Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kullman on with Lance

Kullman on with Lance

Anybody else just hear Brad Kullman on Lance's show? I was really impressed with a lot of what he had to say. In a nutshell he would like to bring in pitcher's that miss bats as opposed to the dreaded pitch to contact model. He talked up OBP as being one of the most important things he looks for in an offensive player. He spoke in normal language as opposed to the political speak of his predecessor. He is the anti-DanO.

As far as philosophy he said that a melding of the sabremetric philosophy along with the scouting philosophy would probably be the way he would describe himself. I thought overall he came off very well and he may have swayed me a little bit from my Krivsky position. Of course I haven't heard a half hour convo with Krivsky either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kullman on with Lance

He also mentioned Votto as being the most likely minor leaguer to have an impact in 2006 at the ML level, that they can't give up on Ryan Wagner because of his slider as a future closer, and that he'd like to get more power pitchers in the org., and feels the offense, due to the poor pitching, has to be even better and more "efficient" this year if they want to win games.

Kullman should've served as O'Brien's interpreter at least, it was nice to hear someone speak their mind, without the defensive corporate rhetoric O'Brien used constantly.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I appreciate Kullman's forthrightness and enthusiasm, but I don't think he would be any better for PR than Jim Bowden. I just have this feeling that Brad would talk himself into trouble fairly quickly.

I think he and the Reds might be getting ahead of themselves with the Joey Votto bandwagon. Two seasons ago when he was raking at Dayton, the Reds target was '07 (after Casey's contract). Last season he took a step back at high-A and somehow moved up to '06?

I am certainly on the JV bandwagon, but I also saw him play about 50 games in Dayton two years ago, and do not think he will be ML ready, unless he explodes in AA the first few months. I don't look for him until September 1st. I can not wait for the day he makes it in the lineup because I really like the guy as a player, and a solid individual, but I would have to say 'not so fast my friend.'

Did Lance ask him about the EE/Aurilia deal?

Or about the 5th starter spot?

Or how Hudson's health is?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal

As far as I remember they didn't discuss EE/Aurilia or the fifth starter spot. I think Hudson was mentioned in passing as being a guy that could make the team with a good spring, not sure though so don't quote me on that.

Other tidbits:

Lance asked him if he had been interviewed for the permanent spot yet and Kullman said he didn't want to comment on anything relating to the GM hiring process.

Lance asked him about LTC for Dunn and he said they had spoken to the agent a few times but nothing had come to fruition there. Said they really want to avoid going to arbitration with Adam because when they go there the team is going there with the express purpose of winning and sometimes there are hurt feelings that linger from that process when the player hears the club talking about their negatives. Brought up Adam's K's as something the club would present at an arbitration hearing although he did say that in the grand scheme of things he didn't think strikeouts were a big deal.

Said Paul Wilson looked great the other day and should be ready to go this spring.

Very bluntly said that losing contact guys and good situational hitters like Casey and Randa hurts the team.

As Crackerjack mentioned he made the comment that he would go to Chambliss and tell him to find ways to make the offense even more efficient than it was lat year.

Said he would like to be a part of this organization and stay on even if he didn't get the permanent GM position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Very bluntly said that losing contact guys and good situational hitters like Casey and Randa hurts the team.

As Crackerjack mentioned he made the comment that he would go to Chambliss and tell him to find ways to make the offense even more efficient than it was lat year.

More efficient. Best offense in the league.

Doesn't sound too saberific to me.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by membengal

None of that unfortunately. Said Wilson looked "great" when he saw him today (for whatever that's worth in a rehab clinic) but didn't really go into any of the above honestly.

Mentioned Browning is working with Milton some, as he thought Browning had a 4-seamer that was successful in Riverfront, which also gave up it's share of HR balls, and that maybe Browning could help out Milton in that area since Browning was also a "successful fly ball pitcher here."

Funny comment about how his interview with Marge was a 4 hour conversation, he just chuckled about it and didn't say much more. Needless to say he must've really wanted a job. He started out in PR and eventually moved into the baseball side of things, for those unaware.

He of course had nothing to say about the other GM candidates or his own interview or the process, when asked.

At times he seemed like a guy either pleading to keep his job, or using it as a chance to boost his candidacy ("well we made changes two years ago as well, and we're still struggling, so I hope they keep that in mind, in regards to some of the people here" etc..,). And he also trumped up some of his moves aside from the Claussen and Harang deals, but didn't mention them specifically - but intimated quite clearly that it was all about cutting the budget the last 4+ years.

I wonder if Kullman wouldn't be best served to work under an experienced GM here from another successful org before moving into a GM role. He's seen how Bowden and O'Brien do things - that's it - and that can't be too good all things considered. All he knows is how the Reds have done things ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62

Yeah I didn't agree with every little thing he said but I thought overall he came off very well. I think the efficient offense thing was said more in the context of not being satisfied with where it is at and trying to wring out every last base and run that they could as a way to maybe counter the lack of pitching that this team will have to deal with.

Yeah I didn't agree with every little thing he said but I thought overall he came off very well. I think the efficient offense thing was said more in the context of not being satisfied with where it is at and trying to wring out every last base and run that they could as a way to maybe counter the lack of pitching that this team will have to deal with.

When I hear a guy say "more efficient" regarding the Reds offense, I hear "put the ball on the ground to the right side", "move the runners along", "do the little things".

That's all well and good, with different personnel and with a different skill set than we had last year.

You have to chose your offensive philosophy. We're not set up for small ball, unless Aurilia and Womak get a lot of playing time.

Look at your personnel and play to their strengths.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Casey and Randa put the ball on the ground a lot, didn't seem to help
    Brought up Adam's K's as something the club would present at an arbitration hearing although he did say that in the grand scheme of things he didn't think strikeouts were a big deal.

Thanks for the rundown all
    Go Gators!

When I hear a guy say "more efficient" regarding the Reds offense, I hear "put the ball on the ground to the right side", "move the runners along", "do the little things".

That's all well and good, with different personnel and with a different skill set than we had last year.

You have to chose your offensive philosophy. We're not set up for small ball, unless Aurilia and Womak get a lot of playing time.

Look at your personnel and play to their strengths.
    When I hear a guy say "more efficient" regarding the Reds' offense, I hear a guy who's come to terms with the horrible reality that is the Reds' pitching staff. Just because we were tops last year doesn't mean there isn't room (or need) for improvement.

As for the Casey and Randa stuff...I got nothing.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    He also mentioned Votto as being the most likely minor leaguer to have an impact in 2006 at the ML level, that they can't give up on Ryan Wagner because of his slider as a future closer, and that he'd like to get more power pitchers in the org., and feels the offense, due to the poor pitching, has to be even better and more "efficient" this year if they want to win games.

Kullman should've served as O'Brien's interpreter at least, it was nice to hear someone speak their mind, without the defensive corporate rhetoric O'Brien used constantly.
    Wait a minute. did he say earlier that Homer was the minor leaguer most likely to have an impact this year?

Sure he's not Hubert Humphrey raised from the dead?

When asked if he was wishy-washy, Humphrey replied, "Maybe I am and maybe I'm not."
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Me either. That piece isn't broken... fix what needs to be fixed and leave the successful piece alone.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I wonder if Kullman wouldn't be best served to work under an experienced GM here from another successful org before moving into a GM role. He's seen how Bowden and O'Brien do things - that's it - and that can't be too good all things considered. All he knows is how the Reds have done things ultimately.
    That can't be all bad; he now knows what NOT to do. :
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?