Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds interviewed Wilder

Reds interviewed Wilder

Reds interview White Sox exec for GM post

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

The Reds have publicly acknowledged eight candidates for their general manager opening, but at least one person not on that list has interviewed for the job.

David Wilder, director of player development for the World Series champion Chicago White Sox, confirmed this morning that he was in Cincinnati earlier this week for an interview. Wilder declined to comment any further.

Wilder, who has been in his current position for the last two seasons, oversees Chicago's minor league and Latin American operations.

Before joining the White Sox, he spent 2000-03 with the Milwaukee Brewers, first as vice president of player personnel and later as a special assignment scout. In 2000, he was a member of the USA Baseball selection committee which put together the team that won the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics.

Before his time in Milwaukee, Wilder served as the Chicago Cubs' farm director for three seasons (1996-98) and assistant general manager for one year (1999). He also worked in various capacities, mostly in scouting, for the Atlanta Braves from 1991-95.

Wilder interviewed last fall for the Boston Red Sox general manager job that eventually went back to Theo Epstein. Wilder also interviewed for the Reds' GM job the last time it was open, following the 2003 season.

Wilder also interviewed for the Reds' GM job the last time it was
    open, following the 2003 season.

The eight acknowledged candidates for the Reds' vacancy are Reds director of international scouting and player development Johnny Almaraz, Philadelphia Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle, Reds special adviser Jim Beattie, Minnesota Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky, Reds director of major league operations Brad Kullman, Reds special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox, St. Louis Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak and Atlanta Braves assistant GM Frank Wren.

Reds chief executive Bob Castellini has said he would like to have a general manager in place by the end of next week.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds interviewed Wilder

But have they interviewed Van Wilder?

Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Or Gene Wilder.

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Is Billy Wilder still alive?

Guess not...
    Last edited by MartyFan; 02-03-2006 at 02:10 PM.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I was always a big James Wilder fan.

Thorton Wilder could make Cincinnati "Our Town"

You never know what path a thread will take. This one is a good example.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    You never know what path a thread will take. This one is a good example.
    Sort of a wilder path, wouldn't you say?

I guess as long as it isn't Honey Wilder.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

You know, I hate to head down this path, but Wilder is African-American. Since the Reds were under an obligation to interview a minority and Leland Maddox had to delay his interview because he had the flu, it's very possible that Castellini already knows who he wants and he's just doing due diligence.

No, I don't necessarily want to start a big discussion about this sort of thing, but it's one scenario to explain the way Wilder's candidacy wasn't really publicized.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I guess as long as it isn't Honey Wilder.
    What's wrong with that?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What's wrong with that?
    could distract from business at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    could distract from business at hand.

If Honey would like an interview she can come over my place and I can give it to her. I know Mr. Castellini is a busy man, any way that I can help....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    You know, I hate to head down this path, but Wilder is African-American. Since the Reds were under an obligation to interview a minority and Leland Maddox had to delay his interview because he had the flu, it's very possible that Castellini already knows who he wants and he's just doing due diligence.

No, I don't necessarily want to start a big discussion about this sort of thing, but it's one scenario to explain the way Wilder's candidacy wasn't really publicized.
    I for one would love for the Reds to be progressive enough to be part of the solution and not part of the problem...but only if the person IS the best candidate.

I like Wilder...I think he would be a very good GM based on his experiences...he is my first choice...then Krivsky...then pretty much all the rest.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    I was always a big James Wilder fan.

Wasn't thinking of James Wilder the football player. For some odd reason, I thought you meant James Wilder, the actor.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?