Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kullman on with Lance

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: Kullman on with Lance

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    You have to chose your offensive philosophy. We're not set up for small ball, unless Aurilia and Womak get a lot of playing time.

Look at your personnel and play to their strengths.
    I agree. However, don't you think the goal should be to have an offense that can play in a low scoring game just as well as it can play in a high scoring game? That's how you get to the playoffs...obviously not something this team will accomplish, but a goal nonetheless.

He's right. Losing two out of your limited supply of contact & situational hitters could really hurt this team. If enough of the returning guys improve their all around offensive skills, losing those guys won't hurt at all. If Lopez hits as well as he did last year; if Griffey stays healthy; if Kearns returns to form; if Dunn makes another leap; if Freel remains a great lead-off option; if LaRue stays out of prolonged slumps; if Encarnacion & Wily Mo can adjust to right-handed pitchers...

The Reds' offense is clearly not the problem. They can score with anybody. But if they want to win 80-85 games with this pitching staff, they're going to have to improve their situational hitting to go with their well above average mashing ability.

I know, it's silly to pick nits on the offense when the big offseason pitching solutions are Dave Williams, Rick White & Chris Hammond. Woe is us...
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Anybody else just hear Brad Kullman on Lance's show? I was really impressed with a lot of what he had to say. In a nutshell he would like to bring in pitcher's that miss bats as opposed to the dreaded pitch to contact model. He talked up OBP as being one of the most important things he looks for in an offensive player. He spoke in normal language as opposed to the political speak of his predecessor. He is the anti-DanO.

As far as philosophy he said that a melding of the sabremetric philosophy along with the scouting philosophy would probably be the way he would describe himself. I thought overall he came off very well and he may have swayed me a little bit from my Krivsky position. Of course I haven't heard a half hour convo with Krivsky either.
    OBP is great as long as you can have someone knock him in or advance him to the next base or if the player can steal a base, but unless this happens then it is meaningless to me. Sorry, just the way I feel.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I wonder if Kullman wouldn't be best served to work under an experienced GM here from another successful org before moving into a GM role. He's seen how Bowden and O'Brien do things - that's it - and that can't be too good all things considered.
    Then again, this could have been a good thing. Maybe by watching those two guys in front of him, he learned what NOT to do.

I don't care what nameplate is on the GM's desk, as long as the Reds turn things around.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    I know, it's silly to pick nits on the offense when the big offseason pitching solutions are Dave Williams, Rick White & Chris Hammond. Woe is us...
    Maybe they feel bad for the pitchers and don't want all the blame on them, even thought they deserve it all.
    Go Gators!

I noticed Lance was reading this thread yesterday. I was thinking I might logon today and see some insight from him.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    The Reds' offense is clearly not the problem. They can score with anybody. But if they want to win 80-85 games with this pitching staff, they're going to have to improve their situational hitting to go with their well above average mashing ability.
    The 2005 Reds were the best situational hitting team in the National League.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by cReds1
    OBP is great as long as you can have someone knock him in or advance him to the next base or if the player can steal a base, but unless this happens then it is meaningless to me. Sorry, just the way I feel.
    OBP gets runners on, advances runners, and drives them in.

Get more OBP, get more Runs. It's pretty near that simple.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    OBP gets runners on, advances runners, and drives them in.

Get more OBP, get more Runs. It's pretty near that simple.
    In other words, making lots of situations to engage in aforementioned situational hitting.

It would seem if a team wants to practice situational hitting, they have to create situations in the first place, and if they create lots of situations, they would not necessarily even have to be great at hitting in those situations to score ample runs.

But, if a team is good at getting on base, chances are that they'll be good at it regardless of the situation...regardless of whether our memories tell us that so and so strikes out too much with men on base. What was Dierker's book called? "This Isn't Rocket Science?"
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I noticed Lance was reading this thread yesterday. I was thinking I might logon today and see some insight from him.
    He was on with the Angry Guys this morning and it seems he's got a case of man-love for Kullman. Probably not to the degree George Grande has for Jim Edmonds but he's crushing for him big time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    In other words, making lots of situations to engage in aforementioned situational hitting.

It would seem if a team wants to practice situational hitting, they have to create situations in the first place, and if they create lots of situations, they would not necessarily even have to be great at hitting in those situations to score ample runs.

But, if a team is good at getting on base, chances are that they'll be good at it regardless of the situation...regardless of whether our memories tell us that so and so strikes out too much with men on base. What was Dierker's book called? "This Isn't Rocket Science?"
    Why yes. You are correct sir. Teams that are good at not making outs tend to make outs less and tend to score more runs. You are a smart man.

And not only that, players and teams actually tend to hit better with Runners on Base than they do with none on.

Seems to me that if you want to protect a hitter, get on base in front of him. If you want to make yourself a better hitter, ask that someone proficient at getting on base hit ahead of you in the lineup.

The key to having a good situational hitting team is to go find a bunch of guys who don't make outs all that often. Do the opposite and you're counting on an assist from fairy dust and magic jelly beans.

Yep. Not rocket science.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    And not only that, players and teams actually tend to hit better with Runners on Base than they do with none on.
    is that from pitching in the stretch?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Probably not to the degree George Grande has for Jim Edmonds but he's crushing for him big time.
    To be fair, Grande's love for Edmonds is one of those once in a lifetime loves
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    is that from pitching in the stretch?
    Probably from a number of things including pitching from the stretch.

Infielders cheating for the DP rather than using straight-up positioning, less ability to "nibble", pitcher distraction, etc. etc.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    To be fair, Grande's love for Edmonds is one of those once in a lifetime loves
    "Nobody puts Jimmy in the corner."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

More speak-first, think-later and poorly chosen terminology from Kullman about Adam Dunn and the strikeouts. That really didn't sound good.

Look, I don't want Non-Stop Say-Nothing DanO Diplomacy in the front office either, but is there not a happy medium between candor and leaving a couple of things to the imagination?

Turn Off Ads?