Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: your favorite sports teams...

Re: your favorite sports teams...

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    See, that's what I don't get...how can you be passionate about the Pens and the Red Wings?

Like, when they play each other, who do root for? how do you have enough time to follow both of them closely?
    I guess I would start by saying I follow them and they are my favorites, but maybe they don't meet your definition of being passionate about. I think it is different when you live or grew up in a place that doesn't have an NHL team. You're allowed to pick and choose a bit more, or something happens that makes you like that team. In my case I followed these two teams pretty closely for a good while. That has waned a little bit, since I don't have cable and am not able to watch hockey near as much as I would like.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cincinnati Reds
    Louisville Cardinals

As T.S. Eliot said: "there is no third."

All other sports are for turdburglars and honkies.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

MLB - Reds (duh)
    NFL- Bengals
    NBA- Bulls
    NHL - Avalanche
    NCAA Football - Michigan
    NCAA Basketball - North Carolina
    PGA- Tiger Woods
    NASCAR- hate it
    PBA- Don't know anyone on tour
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

MLB: Reds - Grew up in SE KY and got hooked in 68. Hook was set solid when the BRM was being broadcast through the region. Been hooked ever since.
    NFL: Bengals - Started following them in 70. Figured I was following the Reds, Bengals was only a natural transition.
    NBA: Don't care. Never have.
    NHL: Either the St. Louis Blues, or the Dallas Stars - St. Louis was a regional thing, and they had great teams made it easy to follow them. For the Stars, Was living in Iowa when they were the Minnesota North Stars, and were doing very well and I was following them a bit, Company moved us to Texas and the following year the Stars moved to Dallas and went on to win the Cup. Got caught up in the fever and followed them after that. Passion for Hockey has cooled a lot lately
    College Basketball: UK, Hey I'm from SE Kentucky. What did you expect me to say!
    College Football: If UK had a team worth getting passionate about.

MLB: Reds
    NFL: Bengals
    CFL: Toronto Argonauts.
    NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs and to a lesser extent the CBJ.
    NCAA: Marshall and Xavier.
    Soccer: Arsenal.

NFL: Bucs
    NCAA: Bucks
    NBA : LeBron, couldnt care less about the team just like LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    My uncle was a HUGE ballbuster and when I was really young and just getting into baseball he would tease me that I was a Mets fan. So I would tell him that I wasn't over and over. Finally I was sitting watching TV and the Mets were playing the Reds and I decided that the Reds were going to be my favorite team, so whenever he would tease me I had a team to say. Joe Morgan was on first and he stole second and so he became my favorite player. The rest is history.
    That is awesome. I love stories like that.

Mine are:
    MLB: Reds/Yankees
    NFL: Bengals, but I also can't help liking the Eagles and all their perpetual drama
    NBA/college basketball: I abhor anything and everything having to do with basketball
    NHL: Rangers
    College football: Ohio State
    Soccer: Juventus

I'm a really flighty fan with everything but baseball though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

MLB: The Reds, of course. In the AL I root for the Indians (I grew up in Cleveland). Still hope for an All-Ohio WS although I'd be pulling for the Reds.

NFL: The Bengals. Really, really, really disliked Art Modell when he fired Paul Brown. Loved it when PB started the Bengals, visited PB's home in Cincinnati and met him and his wife several times, class act, both of them.

NBA: Don't follow it much anymore but still wish the Cavs well. Was at their first home game, owned stock in the team and Bill Fitch, their first Coach was my colleges' coach my senior year. Not to mention that they were a customer of mine at the time plus I had gone to college with several of the front office people.

College Sports: Root for my alma momma, Bowling Green but, since they don't get the pub of the big schools, it's a little had to follow sometimes.

The rest of the sport picture has grown hazy because, it seems to me, as you get older, sports simply don't have as much importance to you as they did when you were young.

Rem

Reds
    Red Wings
    Wolverines
    USA Soccer

Everything else is just entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Reds
    Red Wings
    Wolverines
    USA Soccer

Everything else is just entertainment
    You're right WOY. Soccer isn't even entertaing.

OK, OK. I appologize in advance. It was too easy a line to pass up.

Even if it is true.

Rem

MLB- Reds
    NFL-Chargers
    NBA- Not a sport
    NHL- Not a real sport
    College Basketball - Syracuse
    College Football - San Diego State

I now live in Virginia so go figure....
    Baseball is life

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

MLB: Reds. I grew up in Kentucky and the BRM was getting going just as I was old enough to like baseball.

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars. Lived there when they got the team. I was a 49ers fan and didn't intend to be a Jaguars fan, but it was fun watching a team being built from the ground up and it just happened. Conversely, I live around Nashville now and don't care a whit for the Titans.

NBA: None. No Colonels, no attachment.

NHL: I keep up with how the Predators are doing but it's definitely a casual-fan situation.

College: Florida State first, Kentucky second.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

MLB - Reds
    NFL - Colts
    NBA - Pacers
    NHL - Red Wings
    College Basketball - Indiana and Texas Tech
    College Football - Notre Dame

NHL: Saints
    NBA: Nuggets
    NHL: Sharks
    NCAA Baseball: Long Beach State
    NCAA Football: Virginia Tech
    NCAA Basketball: Illinois
    Soccer: DC United
    Tennis: ARod
    Poker: Mike "The Mouth" Matusow

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

MLB: Cincinnati Reds: My first professional baseball games were trips to old Riverfront Stadium, watching guys like Eric Davis, Kal Daniels, Jose Rijo, Tom Browning, and the Nasty Boys. I'll follow them no matter how many Tony Womacks they sign.

NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: I was born in Tampa, lived there until I was 6. I've always followed the Bucs, through some absolutely horrid years, and through some great ones.

NBA: Detroit Pistons: I've recently started following the NBA a little more closely, and being so close to Detroit as given me a great chance to watch them these past few years.

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins: I have a lot of family in Pittsburgh, and who wouldn't love watching Super Mario growing up?

NCAA: Tulane University Green Wave: My alma mater. Need I say more?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?