Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: your favorite sports teams...

Re: your favorite sports teams...

MLB = Reds

Minor League Baseball = Mud Hens

The unexpected by-product of living in the Toledo area and following the Mud Hens has been a growing affection for the Detroit TiIgers also. So far neither the Reds or Tigers are really much of a threat to each other so my interests are not conflicting to this point, but my loyalty will always be with the Reds should such a decision have to be made at some point.

NCAA Football and basketball = Ohio State, I'm an Ohio boy and an alum to boot. Actually a bigger hoops fan than football even. Kept the shot chart for Gary Williams for 2 years when I was in school. I also root for the local MAC teams (Bowling Green and Toledo), and appreciate good college basketball in general. Started following Maryland even more closely when Williams went there from tOSU.

NFL - used to be the Browns, and I knew the roster as well as any team I ever followed. Then the move (of the team), I got married , had daughter and house etc and no time left to follow and no NFL passion left to drive me. So this is just for entertainment purposes only -though I like to follow ex-Buckeyes...

NBA - no real passionate favorites, but am following the Bucks closer than anyone else due to Michael Redd (also like TJ Ford and Bogut). May develop a stronger following eventually if the roster remains a bit static.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Question:

Why is it that every good Ohio boy is a Buckeye? I understand the people who end up going to OSU, but why the others?

I was born and raised in Ohio but absolutely despise the Buckeyes. I don't understand why Ohio boys (and girls) don't have more rooting interest in their alma mater.

I go to Miami Univ. (MAC) and am constantly reminded how much more the average fan 'cheers' for OSU than Miami even here in Oxford. For example, Miami opened against OSU this past football season and a lot of Miami students said they were rooting for OSU. It killed me. Why cheer for an institution that you have no vested interest in, and more importantly, has no vested interest in you? I guess it's the same big market/small market stigma that gives us all those wonderful bandwagon Yankee fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232
    Question:

Why is it that every good Ohio boy is a Buckeye? I understand the people who end up going to OSU, but why the others?

I was born and raised in Ohio but absolutely despise the Buckeyes. I don't understand why Ohio boys (and girls) don't have more rooting interest in their alma mater.

I go to Miami Univ. (MAC) and am constantly reminded how much more the average fan 'cheers' for OSU than Miami even here in Oxford. For example, Miami opened against OSU this past football season and a lot of Miami students said they were rooting for OSU. It killed me. Why cheer for an institution that you have no vested interest in, and more importantly, has no vested interest in you? I guess it's the same big market/small market stigma that gives us all those wonderful bandwagon Yankee fans in baseball.
    Because they grew up cheering for the state school--OSU. It doesn't really matter that they go to a different college. I'm sure when MU plays anybody BUT Ohio State, they cheer for MU. But how do you just drop your favorite team because you don't go to that college? I went to a different college, too, but I was always a huge Buckeye fan. It has more to do with OSU representing our state.

Also, when MU and OSU play each other, there is only one school (OSU) who's playing for anything significant. If MU ever had a chance to win a national championship (which they never will), then MU students might root for them.

If MU ever had a chance to win a national championship (which they never will)
    Ummm yeah ok.... if 1997 doesn't count in Football or 1989 in Basketball.. or 98 in Hockey.. but aside from those they'll probably never win anything again.

BTW this Buckeye born boy loves to hate on the Buckeyes... but then again I spent years 2-13 in the state up north.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Ummm yeah ok.... if 1997 doesn't count in Football or 1989 in Basketball.. or 98 in Hockey.. but aside from those they'll probably never win anything again.

BTW this Buckeye born boy loves to hate on the Buckeyes... but then again I spent years 2-13 in the state up north.
    woy...MU is for Miami University (Ohio)....U of M would be Michigan. Sorry to confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    woy...MU is for Miami University (Ohio)....U of M would be Michigan. Sorry to confuse you.
    Cha... I got dsyslexic there.... MU is currently #2 in the Nation in Hockey... this could be their year.

They'll all celebrate with slices of Bruno's pizza.

NFL: Bengals

NBA: Cavs, I guess

MLB: Reds

NHL- what?

College FB: THE Ohio State University

College BB: Dayton Flyers. Get to know Brian Roberts.Fast.

MLB: Cincinnati Reds (By virtue of living 80% of my life in Central KY, I consider myself a lifelong fan...although I had a brief Mets infatuation from 1984-1987 when I was in college in Florida)

NFL: Miami Dolphins (I was attending high school in West Palm Beach when Dan Marino was a rookie--have been a Fish fan ever since)

NBA: Miami Heat (Living in South Florida when the team was formed. Survived the Rony Seikaly years...made me a stronger person)

NHL: Edmonton Oilers (Learned the sport watching Messier and The Great One wins all those Cups..never changed my loyalty after they broke up the team)

NCAA: University of Kentucky (Family has been football season ticket holders for the last 30 years; avid fan of the basketball team since birth) and University of Florida (Where I graduated from--been a fan ever since mid 80's)

NHL: Edmonton Oilers
    There is a team that needs a goalie.

Hockey Goalie has to be the closest thing to a pitcher in all of sports, they both are alone out there controling the defense and both are so fraught with the ability to go bad if their technique goes awry. And both can can carry a team on their back alone.

Hockey Goalie has to be the closest thing to a pitcher in all of sports, they both are alone out there controling the defense and both are so fraught with the ability to go bad if their technique goes awry. And both can can carry a team on their back alone.

Interesting. That describes the mental side in a way I'd never considered.

Physically, it seems a lot like return of serve in tennis.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Interesting. That describes the mental side in a way I'd never considered.

Physically, it seems a lot like return of serve in tennis.
    I've always wondered why NHL teams don't just go out and find the biggest, fattest dude they can, plop him in front of the net and let him eat doughnuts while pucks bounce off of him.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

NFL: Bengals
    NHL: St. Louis Blues. I went to a lot of Stingers games when I was small and when they folded Mike Liut, the goalie, ended up in St. Louis. I started following them then because they had someone I saw play here. Why I didn't gravitate toward any of the other teams that had former Cincinnati Stingers players, I'll never know.
    NBA: I don't really care.
    NCAA football: Buckeyes
    NCAA basketball: Xavier
    Soccer: The EPL gets honorable mention but I really don't have a favorite team over there. I just like watching that league.

HS (for all sports): Cretin Derham Hall
    NFL: Vikings
    NBA: T'Wolves
    MLS: MetroStars
    EPL: Liverpool
    Serie A: Fiorentina/AC Milan
    La Liga: Real Betis
    AllSvenskan (sweden): Djurgarden
    Bundesliga (germany): Stuttgart
    Eredivisie (netherlands): AZ Alkmaar
    Ligue 1 : Bordeaux
    Bundesliga (austria): Rapid Vienna
    HNL (Croatia): Dinamo Zagreb
    Super Ligaen (Denmark): Copenhagen
    Last edited by Betterread; 02-07-2006 at 10:03 PM.

I agree. I actually got to meet Grant Fuhr at a celebrity golf tourney a years or so ago. He still looked to be in great shape for a comeback... He is a great guy, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I agree. I actually got to meet Grant Fuhr at a celebrity golf tourney a years or so ago. He still looked to be in great shape for a comeback... He is a great guy, by the way.
    The Avalanche took it to them last night, they have looked particularly bad on the back end of 2 games in a row, their defense seems to break down when Pronger isn't on the ice.

Turn Off Ads?