Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 2006 Backup Firstbaseman.....

Our 2006 Backup Firstbaseman.....

"To make room for Alex Gonzalez on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox might release Roberto Petagine or sell him back to Japan.
    It's been obvious that the 34-year-old Petagine wasn't in Boston's plans, yet he still occupies a 40-man roster spot, denying him of the opportunity to find a team that might need a quality left-handed hitter. Of course, most of the league would have ignored him as much as Terry Francona did." Feb. 4 - 4:39 am et
    Source: Boston Globe

Anyone else think Roberto would look good coming off the bench and spot starting? He'd do quite well in GABP and wouldn't cost much (if anything) to get.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Our 2006 Backup Firstbaseman.....

im guessing it will prolly be frank menechino

I bet out backup 1B will be Aurilia and Valentin if Cruz or Zapp do not make the 25 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    im guessing it will prolly be frank menechino
    It won't be Menechino.

He's 5'8" or something like that.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It won't be Menechino.

If you add Menechino and Dunn's height together and divide it by 2, it comes out to 6'1. That's plenty tall enough!

It may have been because of his knees or other injuries, but Petagine looked as bad at 1st base as just about anyone I've ever seen, and I've seen Jeremy Giambi play 1st.

Actually, trading Casey and moving Dunn to 1b could create quite a domino effect. Valentin may be the best choice for backup 1b, however that creates a real need to carry a 3rd Catcher. This then means is that the Reds will probably not have to many roster spaces for pure extra OFs on the roster because the previous GM was in love with secondbaseman. Most likely, the Reds will carry only Cruz and Denoforia as extra OF and then Womack and Freel will also fill in in the OF.

Of course, a monster spring by Rob Stratton could make my above statement gibberish (or it could be gibberish on its own!).

If they carry Cruz he will probably back up at first.

I would love for Rob Stratton to make a push to the big club this season. But he will have to be even better than he was last spring to do that. Denorfia should have a guaranteed spot. Cruz is a great pinch hitter and a LH bat, so it may be no shot whatsoever for Stratton. Especially considering him not making the club after the huge spring he had last season.

got alil captain in u?

you are prolly right it will we cruz backing up first don't kno what i was thinking valentin can fill in 2

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It won't be Menechino.

Menechino standing on Ryan Freel's shoulders?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    Menechino standing on Ryan Freel's shoulders?
    That would give you the approximate range of Rich Aurillia.

GL

at Tixe and Gonelong.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I would love for Rob Stratton to make a push to the big club this season. But he will have to be even better than he was last spring to do that. Denorfia should have a guaranteed spot. Cruz is a great pinch hitter and a LH bat, so it may be no shot whatsoever for Stratton. Especially considering him not making the club after the huge spring he had last season.
    Stratton is going to have to do more than hit. He is probably going to have to show that he can pinch hit in certain situations and not be too much of a liability in the field. Donoforia probably won't make the 25 man out of ST but will be first up if any of the OF go down.

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    Actually, trading Casey and moving Dunn to 1b could create quite a domino effect. Valentin may be the best choice for backup 1b, however that creates a real need to carry a 3rd Catcher. This then means is that the Reds will probably not have to many roster spaces for pure extra OFs on the roster because the previous GM was in love with secondbaseman. Most likely, the Reds will carry only Cruz and Denoforia as extra OF and then Womack and Freel will also fill in in the OF.

Of course, a monster spring by Rob Stratton could make my above statement gibberish (or it could be gibberish on its own!).
    I'm sure there will be no need for a 3rd catcher. Even if the hypothetical situation arises where we'd need a 3rd catcher on the team, i would imagine they would stick Freel behind the plate since they had him practice there some last year. Just a thought. Rob Stratton wasn't even given an invite to spring training as a non-roster player, so that tells me he has 0 chance of making the big squad, but i could be wrong.

Turn Off Ads?