Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UC fraternity among those giving up alcohol

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: UC fraternity among those giving up alcohol

I can assure you all of one thing: my chapter of Phi Delta Theta at Ohio University has not given up alcohol.

And while it's quite true that PDT bans alcohol in houses, it's also true that every PDT chapter I've ever heard of has one or more off-campus "annexes" where alcohol is quite emphatically not banned.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I can assure you all of one thing: my chapter of Phi Delta Theta at Ohio University has not given up alcohol.

And while it's quite true that PDT bans alcohol in houses, it's also true that every PDT chapter I've ever heard of has one or more off-campus "annexes" where alcohol is quite emphatically not banned.
    And if something hapens at these annexes?

PDT will be in just as deep if it had happened in the house.

I'm not against alcohol. I certainly had my share in my time, What bothers me is when a fraternity or the business club for that matter, which has no mention of alchol in its set of ideals and purpose becomes a drinking club with funny shaped letters on the outside. (Of course this is not directed at you or your chapter, Doc.)
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Hey, Doc. I replied to your PM before I read your post. Ohio U. huh? Cool.

I'm also in college and I don't drink to be cool. I drink to have fun and relax.
    I don't drink to be cool, either. I drink to quiet down the voices in my head.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    And if something hapens at these annexes?

PDT will be in just as deep if it had happened in the house.

I'm not against alcohol. I certainly had my share in my time, What bothers me is when a fraternity or the business club for that matter, which has no mention of alchol in its set of ideals and purpose becomes a drinking club with funny shaped letters on the outside. (Of course this is not directed at you or your chapter, Doc.)
    I'm not trying to defend the concept. Just stating the truth. It was what it was and is what it is. Where I come from, Greek organizations are a way for under-21s to get easy access to a built-in Network of Sinful Vices and get out of a two-year dorm residency requirement. I personally didn't fall in to that category, not joining until my junior year and only then because several of my closest friends were already members, but that's why 95% of OU students that join do it. (Especially in the past five years since OU has dramatically clamped down on Halloween guests and there's no underage-serving bar left.) Membership there is only around 15-20%, so it doesn't run campus life like it does/did at Miami or Bowling Green.

I do know that the insurance premiums each chapter has to pay its HQ are going through the roof. It's one reason why Greek organizations cost so much in dues.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    No frats allowed at my school...... good times.
    Me too, and that's a primary reason why I chose it. Plenty of drinking and co-ed dorms, but with everyone on an equal footing. If you squinted and tilted your head to the left it looked a little like a commune (i'm halfway inspired to use an emoticon here but will refrain.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    And I have really never understood why people drink at baseball games. Are you there to watch the game or get drunk?
    Well, you can have a couple of beers and not get drunk. I find the taste of a beer on a hot day very refreshing. Also relieves a little bit of nerves, and cools down the throat from yelling too. (This makes me sound like a real picnic at ballgames, I swear I'm not obnoxious. I like a nice beer though.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

If you squinted and tilted your head to the left it looked a little like a commune
    Mine looked like Tuscany if you did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool

I don't drink to be cool, either. I drink to quiet down the voices in my head.

Damn right.

Shut up!!

You shut up!!!

Dork.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Thats good, because I tell me guys, I have no use for frat guys, we are Fraternity Men.

I stole that from a woman we have come in and speak and conventions on how to treat women in your life (not just girlfriends, wives but your mom, co-worker, etc) and such. Her line is always "Ihave no use for Frat Boys, I am only interested in Fraternity men."

As for joing a fraternity to pool beer money - I never had a problem finding a drink or a party before I joined, so it was never a reason for me.

That may be your motto, but that's certainly not what I've seen from the frats in my experience. There aren't many out there anymore that can claim to be "gentlemen".
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-09-2006 at 05:21 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Theta Chi at Kent State.

Joining a fraternity was a great way for a shy person like myself to meet people, network, and break out of his shell. I was in school when the transition to dry campuses was just starting (late '80s-early '90s). When I started, everyone had keg parties. By the time I graduated, fraternities couldn't even have a common beer fund. Yet, it appeared that alcohol-related incidents seemed to increase. Everytime they tightened the rules, it seemed to drive the drinking underground. People would drink harder stuff to get drunk faster...less beer, more MD 20/20, jello shots, tequila shooters and the like. It wasn't unique to the Greek set either. I knew of way more alcohol-related problems going on in the dorms and the apartments than at the fraternity houses. By senior year, we couldn't have open parties with alcohol at the fraternity house, but at German Club meetings, held at the Ratskeller in the basement of the Student Center, I could buy beer by the pitcher on my food card.

Personally I think it's wrong-headed. By imposing more rules on college students regarding social behavior, it just results in infantilization of people who should be acting like adults. If they want college students to act responsibly, they should give them responsibility.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    That may be your motto, but that's certainly not what I've seen from the frats in my experience. There aren't many out there anymore that can claim to be "gentlemen".
    Your dead on right. Its not common and its unfortunate. With increased attention, insurance rates, etc, I think the animal house image of fraternities will start to collapse under its own dead weight.

I was lucky in the sense that I was a faounding father of my chapter. We chose the group to affiliate with based on the ideals they presented. We set from the beginning a set of expectations. Of course, its has not always been followed, there are bumps and lumps along the way. Howevere, because the tone was set early and good people (far better than I) have stayed involved with mentoring the group, as a whole, they have stayed quite true to the mission.

There are people fighting to bring sanity back to it all, its a tiring fight though most of the time. I'm just not ready to give up on it.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

One thing I will say, the friendships and even casual acquaintences I made during my brief time in Phi Delta Theta are enduring. I met some truly great people there -- people I never would have met if I hadn't joined the fraternity.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?