Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Here We Go Steelers

Re: Here We Go Steelers

Jackson's 1st Q P.I. call was pure garbage. Push-offs happen all the time. Hell, Hines got away with a worse push-off in the second half that wasnt called. Seattle going up 7-0 doesnt change the nature of the game? The two crucial holding calls on Seattle were suspect at best. Again, Taking what most likely was a 17-14 4th Q lead away from Seattle didn't change the otucome of the game?

The refs failed to call the game both ways, which is a shame. In the biggest, most-watched game of the year the zebras turned in a real screw-job. Where was Steady Eddie Hochuli?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Like I said before, three phantom calls.

Especially ironic considering how the Steelers players and fans cried like babies at the officiating in the Indy game.
    The only "phantom" call was the one holding call which looked, to me, like the player fell down. The offensive P.I. call is going to get thrown EVERY time when you extend the arms to contact the DB going parallell to the goal line. The official has a dead-on view of what is going on and sees the WR creating separation. WRs/DBs get away with pushoffs all the time, but the majority that don't get flagged are when the players are going vertical and the official is trying to (simultaneously) watch the sidelines and feet, watch the ball and watch for possession. On the call in the Super Bowl, the official had none of those responsibilities and could easily concentrate on the whole play.

It was an entertaining game, on the whole. I'm glad to see Bill Cowher win a Super Bowl -- he's a tremendous class act.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The officiating, though suspect at times, did not, IMO, cost Seattle this game.

Their own miscues did. So Holmgren can't whine too much IMO. Holding penalties that killed key drives, dropped passes (especially 3 passes by Stevens). He got a lucky call too in the 2nd quarter because that was a reception, and then a fumble. Even Madden stated that.

I'm sure "Fake-39 Toss X-Reverse Pass" will be remembered by Holmgren for quite some time. I can't believe they allowed themselves to get burned on that play. That, and the 75 yd TD run by Parker, is what did Seattle in.

Seattle's defensive scheme did an excellent job the entire 1st half. But their offense could not capitalize. And Holmgren's coaching, IMO, went down hill after that.

At first, I didn't think Ben got in on that TD either. But when watching it again, and while he was in the air, the ball appears to touch the plan before the defender knocked him back/down. Either way, there wasn't enough evidence to cause the officials to overturn the call on the field. That is the rule.

Roethlisberger, who completed just 9 of 21 passes for 123 yards, with no touchdown passes, and two interceptions, finished with the lowest QB rating ever for a SB winning QB (22.6). But he also turned some key plays when he had too. But I'm sure that QB rating is not weighing on his mind this morning.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

On a further note....

I thought the Stone's halftime performance was terrible. Of course, I couldn't name you one song written by them in the last 20+ years. Tatto You was probably the last album of theirs I know anything about.

Anyone notice Mick's little "self censoring" job during Start Me Up?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Congrats to the Steelers for capitalizing on three phantom calls (Jackson's offensive pass interference, Rothlisberger's touchdown, and the holding call that turned a first and goal at the two into a first and twenty from the thirty). Gotta hand it to them, they took what the refs gave them and ran with it.
    Listen, while I'm basking in glory right now let me set you straight. The officiating sucked. No doubt but did it cost Seattle the game? If you watched the game you would seen that Willie Parker's 75 yard run along with Randal El's pass to Hines Ward did more damage than the officiating. Heck Seattle got back into the game when it was 14-10 when Herron picked off Roethlisberger's pass near the end zone.

Then you had the Steelers eating the clock towards the end. But give credit to the Steelers defense for bending but not breaking. To hold a offensively potent Seahawks team to 10 points is an accomplish.

But to say the Steelers conspired with the refs? Now that is a sore loser.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

The officiating most certainly cost the Seahawks the game. First, the offensive pass interference call in the endzone would have been a touchdown. There is no way that was pass interference, and every one of the commentators watching the game said the same thing. Roethlisberger's run that resulted in a touchdown when the ball didn't even break the plane of the endzone. It was reviewed, and they still didn't get it right, because the review official is notorious for not overturning calls. Hasselback's block below the waist on the guy who had the ball...c'mon.

One bad call against a team I can see, but when every bad call goes against the same team, something smells rotten.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Seahawks made way too many mistakes to whine about officiating, and I thought the Steelers would win this game, anyway, but...

The officiating has been awful all year long. This game was just the icing on the cake.

- The official that called Big Ben's dive near the end zone a TD was first marking the ball short and then for some reason changed his mind.

- The pass interference that nullified a TD was a bad call, but when the WR extended his arm it does justify the laundry.

- The phantom holding call that nullified what would've been 1st-and-goal at the 1-yard line, which would've set up the Seahawks to take a 17-14 was a flat out awful call. But at that point I expected a flag anytime the Seahawks did something positive.

The league really does need to address it's officiating and how they're going to take steps to improve their performance.

Sure, the Seahawks may have made some mistakes, but every time they were driving and about to score, or did score, there was a bad call by the officials to break their momentum.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Sure, the Seahawks may have made some mistakes, but every time they were driving and about to score, or did score, there was a bad call by the officials to break their momentum.
    I don't think those holding calls were all bad calls. At least not when they showed the replays. And were the dropped passes by Seattle receivers Pitt's fault? Or the fact they allowed themselves to get burned on two plays for TDs?

Roethlisberger's run that resulted in a touchdown when the ball didn't even break the plane of the endzone. It was reviewed, and they still didn't get it right, because the review official is notorious for not overturning calls.
    There wasn't enough conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field. That is the rule. I've watched several sports shows this morning review/show that play, and even they themselves cannot agree. So the refs, IMO, made the right call.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-06-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Where is the Super Bowl played at next year, and what veteran Browns players nearing retirement are from that city?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Roethlisberger's run that resulted in a touchdown when the ball didn't even break the plane of the endzone. It was reviewed, and they still didn't get it right, because the review official is notorious for not overturning calls.
    I didn't think they'd overturn because it was "too close to call." But I did have a problem with the official who first ran in to spot the ball short, and then changing his call to TD.

One bad call against a team I can see, but when every bad call goes against the same team, something smells rotten.
    The Steelers could've said the same thing when they played Indy. But they overcame the bad calls. The Seahawks didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds

The Steelers could've said the same thing when they played Indy. But they overcame the bad calls. The Seahawks didn't.
    Oh, I agree that there was something rotten going on in that game too. Thing is, neither team should have to overcome those bad calls, the game should be decided by the players, not the officials. That was more like Wrestlemania than the Superbowl.

It was obvious in the Indy game that the plot line was going to be all warm and fuzzy about how the game's greatest QB was going to lead his team to the promised land and help his grieving coach to a title. That didn't work out, so the plot line became Bettis needing to end his career with a championship in his hometown. A Seattle victory wouldn't have delivered any feel good stories.

Listen, while I'm basking in glory right now let me set you straight. The officiating sucked. No doubt but did it cost Seattle the game? If you watched the game you would seen that Willie Parker's 75 yard run along with Randal El's pass to Hines Ward did more damage than the officiating. Heck Seattle got back into the game when it was 14-10 when Herron picked off Roethlisberger's pass near the end zone.

Then you had the Steelers eating the clock towards the end. But give credit to the Steelers defense for bending but not breaking. To hold a offensively potent Seahawks team to 10 points is an accomplish.

But to say the Steelers conspired with the refs? Now that is a sore loser.
    I don't think they were "conspiring" with the refs at all. The Steelers, to their own credit, took advantage of some extremely poor officiating and capitalized on the opportunities.

But you can't deny that the referees took at least 10 and possibly 14 points out of Seattle's pocket on nonsense pass interference and holding calls that are NOT enforced on every play -- not in the regular season, and not in this game.

And they handed Rothlisberger a charity touchdown -- special thanks to the side judge for waiting a good three seconds before deliving his delayed on-field ruling. Granted, the Steelers probably would still have come away with points, but might have settled for a field goal.

The game would have been much more interesting if the outcome had been decided by the two teams on the field.

BTW - I also think it's rich that Steeler fans are willing to make excuses for the refs in this situation after all the sour grapes over the Indy game. After that game, it was "the refs wanted Indy to win!" Now it's "we earned this victory!"
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-06-2006 at 09:44 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

You guys sound silly blaming the refs. It's like saying the refs cost Miami the 2002 national championship vs. Ohio State...yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Anyone notice Mick's little "self censoring" job during Start Me Up?
    For the record, that wasn't "self censoring".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11193993/

NEW YORK - They may not have flashed any body parts — except for Mick Jagger’s well-toned stomach — but the Rolling Stones made ABC glad editors were on duty for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Two sexually explicit lyrics were excised from the rock legends’ performance Sunday. The only song to avoid the editor was “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” a 41-year-old song about sexual frustration.

In “Start Me Up,” the show’s editors silenced one word, a reference to a woman’s sexual sway over a dead man. The lyrics for “Rough Justice” included a synonym for rooster that the network also deemed worth cutting out.

ABC was the first network to impose a five-second tape delay on the Super Bowl, although it said the changes to the Stones’ show were made by the NFL and its producers. The sensitivity no doubt reflects a lingering reaction to Janet Jackson’s infamous wardrobe malfunction two years ago.

The Stones probably didn’t mind, either. It brought a little rock ’n’ roll danger to the ultimate “safe” gig and — if they’re lucky — it distracted attention from their mediocre show.

Jagger, at age 62, is still a force of nature, strutting and dancing across a stage designed as a replica of their famed wagging tongue logo. The band’s performance felt ragged — they seemed just warming up during the opening “Start Me Up,” and a three-song set affords no such luxury.

The Stones chose three tough rockers, including the best song from their well-received recent album and one of their most enduring hits.

“Here’s one we could have done at Super Bowl I,” Jagger wryly said in introducing “Satisfaction.”

It was their best, most energetic effort, and ended with Jagger blowing a kiss to the audience. But unlike U2’s performance four years ago at the Super Bowl, their set was not an example of a band at its peak rising to the majesty of the event.

Some in Detroit felt the city’s rich musical history was snubbed when the Stones were selected, even if the Super Bowl had Motown-themed halftime shows twice in the past 25 years. This year’s Motown tribute came before the game.

Stevie Wonder was the centerpiece, singing a medley of his hits with the help of John Legend, Joss Stone and India.Arie.

It was a typical monument to excess, with a stage more crowded than a train station at rush hour, and was marred by microphones that occasionally malfunctioned. Brightly clad dancers hoofed it incongruously when Wonder sang a portion of his angry ghetto tale “Livin’ for the City,” at one point pretending to fight each other.

Most importantly, the medley format did a disservice to the musicians. They rushed through the songs as if at a fast-food service line. With hours of meaningless pregame hoopla, couldn’t they be given five minutes more to finish a few songs?

The National Anthem offered a particularly odd partnership — Aaron Neville and Dr. John (in a tribute to hurricane-ravaged New Orleans) with Detroit favorite Aretha Franklin. Neville sang half of the song in his feathery-soft voice, then was never heard from again when Franklin blew the dome’s roof off.

She barely needed a microphone.

Turn Off Ads?