Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felipe Lopez avoids arb..1 year $2.7 million

Re: Felipe Lopez avoids arb..1 year $2.7 million

I'm hoping that the new management, once settled in, will address this. Can't see them doing it though until they have settled the GM position.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't understand why people think he wouldn't sign LT because Austin Kearns hasn't. It's highly unlikely that the two will play together throughout their careers, therefore, I highly doubt this is a credible reason.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

There are some people on this very same thread who called for a long term deal for D'Angelo Jimenez.

For the record, PECOTA projects Felipe at .265/.337/.427 for this year.

That's very good for a shortstop, but make no mistake, Felipe is no Adam Dunn. His history is erratic, and he's playing a position in which defense is more crucial.

I wouldn't break the bank for this guy. Or Harang. Dunn is another matter.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I'd trade Felo before Dunn, and now might not be such a bad time to do it.

He had a breakout yeah, he's cheap and he plays a position of need.

Trade him for some prospects, at least 1 of whom is a SS/2B and rebuild off that.

Just a thought.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Felipe is no Adam Dunn. His history is erratic, and he's playing a position in which defense is more crucial.

I wouldn't break the bank for this guy. Or Harang. Dunn is another matter.
    Just because his history is erratic is no reason to write him off. Isn't it possible that he's starting to put it all together?

I wouldn't break the bank for him either, but if he has another good year, I'd be thinking about a reasonable 3-yr contract with incentives.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Just because his history is erratic is no reason to write him off. Isn't it possible that he's starting to put it all together?

I wouldn't break the bank for him either, but if he has another good year, I'd be thinking about a reasonable 3-yr contract with incentives.
    Oh, I agree with not writing him off. I just think there's a good chance... say 30-40% that he'll never ever have another year like last year, at least while playing shortstop. For that reason, let's not go crazy with the contract.

For Dunn... go crazy.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

see jack wilsons contract, please lock felo up long term now
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Glenn Braggs

Good hitting shortstops are currently a rare breed.

How much would you pay for Lopez over a three or four year span?

The Pirates will pay Wilson so much money because he is the best NL defensive shortstop (maybe along with Furcal) and they also bank on an improved offensive production since he had an injury history the last years.

Here are some contracts of other shortstops:
    Code:
    E. Renteria, 29.....4 yrs./$40

R. Furcal,   28.....3 yrs./$39

O. Cabrera,  30.....4 yrs./$32

J. Wilson,   28.....4 yrs./$24.7

C. Guzman,   27.....4 yrs./$16.8

O. Vizquel,  38.....3 yrs./$12.25

D. Eckstein, 30.....3 yrs./$10.25
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/statsgeek.asp

I'd expect Felo to wait for another big year then ask the moon, will the Reds pay it? I doubt it.
    Go Gators!

Felo is a Scott Boras client... Good luck
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?