Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Commercialization of a Song

Re: Worst Commercialization of a Song

not really commercialization, but on Dragonfly TV (PBS Kids), they usually use the intro to Megadeth's "Peace Sells" when they're seging into something involving athletics.
    Ugh. I can remember when that bass line was the theme song for MTV News with Kurt Loder.

Believe it or not, there are times when I think commercialization of a song is a good thing. If an artist is largely unknown (or even sometimes if he is), a well-made commercial can give great exposure.
    Soul Coughing's excellent song "Super Bon Bon" appeared in a Heineken ad a few years ago. It would have been great except for the fact that the band broke up about three years prior to the commercial.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the sell out thing has gone by the boards............selling out in the 60's-70's and even 80's was tied to anything a band did to promote themselves, other than the usual avenues.

Madison avenue is consider the corp world......and anything to do with corp/establishment was downgraded by the counterculture.

When McCartney did the Bond song...."Live and let Die".... he was considered a sell out.

I think things changed when "Revolution" was used.... on that Nike commercial.... anything after that was fair game.

Aerosmith is by far the worst of the sell your songs to anyone who will pay.

Polyphonic Spree can thank Volkswagen and Apple. "Light and Day" commercial was great. Saved them after being dropped by their label.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Anybody see Jaguar, the quintessential car of the establishment, using "London Calling" by the Clash a few years ago?

I remember Paul Simon appearing on Letterman several years ago, discussing many of the ads he'd turned down.

Midas Mufflers actually pitched him on the idea of using "Sound of Silence" to sell mufflers ("Sound of Midas").
    Stick to your guns.

Chevy: Like a Rock. Oh. Like a Rock.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I dont really care if a song gets commercialized or not, I didnt write it. The way I look at it, if you wrote it, you can sell it. And yes, i know sometimes the guy who buys the rights then sells it, but ultimately, the artists sells iit somewhere.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

The new Pizza Hut "Bites" commercials featuring "These Boots were made for walking" make me want to vomit.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    The new Pizza Hut "Bites" commercials featuring "These Boots were made for walking" make me want to vomit.
    The actual bites made me want to vomit.

I get upset everytime I hear a Beatles song in a commercial. They were too good for that.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I get upset everytime I hear a Beatles song in a commercial. They were too good for that.
    Blame Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The actual bites made me want to vomit.
    Are you saying bites bite?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Are you saying bites bite?
    I'd say they looked like they bit.

I don't eat corporate pizza, life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Totally agree. It was bad enough when Mrs. Nick Lachey covered that song and did a horrible job of it (nice video though), but then to use it in that manner in a commercial is just out of line.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Blame Michael Jackson
    I do.

Some car commercial uses "Slow Ride"... I like it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?