Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I was blocked into him

Re: "I was blocked into him

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I love Marvin, but this is a ridiculous statement. While it is impossible to determine motives, I know Marvin is a few years older than me and Jack Tatum probably made a couple of plays a game where he was hoping to take a guy's head off. What about some of the oldtimers? Butkus? Never tried to hurt someone on purpose? Let's just say the BS meter's red siren is going off.
    I think Buddy Ryan would agree with your post.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Go Reds!!!

I believe Marvin resents what happens and deep down it bothers him, but as a coach and a face for the team, he really couldnt come out and say it, i think the press conference after the game when he was so mad, was his true feelings but he is trying to get the team to move on.

I think the "it costs us being in the SB" statement is a little too much.

Bengal fan since 1974.....even i know that this defense was no better than 1 win. They would have never survived DEN or INDY, IMO.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    I think the "it costs us being in the SB" statement is a little too much.

Bengal fan since 1974.....even i know that this defense was no better than 1 win. They would have never survived DEN or INDY, IMO.
    It is safe to say it stole any chance, though. The D might have hit another turnover hot streak, you just never know.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    It is safe to say it stole any chance, though. The D might have hit another turnover hot streak, you just never know.
    What still gets in my crawl is the Steelers fans around here saying that not having Carson in the game really made no difference...the result would have been the same.

R U kidding me?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I think it would have made a difference....a different score, but the same team would have won. The Bengals simply didnt have a championship defense, or one close enough to it. Fix that, and the Bengals are a flipping great team.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I think it would have made a difference....a different score, but the same team would have won. The Bengals simply didnt have a championship defense, or one close enough to it. Fix that, and the Bengals are a flipping great team.
    If you'd have told me, going into the game, that the Steelers would score 31, I'd have said, "I like the Bengals' chances." Cripe, we scored 38 on you guys @ Pittsburgh.

Carson was 1 for 1 for 66 yards already.

He'd have gotten the boys into the endzone on that opening drive. That'd give us at least 20 in the first half alone.

The team was demoralized when CP went down...that had a huge effect. Plus it's a WHOLE LOT easier to defend Kitna than it is Palmer. Not sayin' a Bengals win would have been a slam dunk...but I liked our chances with CP in the game.

Even if BR goes down..... i would still be scared of Maddox, with this defense.

I mean....take out even half the TO's and this defense is just so prone giving up 3rd and long conversions. They overpursue.... and even on blitzes they seem to get blocked before anyone can touch the QB.

It amazes me the DL can do so much for PITT defense ..... but could do nothing with CIN defense, even during the middle to late 80's.

I think it shows how much better PITT scouting is. Even though both teams suffered from the small market problem of before/after FA. PITT actually hired scouts and people who know what they are doing...so that when they blew off FA...they could have ready replacements from the draft. Their after 3rd round picks starting when Cowher took over are what the bengals could never do. Since MB was too beyond DO incompetence to figure out that having your coaches do everything just did not work anymore.. they fell behind the curve of developing starters and depth.

The Bengals still have 4 less scouts than PITT now. That MB still has not learned from the way PITT does things...scares me. I still fear MB and his stubborn ways. I fear he will not let ML finish what he started and stunt the growth of this team. So when i hear about how Palmer and his gang have a long future ahead of them.... i do not buy it yet. This org. has too long a history of sabotaging itself.

I'm as scared about the Bengals d as anybody, but Maddox doesn't put any fear into me. He was a prototype NFC North QB this year when Ben was out. The Bengals d would have feasted on him.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    The Bengals defense was good enough to beat the steelers in Pittsburg a few weeks before.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

31 points even after getting 3 turnovers, your point is well taken. However, the Bengals have to make the D better.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    If you'd have told me, going into the game, that the Steelers would score 31, I'd have said, "I like the Bengals' chances." Cripe, we scored 38 on you guys @ Pittsburgh.
    But they lost to Pitt at home.

But as already mentioned - I don't think the Bengal's "D" (or lack thereof) would have allowed then to escape Indy. Your only hope was that somehow/someway they returned to the form they showed during he first half of the season. But their "D" was atrocious in the second half.

And those losses at season's end didn;t help to boost their spirits either. Made people have alot of doubts.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Even if the Bengals would have gotten past Pittsburgh with a healthy Carson Palmer, no way their defense stops the Colts.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Even if the Bengals would have gotten past Pittsburgh with a healthy Carson Palmer, no way their defense stops the Colts.
    They wouldn't have had to face the Colts necessarily. The Bengals would have travelled to Denver to face the Broncos while the Colts would have hosted the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232
    They wouldn't have had to face the Colts necessarily. The Bengals would have travelled to Denver to face the Broncos while the Colts would have hosted the Patriots.
    So the Broncos would have made the super bowl?

Turn Off Ads?