Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Here We Go Steelers

Re: Here We Go Steelers

In general, whining over officiating is crap.
    Especially when you won the game (*cough* Indy *cough*).

Steeler fans claim everyone else (yes, EVERYONE else) is just bitter. However, they don't seem to mind dedicating thousand-word explanations about Kimo's "clean hit", why the refs calls against them in Indy were so very, very wrong and why the refs in the Super Bowl were virtually perfect. The rationalizations are flowing like warm Iron City beer. But like that yeasty swill, the bad taste won't go away. It's going to linger.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    savafan is only pointing out that the rest of the nation sees it one way, and Steeler fans see it another. Deny it if you will, but the truth is the truth.
    Everyone pretty much agrees that the officiating sucks. But to say Seattle lost the game to the officials is wrong. The gadget play in the fourth quarter killed them. Was that the officials fault? The officials didn't help Seattle at all. I won't argue that. But when the score was 14-10 in the third quarter, they had ample opportunity to take the lead and they didn't.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Come on...you know controversy sells papers. This "post-Super Bowl" period is one of the toughest for the national sports media, at least until the conference tournaments start up for college basketball. They're naturally going to take any excuse they can get to milk a few extra drops out of the NFL before the season comes to a close and the endless draft speculation begins.

The officiating in the game was poor -- hell, the officiating in the playoffs in general has been poor -- but officiating/umpiring/judging could always be better in sports. It's going to continue to BE poor until the NFL sets up more stringent paramaters on what constitutes various infractions, especially on the judgment calls such as holding and pass interferene, or puts more officials on the field to ensure that at least one official at all times has a clear view of the play. At least in this go around, there were no suspicious rules pulled seemingly out of the air a la Polamalu's "The INT that is not an INT" a couple weeks back or Brady's infamous tuck rule against Oakland.

In general, whining over officiating is crap. I'm an on-again-off-again member of the official Buccaneers BBS (about as quality as Reds.com), and the whining over there was absolutely unbearable following the playoff loss to Washington and Edell Shephard's dropped pass. Bucs fans can whine all they want about possession rules and catches, but it obscures the real issues, like poor offensive line blocking that led to two INTs on Simms and poor ball control that led to a fumble by Cadillac Williams. The bottom line is, teams determine outcomes of games by making plays. Seattle, even accounting for officiating, didn't make as many plays as Pittsburgh and they lost the Super Bowl because of it. There's nothing "tainted" about Pittsburgh's win -- they finished the game with more points than their opposition. Seattle had chances to score points that it left on the field with poor special teams play, poor clock management, and poor playcalling. Make a play.

The pity in all of this is that it is obscuring what should be a great moment for a great coach and human being in Bill Cowher, and giving a free pass to Mike Holmgren, who was (once again) outcoached in the Big Game. It's beyond moronic that they didn't run Shaun Alexander more than they did, and their clock management, as stated, was horrendous to end the 1st half. Last I checked, the officials didn't tell Hasselbeck to stand at the line for 20 seconds gesturing like he was suffering from some sort of psychosis while having a spare timeout and the clock ticking down.
    Amen brother. I couldn't have said it any better.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Everyone pretty much agrees that the officiating sucks. But to say Seattle lost the game to the officials is wrong. The gadget play in the fourth quarter killed them. Was that the officials fault? The officials didn't help Seattle at all. I won't argue that. But when the score was 14-10 in the third quarter, they had ample opportunity to take the lead and they didn't.
    The score wouldn't have been 14-10 were it not for the officials. This is what you and Steeler nation, or whatever you guys call yourselves, aren't getting Krusty.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

No one is going to change anyone's mind on this, IMO. Let's not beat this horse to death please.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Just a quick question about the holding call...can an OL hook the shoulder of the pash rusher after he has been beat?

No, I am not being a smart guy, its an honest question, because if he can, then, it wasnt a hold.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The supporters of the offensive PI are wayyyyyyyyyyy overstating the contact. I don't even think that would be a foul in basketball.
    I'm not a Steeler fan - there were exactly three people in the endzone. The receiver, the CB and the ref. Jackson clearly extended his arm when the ball was in the air. The CB clearly was not only stopped dead in his tracks, but the push also caused him to be slightly lifted (as happens when someone pushes you against your will). It was directly in front of the official who had nothing else to look at besides those two players.

That was an easy call, and a correct one. To say it wasn't is clearly bias by those who don't like the Steelers. You can argue that the calls didn't go both ways, that the Steelers got more breaks, etc and I won't say a word. But to claim that wasn't interference isn't intellectually honest. Jackson extended his arm with the ball in the air and stopped the defender from being able to make a play.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

A lighthearted read about the Super Bowl:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3640680.html

Super Bowl factoids even ABC didn't offer

By NORMAN CHAD

Super Bowl Sunday had a little of everything: Terrible Towels, MVPs on parade, the Whopperettes, an instant-replay reversal, Cheesy Bites, "We have a Code Black" repeated and annoying Radio Shack ads, Satisfaction, a gadget-play touchdown, ABC's NFL swan song, The Bus' last ride, Fabio and, of course, a game for all ages.

Anyway, I took notes:

2:14 p.m. CST Bill Belichick looked as comfortable on the pregame set as a turkey the night before Thanksgiving.

2:52 Note to August Busch IV: You can "blah blah blah" all you want about Budweiser Select, but I'm only pushing Rolling Rock up the hill.

3:07 I didn't know Jerome Bettis was from Detroit.

3:48 Those Grey's Anatomy promos almost scared me back to radio.

4:02 At my last MLS Cup party, we had a drinking game involving corner kicks.

4:23 I don't know why, but I thought Belichick might eventually do some shadow puppets.

5:21 Something tells me that future civilizations will look back at our Super Bowl ceremonial coin tosses with a degree of derision.

5:29 The phone rings moments after kickoff it's my second ex-wife, asking me what I'm doing. Man, she's got to let it go.

5:43 Sadly, I realize that the most complex and rewarding relationship I've ever had as an adult is with John Madden.

5:51 I used to have wavy locks like Troy Polamalu, but my co-workers at the cookie factory made me cut them.

5:59 It's all about interior line play, my friends, interior line play. And turnovers.

6:16 If Osama bin Laden were ever going to slip into America unnoticed, I'd bet it would be during the second quarter of the Super Bowl.

6:22 Mike Holmgren calls his own plays. I tried that during my first marriage it doesn't work.

6:26 One drawback to HDTV Bill Cowher's chin literally juts into your living room.

6:35 Ben Roethlisberger reminds me of a taller, slower whirling dervish!

7:06 The Rolling Stones were three-and-out. (A Don Mischer Production.)

7:18 Actually, I'm surprised the Stones didn't miss their flight, considering Keith Richards often sets off metal detectors in airports he's not even in.

7:32 One moment I'm in the kitchen getting Fritos, the next moment Willie Parker's in the secondary getting free.

7:40 The game is two hours old, and I still can't believe the Colts aren't in it.

8:01 Madden: "What so you think they were looking at that they made him take his pants down?" (That is uncut and verbatim context not important.)

8:14 Is Al Michaels really going to ESPN next season? That would be like Sinatra playing a Ramada Inn.

8:22 TBS is running a Yes, Dear marathon, figuring that if you don't want to watch the Super Bowl, you really don't want to watch anything on TV.

8:28 Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward! I would have missed it if I hadn't set up a mini-fridge next to the beanbag chair.

8:33 Hey, I love Matt Hasselbeck, but he keeps throwing picks and fumbling balls, he's going to be looking at careerbuilder.com sooner than later.

8:36 Scratch the fumble replay changed it.

8:36:30 If they used instant replay back in the 1970s, I'd bet you Watergate plays out differently.

8:59 The Steelers made three plays all day; the Knicks do that and lose by 15.

9:01 Frankly, the Seahawks should have put their 12th man on the field. But the officials would have flagged them for it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Not many people are saying that it wasnt pass interference we are arguing if your going to let guys play in weeks 1-20 then dont start calling cheap flags like that. As someone has already said that prolly wouldnt have been called in basketball. And to say Seattle had a chance to score and take the lead when it was 14-10 and didnt capitalize is a flat out lie. They had the ball at the one and that phantom hold called so by everyone not pulling for the Steelers took it away not a great play by the Steelers D. Joey Porter was right after the game agaisnt Indy and now Mike Holmgren is right.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    The score wouldn't have been 14-10 were it not for the officials. This is what you and Steeler nation, or whatever you guys call yourselves, aren't getting Krusty.
    I couldn't have cared less who won.

The game I saw was a finesse Seahawks club (which made the fatal early decision not to run between the tackles) trying to avoid the haymakers the Steelers threw their way.

IMO, best case scenario for Seattle is a 21-17 loss (minus that one holding call). If a penalty call is going to get you unhinged, then you're not really much of a threat to begin with. The Seahawks seemed to cave in when faced with a little adversity and flake out under pressure. That's a team that's going to lose a championship game.

What I saw is Pittsburgh deliver a knockout punch in the fourth quarter to a team with a glass chin. Seems to me that's where this contest was inevitably headed.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I'm not a Steeler fan - there were exactly three people in the endzone. The receiver, the CB and the ref. Jackson clearly extended his arm when the ball was in the air. The CB clearly was not only stopped dead in his tracks, but the push also caused him to be slightly lifted (as happens when someone pushes you against your will). It was directly in front of the official who had nothing else to look at besides those two players.

That was an easy call, and a correct one. To say it wasn't is clearly bias by those who don't like the Steelers. You can argue that the calls didn't go both ways, that the Steelers got more breaks, etc and I won't say a word. But to claim that wasn't interference isn't intellectually honest. Jackson extended his arm with the ball in the air and stopped the defender from being able to make a play.

Against incalculable odds, I completely agree. The ball was in the air. He pushed him off, right in front of the ref.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy

These are judgment calls, so calls of intellectual dishonesty is as ticky tack as that call was.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I couldn't have cared less who won.

The game I saw was a finesse Seahawks club (which made the fatal early decision not to run between the tackles) trying to avoid the haymakers the Steelers threw their way.

IMO, best case scenario for Seattle is a 21-17 loss (minus that one holding call). If a penalty call is going to get you unhinged, then you're not really much of a threat to begin with. The Seahawks seemed to cave in when faced with a little adversity and flake out under pressure. That's a team that's going to lose a championship game.

What I saw is Pittsburgh deliver a knockout punch in the fourth quarter to a team with a glass chin. Seems to me that's where this contest was inevitably headed.
    I'm a Bengals fan, but also a huge Big Ben fan dating back to his days at Miami University. Thus, I didn't really care who won the game. However, I saw it a lot differently.

The finesse label attached to the Seahawks is a misnomer to me. This is a team that ran the ball 25 times for a 5.5 avg. per carry. That seems like someone up front has to be getting physical.

And the Seahawks absolutely needed to come out throwing the ball to start the game. That's been the recipe that has destroyed the Steelers all year (1st Indy game, 2nd Cincy game, start of 3rd Cincy game). 'Blitzburgh's' D is at its best when it has the opponent in an obvious passing down and can pin its ears back and rush the passer from all angles. Seattle, on a whole, did a good job of mixing the run and pass and avoiding the sacks (and subsequent TOs) that ruined all the Steelers' previous playoff opponents.

This takes us to the 4th Q and Seattle about to cap off a devastating 97-yard drive to take a 17-14 lead. Instead, as had been beaten into the ground, the holding penalty occurs, Hasselbeck throws the INT, Randle-El throws the clinching TD.

I hate the argument how a 'championship' team should be able to overcome adversity. It's a cop-out 99% of the time. Every team overcomes adversity at some point, but it cannot overcome adversity 100% of the time. (I would say Seattle overcame adversity when they lost the NFL MVP in round 2 after 6 carries, or how they overcame a nullified TD in the 1st Q to put themselves in a position to take a 4th Q lead, etc.)

Let's reverse the argument and say Pitt is whistled for holding on the 3rd and 28 hail mary to Ward. If Pitt doesn't score and go on to win the game, is it fair to say Pitt folded after one holding call? I say absolutely not. Which brings me to...

Let's assume Seattle scores to take a 17-14 lead. Pittsburgh now gets the ball relatively deep in their own territory and must now ask Big Ben, who had barely shown a pulse all day, to lead them down the field to tie or take the lead. Maybe I'm naive, but I say big-time advantage to Seattle.
    Last edited by Fil3232; 02-07-2006 at 11:23 AM.

This thread is an excellent example of why a good friend of mine (Steelers fan) and I have not touched the subject of football in conversation since the Bengals-Steelers playoff game.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Deltachi8....i do not know what the rule is on the hook that took place by the RT which was called a hold.

I just think the ref saw the defender go down as if he was being held or dragged down. Now you can say that is human error and the illusion of a hold fooled the official. I have seen it happen many times in many football games in the past. I guess in such a critical call...IMO, the most critical call of all in the game... it would have been nice if a review could have happened. If you are going to use instant replay.... i guess you should be able to go all out in the Super Bowl... and use it 1 time for each team on a judgement call type play. Just like that one. But that is not going to happen and Hasselbeck still threw a bad pass that was INT. The WR was open...or looked open enough but the threw it to the wrong place. If the K had made at least 1 of the FG then maybe they could have played it conservative and it would have still been 16-14 with a FG.

Turn Off Ads?