Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're a class act Joe Montana

You're a class act Joe Montana

I guess he needs to feed his kids gold puddin'?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PG9QH3GD91.DTL

Detroit -- Joe Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, was one of only three Super Bowl MVPs who turned down the NFL's invitation to take part in pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL.

Montana also declined the league's invitation for a news conference with all the MVPs after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's Friday news conference.

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

Two sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

MVPs representing 32 of the 39 previous Super Bowls were on hand. Besides the 49ers' Montana, the only ones missing were Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw (a two-time MVP), Jake Scott (a Miami defensive back who was MVP in SB VII) and the late Harvey Martin (a Dallas defensive lineman who was co-MVP in SB XII). The issue with Bradshaw also reportedly was money; Scott is on vacation in Australia.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You're a class act Joe Montana

Hey, they've gotta family to feed. Can't say I blame them.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

When you've done as many dog-and-pony shows as Joe Montana, you get a little tired of it all. He has a number that would make the aggravation worth it -- the NFL just didn't meet that number.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I've hated Joe Montana his whole career. Still unfortunate to hear that someone could take an opportunity like this and destroy it because of greed. Go walk into the sunset, Joe. You won't be missed.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Didnt bother me at all what he chose to do. $1000 to Montana is like $10 to me. I wouldn't have missed Sunday with my son (even if he was wathcing the Simpsons Season V most of the game) for $10.

Was it about money? Overall, yes. The cost to him wasnt worth it.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

His reason rings better then Bradshaw's.

I read somewhere where Bradshaw still holds a grudge against Steeler fans for the way he was treated at the end of his career
    Go Gators!

Bradshaw and the Steeler fans and team kissed and made up a couple years ago.

Bradshaw too wanted to be home with his family as he is on the road every weekend from Sept-Jan for his Fox job and is also not feeling well, he has surgery scheduled soon for his neck. He at least said he would have thought about it for $150K.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I've heard conflicting reports about this "story" and what really happened. Some of what I have heard/read is that Montana wanted to be at his son's basketball game and feels like he has spent too much time away from his family. I'm not a Montana fan but if that's his reason (and not just the money) then good for him.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    I'm not a Montana fan but if that's his reason (and not just the money) then good for him.
    I'd second that. I also wasn't a Montana fan, but I was always impressed with the way he played the game.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Bradshaw too wanted to be home with his family as he is on the road every weekend from Sept-Jan for his Fox job and is also not feeling well, he has surgery scheduled soon for his neck.
    Surgery because of this:

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Joe doesn't make a move without Jennifer's say so, I have a friend who produced a commercial that he was in and she said that not only was he "dumb" but he was the most whipped man on earth, defering every decision to her.

Speaking of Bradshaw:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/t...lan-149710.php

If you haven’t noticed from those gripping ads clearly aimed at sports fans, the new Matthew McConaughey-Sarah Jessica Parker “romantic” “comedy” Failure To Launch co-stars Fox Sports’ own Terry Bradshaw, playing (we think) the father of one of the two main characters. Yep, Bradshaw’s actually playing someone other than himself; we’re clearly sprinting to the theaters.

Anyway, Bradshaw was on the Don Imus radio show this morning, and he started discussing his “close friendship with Kathy Bates,” who also stars in the film. We’ll break down the conversation as such.

Bradshaw: “I’ve got makeout scenes with Kathy. She and I do love scenes.”
    (palpable pause)
    Imus: “You sound out of breath. You’re not masturbating, are you?”

Excuse us, we’re going to go kill ourselves.

Money and family issues aside, what about giving something back to the game and the fans that made you a multi-millionaire? Does everything have to come with a price tag?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Macro...good point, and I'm sure the answer would be they gave at the office.

Honestly didnt know about this until the stories popped up, I didnt turn the game on until around 6:15, when the teams were introduced.

Money and family issues aside, what about giving something back to the game and the fans that made you a multi-millionaire? Does everything have to come with a price tag?
    He gave a good portion of his life to that game. How about cutting him some slack for having other priorities, like his family?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?