Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: your favorite sports teams...

your favorite sports teams...

I know we're all Reds fans here, but one of the other threads got me interested in finding out where everyone's allegiance is when it comes to other sports.

I'm always interested to find out who your teams are and how they became your favorites (btw, I'm defining this by what teams are you passionate about. If you just kinda like other teams, that doesn't count...I'm talking about the teams you follow very closely).

Here are mine:

MLB: Reds. Obviously. Grew up in Cincinnati (Western Hills) during the BRM era.
    NFL: Bengals. Again, I'm a Cincy boy, who else am I going to root for.
    NBA: Don't care. I live close to Cleveland now so I do have a tiny bit of interest in the Cavs, but I'm far from passionate about them.
    NHL: Lived in Columbus when the Blue Jackets started. I like 'em but I don't follow them closely. Other than the CBJ, I don't pay the NHL much attention.
    College Football: Buckeyes. Even though I grew up in Cincy (which is not an OSU town per se--like Cleveland is) I have always loved the Bucks. They're the state school.
    College Basketball: Buckeyes. Same reason as football. Became a die hard OSU B-ball fan during the Jimmy Jackson era.

I have no others...at all. I'm a one-team guy for all sports. And I've never really understood how anyone could root for multiple teams in the same sport. Anyway...who are the teams you are passionate about?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: your favorite sports teams...

MLB: Cincinnati Reds

NFL: Cincinnati Bengals

NCAA: Ohio State Buckeyes

NHL: I don't like hockey, but I like to see Columbus do well b/c they're local.

NBA: Don't really follow one particular team, but I like to see the 76ers do well.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

MLB: Reds
    NFL: Bengals
    NCAA FB: Purdue
    NCAA BB: Purdue and to a bit lesser extent UC. I use to follow UC religously, but being away from the Cincinnati area hurts that one.
    NHL: Penguins and Red Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    NHL: Penguins and Red Wings.
    See, that's what I don't get...how can you be passionate about the Pens and the Red Wings?

Like, when they play each other, who do root for? how do you have enough time to follow both of them closely?

MLB - - Reds
    NFL - - The NY Football Giants
    NBA - - Knicks (although this is getting really hard to admit to)
    NCAA football - - Notre Dame
    NCAA basketball - - North Carolina
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    MLB - - Reds
    NFL - - The NY Football Giants
    NBA - - Knicks (although this is getting really hard to admit to)
    NCAA football - - Notre Dame
    NCAA basketball - - North Carolina
    That's got to be the most diverse portfolio we'll see on this thread. How does a mishmash like that evolve?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I find my like for teams can be traced to a player that I looked up to as a kid...

MLB: Reds (Johnny Bench - I was a catcher and he was the best)

NFL: Steelers (Jack Lambert - Darth Vader in Cleats just loved wathcing him play)

NBA: I dont follow anymore, when I did, Celtics, originally for Dave Cowens and Larry Bird, eventually for Dennis Johnson)

NHL: Sabres - Not player in particular, weekend visits to my uncle's place where he watched the Sabres got me interested. I got hooked in collge with Pat LaFontaine.

NCAA: Syracuse - Roosevelt Bowie. He grew up about 10 minutes from where I did, so as a kid, everyone talked about him and his work at Syracuse. Then Pearl Washington and Don McPherson in the 80s roped mein all the way.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

MLB: The Reds
    NFL: The Jaguars
    NBA/NHL: Don't care
    College Football and Basketball: Florida
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    MLB: The Reds
    NFL: The Jaguars
    NBA/NHL: Don't care
    College Football and Basketball: Florida
    you're from Northern KY and you're a Jags fan? How? Why? Why not the hometown team? The Jags are too new to have any fans in the Cincy area.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    you're from Northern KY and you're a Jags fan? How? Why? Why not the hometown team? The Jags are too new to have any fans in the Cincy area.
    Some dont blindly follow the hometown team.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

MLB: Reds
    NFL: Cowboys
    College Sports: Kentucky
    NBA,no one anymore but when I was young I followed the old Kentucky Colonels of the ABA. When they weren't absorbed into the NBA I slowly have lost interest in the NBA.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That's got to be the most diverse portfolio we'll see on this thread. How does a mishmash like that evolve?
    Well, I am a New Yorker - so that should explain the Giants and the Knicks.

My uncle was a HUGE ballbuster and when I was really young and just getting into baseball he would tease me that I was a Mets fan. So I would tell him that I wasn't over and over. Finally I was sitting watching TV and the Mets were playing the Reds and I decided that the Reds were going to be my favorite team, so whenever he would tease me I had a team to say. Joe Morgan was on first and he stole second and so he became my favorite player. The rest is history.

North Carolina was because of Perkins and Worthy and, of course, the great Dean Smith.

And ND because they won me money and the whole Catholic thing.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I lived in Florida till I was 17

And I loath WHO DEY
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Some dont blindly follow the hometown team.
    For me there's always been a sense of civic or hometown pride attached. I could never root for a team from another state or city. Just never made sense...but that's just me. Being from Cincinnati, I want Cincinnati teams to win! That's my hometown, man! It's about pride. I could never root for, say, the Cowboys, just because they were good or I like a particular player. I have no attachment...no reason from a pride angle to pull for them. To root for them would be, for me, like rooting for someone else's hometown and that just never jived with me. But, like I said, that's just me.

got alil captain in u?

MLB-Reds
    NFL-Dallas Cowboys (America's team)
    NBA-Bulls
    NHL-Penguins
    NCAA Football-THE Ohio State University
    NCAA Basketball-Univeristy of North Carolina/Ohio State

Turn Off Ads?