Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What players on other MLB teams do you love to hate?

Re: What players on other MLB teams do you love to hate?

Edmonds (Hot Dog)
    Farnsworth (fight with Paul Wilson)
    Bonds (disgrace to baseball)
    McGwire (same, and for butt-grabbing Sosa in HR chase)
    Sosa (same, and for butt-grabbing McGwire)
    Palmiero (disgrace)
    All the Boones post-Ray (all egomaniacs)
    Graves (shouldn't be in majors, pocket poison)
    Manny Ramirez (selfish)
    Matt Morris (ain't as good as he thinks he is, hates Reds)
    Manager: LaRussa (hates Reds)
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Out of curiosity, why Maddux. Personally, other than mouthing an occasional "F" bomb after giving up a dinger, I've always found "The Professor" to be one of the classiest players playing today. You never hear of him talking smack, I've never seen him intentionally throw at a batter, and the guy is a workhorse who just goes out there every time and gives it all he has.
    I sat two seats down from him at the bar at the Hyatt a few years ago when the Braves were in town, he was the nicest guy. He sat down, ordered a beer, and talked a complete stranger about golf for the longest time. I was really impressed with him.

But Krono, I totally understand what you mean about the outside corner thing. He could get strikes called for balls that looked like they were half way to the dugout!

I'm amazed at how many of you don't like Schilling or Clemens. Several of you have explained why you dislike Schilling (which I still don't fully understand--dude's a gamer). But why do you not like Clemens?

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I'm amazed at how many of you don't like Schilling or Clemens. Several of you have explained why you dislike Schilling (which I still don't fully understand--dude's a gamer). But why do you not like Clemens?
    Schilling is, as many people have put so well, holier-than-thou. He has publicly put down his teammates but has no problem accepting as much adulation as humanly possible. He runs his mouth on things about which he is not terribly well-educated. There was a period in time where it seemed like there wasn't an issue on earth about which Schilling didn't have an opinion. I don't begrudge him his opinions or his right to voice them, but I'm human, and add to the fact that I personally don't agree with a lot of what he says, and it's grating.

Clemens I see as having kind of a mercenary mentality. He's a selfish egomaniac and I don't see that he ever thinks of his team before or even equal to himself. Dude showed up in a Yankees jersey in the Red Sox clubhouse. Read that sentence again. I see the entire world through navy pinstripes and I still think that's despicable. Then he's retiring. Then he's not retiring. Then he's retiring. Then he'll play, but only if the Astros conform to his conditions. Make up your mind, Rog. It's easier if you think of people other than yourself.

I have huge respect for what both of these men have done as pitchers. They are amazing, among the best of their generation, and you'd better believe that when Clemens was in New York I revelled in every one of his successes. I try not to hold players' personalities against them on the field; it just means that neither of these guys are people with whom I'd choose to have a beer. (well, that's a lie. If they paid for the drinks and told me good stories, I'd be game. But I wouldn't totally enjoy it, and I would probably say mean things about them afterwards.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

double post, sorry
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 02-08-2006 at 12:03 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?