Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

  1. #1
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,884

    Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    On the other board, in the discussion about Mike Hill and others turning down interviews, M2 said:

    "These are strange days in MLB. It's not just the Reds. Ass. GMs seem to be turning down GM interviews all over the place. Maybe that's why we've got this new abbreviation for all the happy lieutenants out there."

    Could it be that the "Happy Lieutenants" out there are turning down interviews because of the perception that Jim Beattie, a two-time former GM, has already got the owner's ear.

    Think about it. Guys like Antonetti and Mike Hill are (supposedly) happy in their roles as second fiddles (or third fiddle in Hill's case because of the hands-on style of Dave Sampson). The only reason they'd want to leave their situtations would be to get significantly more say and more power over what goes on in the baseball operation.

    I'm not saying this as a slam on Beattie, because I have no reason to believe that he's a "usurper." But I think it would be natural for the GM candidates to see him as a threat to their power.

    [somewhat unrelated note about Beattie: I've heard through the grapevine that Beattie developed a reputation in Baltimore for not working "GM hours." In other words, he wasn't coming into the office to work the hours expected of a modern GM (i.e. ALL hours). Has anybody else heard this?]
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,717

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    That's a pretty good line of thinking, could other guys see him as another voice they will have to listen to in addition to Allen, and Casto and think it's not worth the effort?

    Hmm.
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,421

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    If Beattie doesn't get the job, he might get the assistant GM position with Dean Taylor getting the boot.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  5. #4
    Curveballer Candy Cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Ware, Mass.
    Posts
    529

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Its a little like having Jerry Narron hanging around. Miley had to know what was coming.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

    Click here for FalconBlog

  6. #5
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,173

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Good point to ponder. I wonder, but I think it's something else.

    Say you have this owner that demands winning. Say the club hasn't won for years and has the second worst pitching staff in the league. Now say the owner says there will be increase in payroll. Then say that the big contracts of Eric Milton and Ken Griffey, Jr. are not moveable. Then finally you say this is going to be a lot of work and very difficult. Hmmm.

    You just might pass.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  7. #6
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Good point to ponder. I wonder, but I think it's something else.

    Say you have this owner that demands winning. Say the club hasn't won for years and has the second worst pitching staff in the league. Now say the owner says there will be increase in payroll. Then say that the big contracts of Eric Milton and Ken Griffey, Jr. are not moveable. Then finally you say this is going to be a lot of work and very difficult. Hmmm.

    You just might pass.
    And if these guys want to wait for a job with a $125+ million payroll, a good club on the field, and a top-notch farm system already in place, good luck to them.

    Of course it's going to be hard work. GMs generally don't get replaced because they have the organization in great shape. If they want to take over an organization that's in great shape, perhaps they'll find that opportunity elsewhere

    Personally, I'm not sure we should want any GM who would turn down an interview opportunity because the job might be too hard.

    It seems like we have some qualified names interested in the job (though most on here will be better judges of that than I am) so I'm not sure Beattie is "scaring off" too many.

  8. #7
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,717

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Why walk into a close to impossible situation and sully your name for life when you can stay a LT and make more $
    Go Gators!

  9. #8
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,776

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Why walk into a close to impossible situation and sully your name for life when you can stay a LT and make more $
    Agreed.

    On a personal note, in my occupation I'm in a "Happy LT" situation and its got a very strong appeal. A lot of people look at the overall quality of life when evaluating a job, not just a title, recognition or income. The hours, stress level, travel and accountability are all severe for my boss whereas I'm financially comfortable hanging back, dealing with a minimal amount of the BS and seeing my kids grow up.

    Also, when positions do come open(happens a lot) guys in my position very much look at the potential for success. In fact its the first thing you look at. NO ONE wants to walk into a situation in which you are set up for failure because you won't ever be able to go get your old cushy "trusted LT" job back if you fail.

    Anyway, just my .02 but for me and a lot of guys I know in similar situations, Krono's post is dead on accurate.

  10. #9
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,884

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    See, I don't see this job as an impossible situation at all, given the facts that are publicly available.

    If RCast is a jerk behind closed doors, that's another story.

    If the Reds have a secret deal with MLB to bring in Pete Rose in '07, that's another story.

    But from what I can see, the next GM enters a situation that any half wit could improve. Dan O'Brien was quite unique in his ability to take as situation as bad as it was in '03, then make it worse.

    We're in a (relatively) low payroll division, we have some offensive talent, and we have a fan base that's proven it will support a team that contends.

    The only thing that should scare off GMs are personality conflicts and meddlers.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    156

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    I hope the field of candidates realizes that this job will be a challenge. The fact that some potential candidates are declining suggests that the nature of the challenge is being noticed. From his various comments, Castellini wants a GM to focus on both long-term and short-term improvement. That dual focus is going to be very difficult without a surge in payroll or a complete change in organizational mindset (e.g., duplication of the A's model).

    I once wrote on the other board that O'Brien's first press conference made it look like he saw the Reds' GM opportunity as a culmination of a career's hard work, like a capstone to what had come before. He gave an Oscar speech thanking the world and proceeded to invite old friends into his new company. I don't see the new GM doing the same thing. For one thing, Castellini will probably be standing right there at the press conference and will probably reiterate his goal of working hard now to improve the club.

    As for Beattie's role and influence, I don't know what to think. If he wasn't willing to work long hours in Baltimore, that's not good. Nevertheless, I can't say I blame him too much. He was co-GM in a franchise run by a meddling owner. Who knows how much influence he really had. I guess some candidates may fear a Rasputin role for Beattie in the club, but I don't see it. I just don't think his current, limited role is a bad one or anything other candidates need to fear. If he were more entrenched, like Lucchino in Boston, I might feel differently. Don't get me wrong, he shouldn't get the job. I just don't see him as a big red flag for candidates. If anything, Castellini may look like a meddling owner. Candidates likely noticed that he said he is going to work out of GABP for the next few weeks. I'm sure they noticed how quickly he fired O'Brien, who had only been on the job for 2 years. For those who cited comfortable second-in-command roles for those who are declining interviews, I think there may be a lot to that.

    [This is my first post on ORG after years of just reading others' comments. I love the quality of this board and am proud to be a part of it.]
    Last edited by Henry Clay; 02-04-2006 at 05:24 PM.

  12. #11
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,173

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    If anything, Castellini may look like a meddling owner. Candidates likely noticed that he said he is going to work out of GABP for the next few weeks. I'm sure they noticed how quickly he fired O'Brien, who had only been on the job for 2 years. For those who cited comfortable second-in-command roles for those who are declining interviews, I think there may be a lot to that.
    I think, with some of the guys who declined an interview, this was probably the case. If you happen to be in a comfortable position and have aspirations to be a GM, why walk into this situation? Much like it did for Dan O'Brien (and Lord knows he had it coming), it could wreck your dream for years.

    OTOH, we've got some good candidates, so I just hope a good guy gets the job and gets the job done. If not, he's history. And I don't think Castellini will wait around to can him, either.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  13. #12
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    I could care less if the GM is in the office for X of hours a week. Face time sucks as does expecting people to do nothing but work just because they have an important position. Just do the job, however long it takes.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #13
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,884

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I could care less if the GM is in the office for X of hours a week. Face time sucks as does expecting people to do nothing but work just because they have an important position. Just do the job, however long it takes.
    I should also point out that the "source" for this innuendo about Beattie was the afternoon "Big Show" here on WEEI am in Boston. Beattie was a candidate for the Red Sox' GM job, and allegedly the Team President (Lucchino) wanted to give it to him, but the owner (John Henry) vetoed him.

    His lack of time at the office was one reason cited by WEEI, not by John Henry.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  15. #14
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,688

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    If anything, Castellini may look like a meddling owner.
    Lindner was an uninvolved owner. Now Castellini is possibly a meddling one?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,672

    Re: Is the Presence of Jim Beattie scaring off some potential GM candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Lindner was an uninvolved owner. Now Castellini is possibly a meddling one?
    Lindner wasn't uninvolved. Lindner was Schott status quo. He only fired Bowden when he had no other choice and then he hires a napping local boy who he feels comfortable won't rock the boat to much.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25