Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You're a class act Joe Montana

Re: You're a class act Joe Montana

Personally I've seen Montana at enough Super Bowls to last a lifetime, if he wants to stay away then all the better for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wish Montana had skipped Super Bowl XVI and Super Bowl XXIII rather than Super Bowl XL.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    He'd rather spend his time with his family then be "honored" for seconds in an all expenses paid trip weekend in Detroit.
    Excellent point, I'd rather do just about anything than spend a weekend in Detroit.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    We need to get our facts straight. The expenses are standard practice by ther NFL. Montana or anyone else didn't put a "price tag" on appearing. It wasn't money being extorted. And that wasn't an issue with him to begin with.
    Just goin' by what I read in the article, GAC...

Two sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Just goin' by what I read in the article, GAC...
    I understand macro. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. It's just that I read where that $100,000 demand was nothing but rumor and bogus.

Maybe the NFL should have agreed, and then gave him one of these!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't think that anyone believes Montana should have attended the ceremonies if it meant taking time away from his family. But what I and others wonder is if there was a price that would have made Joe say, "Screw the family. I'm going to Detroit." It's like the old joke: A man walks up to a woman in a bar and asks if she'd sleep with him for $100,000. She gets all nice and lovey-dovey with him and agrees. Then he asks her if she'd sleep with him for $1. All of a sudden her attitude changes and she's not so nice. She says, "What do you think I am?!" He says, "I already know what you are. Now we're just negotiating a price." Was Joe just negotiating a price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

GAC, that would be too funny. Kinda like the stunt the Lexington deejays tried to pull last year with their "100 grand giveaway".

Chip, that's what I was trying to get at. Your example makes it clearer. If it was all about the family, then don't set a price. Again, assuming the reports about the money were correct.

I'll admit that I sometimes take the "spoiled, greedy, rich athlete" stance on things when I haven't (and can't) put myself in that person's shoes. If the money stories were incorrect, then it's unfortunate that they were put out there. Me? I believe it, unless these "sources close to the league" had something against Montana to start with.

As for the earlier comment someone made about it being stupid and adding nothing of value to the game, well I guess that's a matter of opinion, and it's one I don't share. I thought it was really cool to see these guys again, especially some of the older ones. If the Reds bring some members of the BRM or the 1990 team back to GAB and recognize them in pregame ceremonies on the field, is that stupid?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Which is is? - MasterCard or VISA that does those "priceless" commercials? Maybe they could capitalize on this and use Joe?

People have told me that if I shaved my beard off that I look like Joe Montana. Maybe I can double for him next year. They don't even have to fly me 1st class. I'm cheap!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?