Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your call

Your call

There have been a number of bad calls in the history of sport which have stood up and were not overturned, even if it was fairly obvious that the refs/umpires got the call wrong. I figured this thread would spark good conversation about such a topic.

Two questions.

If you could change any one call in Red's baseball history, which call would it be?

Also, in all of sports, if you could correct an incorrect call that stood up in the history of sports, what would it be?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your call

iI'm still trying to think of a Red's call to overturn.

Here is my all of sports call:

1979: Charles White's fumble

USC led Michigan 7-3 in the Rose Bowl when Charles White dove through the line from the three-yard line. White lost the ball and it was recovered by Michigan. But the line judge determined White had crossed the goal line. USC won 17-10 and shared the national championship.

I had just turned 7 years old and was really starting to enjoy watching football. I had become a UM fan that year because my Dad always rooted for OSU and it made it more fun to watch the game and root against "his" team in the big game. The loss by UM in the Rose Bowl should have never happened.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    There have been a number of bad calls in the history of sport which have stood up and were not overturned, even if it was fairly obvious that the refs/umpires got the call wrong. I figured this thread would spark good conversation about such a topic.

Two questions.

If you could change any one call in Red's baseball history, which call would it be?
    70 World Series. Need I say more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Chip's is a good nominee. Let me also add Frank Pulli's blown call on Dave Collins' catch in Game 2 of the 1979 NLCS. Pulli said he trapped it, which he didn't. That allowed a run to score that shouldn't have, and the Pirates ended up winning that game something like 2-1. (Didn't it go extra innings?) With a win in that game, the series is tied 1-1 and the Reds have a shot.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

The Eric Davis first he's safe, nope, now he's out at home call sticks in my memory.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The 1970 WS call by Ken Burkhart to call out Bernie Carbo at the plate.

The out call by Denkinger in the 1985 WS that kept the Royals alive and eventually helped them win the WS. I was rooting for the Royals but that was just a horrid call and he should have been fired after that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

My memory's getting hazy. Which game of the '79 NLCS was it where the umps ruled Dave Collins trapped a ball he clearly caught. All I really recall of the play is my disgust. In fact, losing to the Pirates left me thoroughly disgusted. Until that point in time I took it for granted that the Reds owned those guys.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Which game of the '79 NLCS was it where the umps ruled Dave Collins trapped a ball he clearly caught.
    The one I was at.

Game One played on Tuesday, October 2, 1979

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The one I was at.

Game One played on Tuesday, October 2, 1979
    It's coming back to me now. Dave Parker in the 11th, right? The Reds came unglued after that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It's coming back to me now. Dave Parker in the 11th, right? The Reds came unglued after that.
    PIRATES 11TH: Foli singled; ALEXANDER RAN FOR FOLI; Parker
    singled [Alexander to second]; Stargell homered [Alexander
    scored, Parker scored]; Milner grounded out (second to first);
    Madlock singled; TOMLIN REPLACED HUME (PITCHING); Madlock stole
    second; Ott struck out; Garner was walked intentionally; Jackson
    made an out to pitcher; 3 R, 4 H, 0 E, 2 LOB. Pirates 5, Reds 2.

REDS 11TH: B. ROBINSON REPLACED ALEXANDER (PLAYING LF); STENNETT
    REPLACED MILNER (PLAYING 2B); GARNER CHANGED POSITIONS (PLAYING
    SS); Collins grounded out (second to first); Morgan made an out
    to right; Concepcion singled; Foster walked [Concepcion to
    second]; D. ROBINSON REPLACED JACKSON (PITCHING); Bench walked
    [Concepcion to third, Foster to second]; Knight struck out
    (catcher to first); 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 3 LOB. Pirates 5, Reds 2.

For some reason I don't have much recall of the 79 NLCS. They must have been on during the day. I do have some hazy recollections of one of the games that was on after I got home from school but that's about it. I also have no recollection of the 76 series although I may have been grounded from watching TV then.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think all three games of the 1979 NLCS were on during the day.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

The Dave Pallone call at 1st base that caused Pete to go berserk and shove him. Nick Esasky had a long stretch and Pallone ruled he came off of the bag. The bad part of the call was that he stood and thought about it and waited to make the call, allowing the go-ahead run to score. Pete came out to argue and everything broke lose. I was at that game and it was the craziest Reds game I have ever been at. Not only did the shove happen in that game but there was also a fight. Browning drilled Teufel in the back and and the benches cleared. IIRC, Tuefel homered off of Browning (Tuefel always seemed to own Browning) and it was obvious that Browning drilled him on purpose. I remember Strawberry bolting from the dugout and Lloyd McClendon coming from behind the plate in his catchers gear and giving Strawberry a forearm shiver.

Second craziest game I ever went to was the game where Ray Knight punched Eric Davis. A book could be written on that one game alone.

Worst call in other sports? Easy. I'm a Raiders fan so I could pick several but I will go with the absolute worst. Two words.. Tuck Rule. 'Nuff said.
    Last edited by HalMorrisRules; 02-06-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    70 World Series. Need I say more?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Last night's offensive pass interference call. Need I say more?

And speaking of Frank Pulli, he was the one who ruled that the Jeffrey Mayer incident was a home run. I was living in NoVa at the time and I heard the call by Jon Miller on the Orioles network. Jon Miller got the call right from 400 feet away as it was happening in live action. Frank Pulli was about ten feet away and he couldn't call it right. He was afraid of what the Yankee Stadium crowd would do if he had called fan interference; not to mention that the 12-year-old could have been removed from the stadium and then prosecuted.

And how about Colorado's fifth-down TD run?

Turn Off Ads?