Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening Day Starter?

Re: Opening Day Starter?

Harang as OD starter is not a given. When nobody on your staff is an ace, then it's wide open. I don't think you can just pencil Harang in. It'll be whoever's hot coming out of ST...could be Harang, could be anybody else.

Also it depends on how JN wants to set up the rotation. But I don't think anyone can assume it's going to start with Harang.

Also, I don't think the Reds are done making moves to try to bolster the starting rotation. Any move they make between now and OD will also be a factor.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I cast my vote for Milton.

Look at the recent list of the last five Reds opening day starters

05 - Wilson
    04 - Lidle
    03 - Haynes
    02 - Hamilton
    01 - Harnisch

By the next season at a minimum, each one was no longer on the team.

I've got Pick 'em odds that Wilson will be in the same boat by June, completing the circle.

Let's put Milton on the fast track out of town and keep this streak alive.

When Dan O was here I was sure it would be Milton because he's we paid him to be our "ace"

Now..I'm not sure..I still have a funny feeling Milton will have a good spring, get the start and get rocked for 10 runs in 2 innings.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Look at the last several Opening Day starters we've had. Bad things happened to them. Some were injured, some were cut, some had bad years. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
    Uncle Miltie !

There and Back Again...

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Harang as OD starter is not a given. When nobody on your staff is an ace, then it's wide open. I don't think you can just pencil Harang in. It'll be whoever's hot coming out of ST...could be Harang, could be anybody else.

Also it depends on how JN wants to set up the rotation. But I don't think anyone can assume it's going to start with Harang.

Also, I don't think the Reds are done making moves to try to bolster the starting rotation. Any move they make between now and OD will also be a factor.
    Harang was the first Reds pitcher in seven seasons to pitch 200+ IP with a sub-4.00 ERA. The Reds aren't going to trade for anyone better than that between now and opening day.

Forget about pencilling in Harang as the OD starter, you chisel it in with a jackhammer.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Harang isn't a sure thing until you look at the other options...

Claussen? Younger and hasn't performed as well...
    Milton? ERA above 6 as your OD starter...
    Wilson? Will he even be healthy enough to start
    Williams? Do I have to explain

Certainly Harang shouldn't be an opening day starter, generally speaking. But in the context of the Reds, there is no other reasonable choice.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

It'll be Harang unless he's hurt or a trade is made for someone better.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Maybe the new ownership nixed that jinx Chip!

I don't see how it can't be Harang.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

All I'm sayin' is that while Harang is the most likely, it's not a done deal. What if he has a crappy spring?

I just think that JN will give the ball to the guy who has the most impressive ST. It might be Harang, it might not.

We'll have to revisit this thread when the OD starter is announced.

Turn Off Ads?