Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
When I hear a guy say "more efficient" regarding the Reds offense, I hear "put the ball on the ground to the right side", "move the runners along", "do the little things".

That's all well and good, with different personnel and with a different skill set than we had last year.

You have to chose your offensive philosophy. We're not set up for small ball, unless Aurilia and Womak get a lot of playing time.

Look at your personnel and play to their strengths.
I didn't get that at all. I came away with the idea that a batter had to make adjustments to the pitcher within an at bat. And those adjustments were what many of the Reds were not good at and it was a cause of some of the strikeouts.

I did not sense a need to change managerial philosophy to a small ball philosophy. No rise in hitting behind the runners or bunting or anything like that. I sensed that the overall approach is good for the team, but that each individual at bat can be more effecient and effective, which will make the team overall more effective. So understanding that in a situation with a fast runner on first as a left handed hitter, the pitcher is not likely to throw you changeups (because it makes stealing easier) and the pitcher is not likely to throw you pitchs on the inside half of the plate (where it will be easier to pull the ball into the hole). As a hitter we need to adjust better to those situations so that we can get the pitchs we want to hit and drive with power, versus maintaining the exact same plate approach no matter what the situation.

I don't know what he is thinking at the plate, but having watched him over the last several years, this is the one way I see Adam Dunn cutting down the strikeouts without negatively impacting the rest of his game. This is the balance of micro versus macro. It is Chambliss's job to understand help dunn with the micro. It is a GMs job to manage the macro while at least understanding the impact of the micro.