Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your call

Re: Your call

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I think all three games of the 1979 NLCS were on during the day.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the game that is in question was on at night. In fact I believe the first two games were on at night but the 3rd game was on a Sunday and was on during the day. I remember because I refused to watch it because I knew the Reds were done for so I went outside and played instead...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    I'm not 100% sure but I believe the game that is in question was on at night. In fact I believe the first two games were on at night but the 3rd game was on a Sunday and was on during the day. I remember because I refused to watch it because I knew the Reds were done for so I went outside and played instead...
    Game one was at night.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Game one was at night.
    Unfortunately, I remember that one as well, and was actually the first game I thought of when I read the title of this thread. The second one that came to mind was the Pallone/Rose game, in which the scab waited until after the tying run had scored before making the incorrect call. I didn't know that Rose had bumped him until the next day, but I was spittin' mad at the call. McCarver (I believe) even had Pete's back on that one.
    PDM

Two Reds calls I'd like reversed:

- Dick Sisler naming John Tsitouris as starter for the last game of the season in 1964. The Reds win, they win the pennant. Tsitouris gets hammered and Reds lost 10-0. Sisler should have used Jim O'Toole.
    - Jack McKeon naming Steve Parris as starter for the playoff (or play-in) game in 1999. Parris doesn't have it that day, the Reds lose 5-0. IIRC, Denny Neagle was also available. Although, the way Al Leiter pitched, the Reds could have gone 100 innings and never scored off him.

And the all-time call I'd like to have back is Brian Sipe's interception on the infamous Red Right 88 play in a 1981 Browns-Raiders playoff game.

Pay attention to the open sky

The Giants and the 49ers when the Giants botched the snap and then the refs missed the pass interference call that woulda given the Giants another chance, and this time it would have been a chip shot (although who knows if they would of been able to snap the freakin ball).

As for the Reds, the Reds Mets game where Rose went beserek - cause I lived in NY and hung out with Mets fans - is the one that really sticks out.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

How about 1991 Twins/Braves Ron Gant getting pulled off the base by Kent Hrbek? Didn't care about the call really, but I met Drew Coble (who made the call) when I was about 11 and I knew he made the call 4 years before that. We were at the same hotel so I went up and asked him if he was the one who made the call, and he and his family started laughing, and he asked "who put you up to this?" thinking no 11 year old knew who he was, or that he made that call when I was only 7 years old. He was a good sport about it, but I'm guessing he got a lot of crap for that call.

Man Pills

I'd like to mention the 35 "home run" calls made by various umpires around the league in 2005 after those long fly balls surrendered by Eric Milton.

Terrible calls, each one.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    How about 1991 Twins/Braves Ron Gant getting pulled off the base by Kent Hrbek?
    That was brilliant salesmanship on Hrbek's part. He shielded the ump and made it look like Gant stumbled off the base. Coupled with the deke play on Lonnie Smith, the Twins deserved an Oscar for that Series.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Carbo - 70
    Enough said.

The 2003 Florida/fsu game..first football game ever I am convinced was fixed.

about 6 blown calls, and blown so ridiculously that it was obvious what was going on.
    Go Gators!

Reds call: 1970. That call goes the right way, the Reds have a chance.

All of sports: The non-call in 1992. Laettner stomps Timberlake, no call. Should have been automatic ejection.

Laettner is a pud.

Always will be.

Became major Duke hater after that one. (Respect their talent. Hate the smug attitude, the smarter-than-thou fans, and the Dookie V/ ESPN love. And don't get me started on the commericals.)

Turn Off Ads?