Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds interviewed Wilder

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Reds interviewed Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    You know, I hate to head down this path, but Wilder is African-American. Since the Reds were under an obligation to interview a minority and Leland Maddox had to delay his interview because he had the flu, it's very possible that Castellini already knows who he wants and he's just doing due diligence.

No, I don't necessarily want to start a big discussion about this sort of thing, but it's one scenario to explain the way Wilder's candidacy wasn't really publicized.
    You can't NOT bring this up. It's always going to be the suspicion, due to our society's racial context. However, considering the Reds are going to interview Maddox, and made a good faith effort to interview Mike Hill, I suspect that the Reds are truly looking for the candidate they think will be best for the team, rather than just interviewing people for show.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    You know, I hate to head down this path, but Wilder is African-American. Since the Reds were under an obligation to interview a minority and Leland Maddox had to delay his interview because he had the flu, it's very possible that Castellini already knows who he wants and he's just doing due diligence.

No, I don't necessarily want to start a big discussion about this sort of thing, but it's one scenario to explain the way Wilder's candidacy wasn't really publicized.
    So Doc, who do you think it is?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    You can't NOT bring this up. It's always going to be the suspicion, due to our society's racial context. However, considering the Reds are going to interview Maddox, and made a good faith effort to interview Mike Hill, I suspect that the Reds are truly looking for the candidate they think will be best for the team, rather than just interviewing people for show.
    I hope so and I hope Maddox's interview still happens.

Krusty, if you ask me, it's either Frank Wren or John Mozeliak. Of course, those are the two that I'm also sort of pulling for (new blood), but I do think it will be one of them.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The Reds.com Story

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Nothing new or earth shattering in that story.

I don't think has been brought up yet or not, but Wilder was Dean Taylor's right hand man in Milwaukee while Taylor was the GM.

Also, Wilder was the Farm Director for the Cubs in the late 90's which oversaw the likes of Kerry Wood get throttled thru the system in just a few short years.

I'm sure there is much more to his resume than that, but at first glance, I'm not a big fan of what I see.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I don't question that the Reds are making a good faith effort to find the best fit for their team, but it raises a large question in my mind about the effectiveness of programs designed to encourage minority involvement in professional sports. The current system of minority interviewing requirements used by the NFL and MLB is silly at best and downright offensive to minority groups at worst. How demeaning do you think it is to a guy like Mike Singletary in the NFL to look at the list of names interviewed for a job and realize he's the "Rooney Rule" candidate, there just to allow a team to check a box off prior to making a hire?

There's been progress in recent years with getting more minorities involved in sports coaching and management, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of the people who are doing the hiring in these situations are white male owners and white male general managers. In order for sports to take "the next step" on the path to diversity and gender equality (don't forget, as bad as professional sports are with the non-inclusion of minorities in the front office, they're 100 times worse with the inclusion of women in the front office) there will have to be more diverse faces in the rooms that make the decisions as opposed to chairs that the candidates are sitting in.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?