Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver

Insider lists Reds as an interested team with a question mark. Makes a little sense with Castellini taking over to try to make a splash but Boras client and at least a milton type contract unless a one year deal. I liked him but he probably wouldn't be a great fit considering he gave up 35 HR with half his games at Dodger Stadium. If he returned to his Tiger form (even though that too was a pitcher's park) then he'd be pretty decent but I think I would balk personally unless a short deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Weaver

Milton and Weaver pitching at GAB.... fans in the Moondeck will have a better chance of dodging rain drops then Hr balls.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

There was a note on the other board about reports of Weaver going to the Angels. I hope it's true.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I just have one thing to say about a team like the Reds getting Weaver

VALUE OVER REPLACEMENT PLAYER
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Yeeee---IKES!!!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Let me preface this by saying that I don't think Weaver is a good fit here either. His propensity to give up the long ball scares me away. Other than his horrid stint with the Yankees however his numbers look pretty consistent even if they aren't spectacular. His numbers last year look very similar to Aaron Harang's numbers and career-wise they are similar as well in things such as K/9, K/BB ratio, Batting Average Against, OBP, SLG, and OPS.

I just find it funny that so many here laugh him off as if what we are gonna throw out there every day is superior. I agree he doesn't do enough above the norm to justify the money he would cost but let's not pretend like there's anything better already here.

A one year deal at the right price would not be a bad thing for the Reds, but I would have to question Weaver's willingness to put his search for a long term contract in the confines of Great American Ballpark.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

If we are talking about Weaver vs. say, Paul Wilson, I would rather have Weaver.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    A one year deal at the right price would not be a bad thing for the Reds...
    Especially if you can cash him in for some prospects at the trading deadline.

I don't think it would be a bad pickup at all. He's better than most of the guys in our rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    If we are talking about Weaver vs. say, Paul Wilson, I would rather have Weaver.

Just sayin'.
    That's like choosing between diarrhea and constipation.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

stay away...stay far away....
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    That's like choosing between diarrhea and constipation.
    At my age, those aren't choices, but givens.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I don't see why the Reds would waste their time. In a different ballpark, Weaver can be an above-average hurler, but there's little doubt in my mind that Weaver and Milton would be in a dogfight of epic proportions to see who can cough up the most longballs on the team next season.

This is exactly the type of pitcher the Reds should be avoiding, regardless of the deal being offered. He's not the missing piece to a championship puzzle, he's not the long-awaited ace that would anchor our rotation, and he's not the verteran Maddux-esque leader who can guide our inexperienced but talent-laden rotation. Weaver would be nothing more than another Wilson, Milton, Ortiz, Hamilton, Haynes or Dessens--rotation filler that adds nothing to the team and provides no long-term benefit.

It befuddles me why the Reds consistently pursue players like this, knowing full well what the returns will be.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

The Reds go after the best they can, unfortunately it's all junk ballers, they should save their cash but they feel they owe it to the fans to try and sign people..even if they are junk.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I don't see why the Reds would waste their time. In a different ballpark, Weaver can be an above-average hurler, but there's little doubt in my mind that Weaver and Milton would be in a dogfight of epic proportions to see who can cough up the most longballs on the team next season.

This is exactly the type of pitcher the Reds should be avoiding, regardless of the deal being offered. He's not the missing piece to a championship puzzle, he's not the long-awaited ace that would anchor our rotation, and he's not the verteran Maddux-esque leader who can guide our inexperienced but talent-laden rotation. Weaver would be nothing more than another Wilson, Milton, Ortiz, Hamilton, Haynes or Dessens--rotation filler that adds nothing to the team and provides no long-term benefit.

It befuddles me why the Reds consistently pursue players like this, knowing full well what the returns will be.
    Dysfunction.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?