Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on Sweet Lou...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

More on Sweet Lou...

Tampa Tribune

Early last November, Piniella was invited to Cincinnati to meet with new Reds owner Bob Castellini, who offered him a job as special adviser. That's the official version, anyway. Truth is, Castellini wants Piniella to join the Reds so much, Lou could have been named manager if he had wanted to.
    He didn't.

"I could have gone to a few places," Piniella said. "I just wasn't ready though. I need to get the cobwebs out, get hungry again. I won't manage again just for the sake of managing, and I'll tell you right now, the only teams interested in hiring me in the future will be those interested in winning."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More on Sweet Lou...

I see Lou here either midway during the season or 2007.. just a gut feeling!

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Castellini note to self: I must SHOW Lou Piniella that I'm interested in winning!

RedsFans notes to selves: YES, there IS a baseball god and he just may be FINALLY deciding to smile upon the Cincinnati Reds!

Castellini is a smart cookie. If Lou had said, "yes" it would have been huge. If a guy wants to show Redsnation that he's serious about winning, bringing Lou back would send the message (and increase ticket sales).

I hope Lou comes back. I kinda think he will.

Too bad for Narron. I'm sure he'll end up feeling like a lame duck (if he doesn't already).
    Last edited by max venable; 02-03-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Retired

Piniella will be the Reds manager by opening day 2007 at the latest.

The only way I don't see it happening is if Torre resigns, gets fired, retires or whatever and Lou goes to manage the Yankees.

There is really no good reason that anyone else should have been managing the Reds these past 15 years.

Still not sure if bringing him back changes much, but it can't hurt.

I can see the meeting summary now...

"Well guys, as we're not interested in winning, I guess there's no reason to approach Mr. Pinella about the opening we have at the manager position. Do you have anybody on your list who just wants to make people feel good?"

"Actually sir, Dusty Baker might soon be available..."

You know what guys, I really don't see the neccessity of bringing him back for now. Narron had the team playing pretty well compared to Miley. If the new ownership gives Narron the guys he needs, then he will do well. Don't get me wrong, I like Sweet Lou, but we can't continue to play musical managers. If the team does not play well this year, then I am all for it. If it does continue to improve, then I say leave Narron and let Lou be Castellini's assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by top6
    There is really no good reason that anyone else should have been managing the Reds these past 15 years.

Still not sure if bringing him back changes much, but it can't hurt.
    It changes a lot of things. He will not tolerating incompentance
    and put a fire in the players that we havent seen since... well... Lou was managing. Just look at Tampa Bay the pitching staff blew but you never saw them quit they went out there and poured their heart into it because their manager did. When was the last time you saw Dave Miley or anyone else we had manage be able to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotrod
    You know what guys, I really don't see the neccessity of bringing him back for now. Narron had the team playing pretty well compared to Miley. If the new ownership gives Narron the guys he needs, then he will do well. Don't get me wrong, I like Sweet Lou, but we can't continue to play musical managers. If the team does not play well this year, then I am all for it. If it does continue to improve, then I say leave Narron and let Lou be Castellini's assistant.
    How much of it was Ruhle though? Weve gone over the numbers and the pitching improved when Ruhle became the pitching coach. We all said at the start of last year we could go places with our offense if the pitching could be even average.

Lou might have quite a few jobs open, we might not be a top choice for him
    Go Gators!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Lou can not manage again until 2007 per his buyout agreement.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I love Piniella and what he did in 1990, but the team should not go back to the well just for the sake of nostalgia. The team on the field matters far more than the field manager. Unless Castellini and Co. plan to invest in the product on the field, especially the guys who play in the middle of the diamond on the little mound of dirt, I don't see much utility in a high-priced manager, even if he did once pound on Rob Dibble.

Go Redlegs!!!!

Much success in life (in and out of baseball) is dependent on being able to seperate the real from the bull****. For example:

The bull**** answer:

"I could have gone to a few places," Piniella said. "I just wasn't ready though. I need to get the cobwebs out, get hungry again. I won't manage again just for the sake of managing, and I'll tell you right now, the only teams interested in hiring me in the future will be those interested in winning."

The real answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Lou can not manage again until 2007 per his buyout agreement.

"Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    I love Piniella and what he did in 1990, but the team should not go back to the well just for the sake of nostalgia. The team on the field matters far more than the field manager. Unless Castellini and Co. plan to invest in the product on the field, especially the guys who play in the middle of the diamond on the little mound of dirt, I don't see much utility in a high-priced manager, even if he did once pound on Rob Dibble.
    Hiring Lou Pinella would be a send a big message to the players and the fans that the new ownership isn't just more of the same. Is that all that needs to be done? Of course not, but it would be a great place to start.This is how the Cardinals began rebuilding in the mid 90's. Walt Jocketty was hired as GM, and one of his first moves was to hire a well known manager, Tony Larussa. Nobody is saying that you hire a new manager and everything is magically fixed, but it does send a message that the future is brighter. I think that's all fans need to start coming back. Fans just need to know that the owners care about winning. Hiring Lou Pinella would show just that.

Turn Off Ads?