Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You're a class act Joe Montana

Re: You're a class act Joe Montana

They were only asking for one day, Johnny. There are very few of us that are able to be with our families 365 days a year. Besides, by putting a dollar figure on his participation, he proved that there was a point at which he would forsake that time with his family in favor of money. If being with the family on that particular day was so crucial, then he shouldn't have put the $100K price tag on it. He should've just said I'm not available because I want to be with my family and left it at that. It's the $100K asking price that I'm taking issue with, not how he spends his time.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just reread the article. Where is the mention of Montana's family? Is that conjecture? The only reason I see cited in that article was that the price wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I just reread the article. Where is the mention of Montana's family? Is that conjecture? The only reason I see cited in that article was that the price wasn't right.
    It wasn't in the article. IowaRed posted it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Oh, sorry 'bout that. I overlooked that post.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

There isn't anything in this article about his family. I heard a clip from Montana's interview on Steven A. Smith's show where he was talking about the importance of attending his kids events and that he is at a point in his life where he can control his schedule. I didn't hear anything about the $100,000 in the interview
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Even if it is about the money, that's still "taking care of his family" -- providing them the gold pudding savafan mentioned.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

It's more than one day. He's gotta fly in/ fly home, etc. If he didn't want to do it, it was up to him. Does anyone really care that he didn't do it or why?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    It's more than one day. He's gotta fly in/ fly home, etc. If he didn't want to do it, it was up to him. Does anyone really care that he didn't do it or why?
    I suppose they do since there has been such an uproar about it. I don't really give a crap one way or the other but I'm guessing that he wanted to hold the NFL up for big time money and when they refused he said he wasn't going. But when that leaked out Montana said it was a family commitment so as not to look like a greedy bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    I've heard conflicting reports about this "story" and what really happened. Some of what I have heard/read is that Montana wanted to be at his son's basketball game and feels like he has spent too much time away from his family. I'm not a Montana fan but if that's his reason (and not just the money) then good for him.
    Wait a minute. This thought has been stuck in my head, and then it came to me. What school would schedule a basketball game on Superbowl Sunday?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Wait a minute. This thought has been stuck in my head, and then it came to me. What school would schedule a basketball game on Superbowl Sunday?
    Perhaps it was scheduled for early in the afternoon on Sunday. Although I'll grant you Sunday is an odd day to have a game.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Money and family issues aside, what about giving something back to the game and the fans that made you a multi-millionaire? Does everything have to come with a price tag?
    We need to get our facts straight. The expenses are standard practice by ther NFL. Montana or anyone else didn't put a "price tag" on appearing. It wasn't money being extorted. And that wasn't an issue with him to begin with.

As far as I'm concerned, Montana doesn't need to give back any more to the game or the fans. He did it on the field. While playing, he pretty much missed out on his daughters growing up due to his job. And made the decision he wasn't going to do the same with his sons now that he had the opportunity.

Making an appearance before your kids, and giving them the attention, is far more important in my book then giving it to fans who would probably never remember you were there in the first place.... "Hey Dad! Isn't that Joe Montana? I don't know son, let me se the binoculars."

Can we try to find something else to make an issue about on here. Like if he abuses his wife or beats his kids.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-08-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He gave a good portion of his life to that game. How about cutting him some slack for having other priorities, like his family?

Johnny: your making too much sense here.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Above and beyond all the other arguments made -- it was a stupid ceremony that added nothing but pomp and circumstance to an already overblown game.

Sure, it was "neat" to see all the old MVPs there, but I certainly didn't enjoy the game LESS because Joe Montana didn't show up. I don't blame him an iota for not wanting to be part of this three-ring circus.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I hate that crap about "giving back to the game". The money and fame Joe got from the game are the result of the value he added while he played. Every time people talk about the 49er dynasty of the 80's, they referencing what Montana gave back to the game. The money the NFL gets from advertising revenue at the SuperBowl is a direct result of fan interest because of the what Montana and his peers gave to the NFL.

They wanted him to spend his time walking out of a tunnel and waving to the camera and then stand next to the ref for a coin flip. It was stupid and added very little of value to the game. Athletes don't OWE their sport their time after they've retired. He'd rather spend his time with his family then be "honored" for seconds in an all expenses paid trip weekend in Detroit.

Good for him.

Turn Off Ads?