Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about Rookies

Question about Rookies

Does anyone know of the Rookies who will make a big impact this coming season? Just wondering who you guys think have a good shot at Rookie of the Year? Cant miss type of guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Question about Rookies

In the AL - Daric Barton with the A's & Ande Marte with the Indians aren't bad choices. Francisco Liriano will make the Giants look foolish every fifth day for the Twins. I wouldn't count out the Tigers doing something stupid and push Justin Verlander into the rotation. Delmon Young & BJ Upton could be in the mix as well for Tampa. The Angels have about a bazillion middle infielders & bats that if traded could start elsewhere. I'm sure someone else who watches the AL on a more regular basis could fill in some gaps I've left out there.

In the NL - Anthony Reyes, if he makes the Rotation out of spring training, could be nasty for the Cardinals. Matt Cain is another arm for the Giants worth watching. Ryan Shealy, if he can learn how to play the OF, could be another big bat in Colorado. AZ will have at least two rookies playing every day, Conor Jackson & Chris Young, and possibly Stephen Drew as well. The Marlins have nearly a whole team of noobs, the best of the bunch is Jermey Hermida, Scott Olson & Josh Willingham. Ryan Zimmerman will get exposed at the plate this go 'round but the Nats traded Vinnie Castilla to give him time so they think he's got something. Prince Fielder in Milwaukee is someone to watch as well. Ronny Cedeno will be the Cubs opening day SS and they've been touting him for a while now. Adrian Gonzalez could also be in the mix if he can make the Pads starting 1B job, although I'm not sure if he still qualifies as a rookie anymore after playing yo-yo man as Teixeria's back up on the Rangers.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-06-2006 at 03:26 AM.

Thx, I like seeing what the young guys can do.

Hermida put up some crazy good numbers in the minors and during his late-season callup last year. He looks like the real deal.

Prince Fielder will do some damage to ballparks, locker room chairs, and buffet tables all across the NL.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Prince Fielder will do some damage to ballparks, locker room chairs, and buffet tables all across the NL.
    His father has been training him to follow him in his footsteps since age 2: BP in the backyard every day, dinner at Shoneys every night.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Qualifications for Rookie of the Year:
    For hitters, a player will be considered a rookie if he had less than 130 at-bats in any previous season. For pitchers, if they haven't pitched more than 50 innings in a previous season, they are considered rookies. Also, if any player spent more than 45 days on a team's active roster, they cannot be considered a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He's definitely my vote.

Turn Off Ads?