Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How Long Will It Take To Resurrect This Franchise?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • One Year. Bob Castellini is the small market version of George Steinbrenner

9 7.38%
  • Two Years. 2006-2007 free agent crop will bolster the club

31 25.41%
  • Three Years. The farm system will finally start bearing fruit

44 36.07%
  • Four Years. Rebuilding the organization will take more time than Castellini figured.

38 31.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long Will It Take

How Long Will It Take

How long will it take for Bob Castellini to resurrect this franchise back to its winning ways?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Long Will It Take

Depends who he hires as GM and if he lets said GM do his job without being overridden by other noisy people in the FO.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Depends who he hires as GM and if he lets said GM do his job without being overridden by other noisy people in the FO.
    From what I have read and heard, it seems who he hires as a GM better know how to rebuild a farm system and wheel and deal at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    From what I have read and heard, it seems who he hires as a GM better know how to rebuild a farm system and wheel and deal at the same time.
    That's pretty much what the GM position entails (as opposed to O'Brien's vision of rebuilding the Reds by participating in the very same draft as every other major league team and sitting on his hands the rest of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    That's pretty much what the GM position entails (as opposed to O'Brien's vision of rebuilding the Reds by participating in the very same draft as every other major league team and sitting on his hands the rest of the time).
    Hee.

That's an extremely quality 4000th post. Props, boss-hog, and thanks for the fine site.

I went with four years, because I presume the question is about playoffs, and it's going to take that long. But I think this team will get interesting and competitive again far before that.

It's all depends on your definition of ressurect.

Mine is making the play-offs.

So I went with four years.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Depends on whether he listens to the fans or not.

We have the offense. The answer to the question of "how long will it take?" is found in the pitching. If we take the road to develop it, then it will obviously take longer. Going out and acquiring it, would take less.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-05-2006 at 08:49 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Agreed...what about a new concept...a GM who simply works on the MLB roster and then a Scouting Director/GM type who works only on the Minor League System...they communicate with one another and determine what pieces and parts they can move to get the best talent for the current roster and building the system...maybe that is how it is already done...maybe this is n't a very good idea.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

/\
    Sounds like a good idea to me, but you need 2 guys who are on the same page and who won't try and stab the other in the back
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Agreed...what about a new concept...a GM who simply works on the MLB roster and then a Scouting Director/GM type who works only on the Minor League System...they communicate with one another and determine what pieces and parts they can move to get the best talent for the current roster and building the system...maybe that is how it is already done...maybe this is n't a very good idea.
    As I mentioned before, maybe that will be the role Castanelli gives Jim Beattie if he doesn't get the GM job. Essentially, he replaces Dean Taylor as assistant GM but would oversee the development of the farm system while the GM concentrates on the major league roster.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

If we are lucky, then Homer Bailey will be making an impact in about 4 years.

The rest of the farm system is filled with blah for the most part.

I picked 4 years.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    If we are lucky, then Homer Bailey will be making an impact in about 4 years.

The rest of the farm system is filled with blah for the most part.

I picked 4 years.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Bailey start at Double A Chatanooga.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I am all for it, but...

Lets just say he blows through AA this year, and AAA next year. I still think he would be about a year and a half or so before he makes an impact with the Reds. That is why I said about 4 years. That is only one player. Who else in the Reds ML system is going to be ready in that time? Not many, unless we are lucky.

I am hoping that Jay Bruce will proceed nicely, but I don't know much about him.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I am all for it, but...

Lets just say he blows through AA this year, and AAA next year. I still think he would be about a year and a half or so before he makes an impact with the Reds. That is why I said about 4 years. That is only one player. Who else in the Reds ML system is going to be ready in that time? Not many, unless we are lucky.

I am hoping that Jay Bruce will proceed nicely, but I don't know much about him.
    If Bailey does start out at Chatanooga and pitches impressively, he might move up to Louisville and maybe to the Reds come September. Look at OF Chris Denorfia. He started at Chatanooga and was moved up to Louisville before coming to the Reds in September. You have to be careful about rushing pitchers but if Bailey pitches impressively, why hold him back?

Whoa now...rushing young pitchers is a bad idea.

High A..then AA..
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?