to a one-year, $1.3 million contract in January.

Womack will be trying to rebuild his resume following a poor 2005 with New York. He batted just .249 with 15 RBIs in 108 games in his one season there and lost his starting job to rookie Cano. Although not an on-base percentage guy with a lifetime .316 mark, his OBP was just .276 last season.

Freel batted .271 with three home runs and 21 RBIs and in 103 games last season. The speedster also stole 36 bases despite missing 39 games because of injuries. Two seasons ago, he played in a career-high 143 games.

Aurilia, who is also an option at third base if young Edwin Encarnacion shows he's not ready for the everyday job, batted .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBIs in 114 games last season. He made 64 starts at second base in 2005. Olmedo played in only 54 games with Cincinnati last season and batted .221. He missed a lot of time recovering from 2004 Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. The 24-year-old had a strong showing playing winter ball in Venezuela, which could help set him to fight for a bench role this spring. "

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: News Roundup 2/2

Interesting piece on Barry, I think he could be on his way back to Cincinnati sooner than later.

Thanks for the rundown Hal
    Go Gators!

From the Larkin article
    "When I signed and came up with the Reds, there was no better place to be in all of baseball," he said. "Cincinnati was a great baseball town ... There was a sense of family and unity from top to bottom. There was pride and direction. It ran throughout the organization. Somewhere along the way, that changed."
    20 years, 14 of Marge, 6 of Lindner.

Lindners indifference was similar to Crosley's in his last few years, subpar teams, stadium issues and enhancements overshadowing the teams play on the field.

Marge kept the Reds like Dorian Gray kept his painting, on the outside teh franchise looked all fine and dandy. Under the sheet in the attic it was a monstrosity of a different sort.

I read on ESPN insider that while Kull and Lopez's agent were talking about Lopez's contract, they also talked about bringing Weaver to the reds. It would only be a one year deal.

I say why not. What is one year going to hurt? If he does good we could keep him or we could trade him for prospects. We need as much pitching help as we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Interesting piece on Barry, I think he could be on his way back to Cincinnati sooner than later.

Amen!!!

JaredRoberts.com

Post Script: I wonder if he would consider a 1 year deal for the league minimum to play second???

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Amen!!!

JaredRoberts.com

Post Script: I wonder if he would consider a 1 year deal for the league minimum to play second???
    Barry has always previously stated that he will always only be a shortstop which is why he didn't come back last year as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Barry has always previously stated that he will always only be a shortstop which is why he didn't come back last year as backup.
    Actually there was mixed reports on that, I believe at first Barry wanted to still come back at SS but eventually said he would accept an utility role but the Reds still turned him down. Rregardless I don't think there any need to bring back Larkin in that regard, Barry had a great run with Cincinnati and its time both he and the orginization move beyond that and call it a career.

Turn Off Ads?