Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Centerfielder??

Defensive Centerfielder??

Who is our best defensive centerfielder?

Freel, Denorfia, Griffey, Wily Mo, or Kearns?

I'd say it has to be Freel. Right?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Defensive Centerfielder??

I'd say without a doubt it would be Freel but of course he is the most injury prone. I'd stick him out there and let him take his chances.

I'm still not convinced that a really in shape Austin Kearns wouldn't be the Reds best option in CF. I'm just not confident that that player is ever going to exist, at least to the extent required to be a good CF.

Other than that, I'm all for putting WMP there if he can't be traded. I'd put Kearns in RF and Griffey in LF. I see no reason to contuniue with Griffey in CF. We know how that's going to end up IMO, and there really isn't an upside.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think if Wily Mo had ever had the chance to play everyday in the minors he could have been a rather good CF or at least a real good corner OF, but since things unfolded the way they did......well you know how soon he will be winning a gold glove.

Freel is intriguing in CF though. But not at the expense of playing RA everyday at 2B and letting WMP waste away. If we can't trade WMP, he has to play everyday IMO. The upside of WMP, no matter how unlikely to be realized, is too tantalizing to not take a chance on IMO. He's the kind of guy who could really help change the Reds fortunes quickly if it finally clicked, not that I'm confident that it ever will.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I think if Wily Mo had ever had the chance to play everyday in the minors he could have been a rather good CF or at least a real good corner OF, but since things unfolded the way they did......well you know how soon he will be winning a gold glove.
    But he did have the chance. He played in the minors about 3-4 years and I'm sure that his instruction didn't stop once he made it to the major leagues. But he could be playing in the minor leagues for 10 years and that wouldn't necessarily make him a better outfielder. A lot of it is instincts and that is something you can't teach. Sometimes you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

If Jearns is healthy and not fat, plays there regularly, he probably is.

Griffey should be on a corner or at 1b.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

From the looks of those recent pictures, Kearns seems to have shed some weight.

If that's truly the case, he'll be the best defensive player the Reds have.

Let's just hope he can regain his stroke. He had 48 walks in 387 AB's, sees alot of pitches and really grinds at the plate, fouling off pitches, and taking the ones that are tough to take.....But is his power gone because of injury? Everyone says he's healthy, so if we can believe that, we'll see him hit enough to justify his playing time, which will help the club offensively.

I've got a good feeling about Austin. He seems to have put the family affairs of last season to bed, and there will be no Dan O'Brien to mess with his head.

He's my pick to take his game to a higher level.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Denorfia
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Denorfia
    I like Kearns' arm. Denorfia's got him in the range department, but Kearns' arm and polish puts him ahead of Deno in my mind.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Denorfia
    I haven't gotten to see enough of him yet. How does Denorfia stack up against Freel? What kind of defensive reputation did Denorfia earn in the minors?

Denorfia
    Probably right, although I really haven't seen him play that much. It's just more an assumption on my part that he'd have to be, look at the competition.

I left him off b/c until the Reds trade someone or have bigtime injuries, I don't figure Denorfria to actually play everyday. BP's pecota does have him getting 500+ ab's though, but with a vorp little over replacement level.

If Kearns became a decent CF it would really increase his value as a player.

What, no votes for Cruz?

OK, put me in the Kearns camp, if he actually got the chance to play there everyday I think he'd become a fine CF.

got alil captain in u?

kearns can be a fine center fielder freel is just nuts and well dive into wall jump into them do watever it takes denorfia is a good young outfielder

Turn Off Ads?