Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

US soccer players are just inferior to those produced most everywhere else in the world. They're seriously lacking in precision and in basic ball control skills. They're incapable of playing quick touch soccer. You'd think that players at that level would be capable of receiving either a long pass or a quick but strong pass without it bouncing 5 feet away from them. The difference between European players and US players couldn't have been more apparent than in today's game. The US isn't even close. I watch a lot of Euro soccer and most of they're bench players would be stars in the US, with few exceptions.

Until the better athletes in the US start to play soccer with more regularity as opposed to baseball, basketball, football, the US wil NEVER be serious competitors in the world soccer arena.

I agree with M2. I've watched every game but one and the US team was the weakest team I've seen so far with the exception of Trinidad and Tobago (who were extremely lucky to avoid a goal against a team who dominated them the entire game).

IMO, the best game I've seen so far is Argentina - Ivory Coast. I love watching the African teams play. I think Ghana will also handle the US without any problem.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

I felt the Ivory Coast was very hard done by the Ref; thought there were a couple of plays that were penalty kick-worthy b/f Drogba scored their lone goal.

Yes, it is a lot to explain w/o getting extremely in-depth, but the US Youth development system stresses qualities that do not create players with the flair and creativity of a Rosicky/Nedved/Ronaldinho etc. etc... However, a solid team concept will still allow this team to compete, we just didn't have that today. at all.

One Man Army

Ghana's been getting robbed against Italy today. The refs have not been very kind to them, needless to say.

However, Ghana is actually a pretty solid team, fundamentally speaking. They're not like other African teams, whose game plans typically revolve around outrunning the other team and not much in the way of good anticipation and gameplanning. Too bad Italy's been on top of them every step of the way and the refs have not been helping their caue.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Folks blaming Onyewu, yeah he was bad, but that Koller goal was more Pope than Gooch. And Kasey Keller above them all. His dreadful distribution led directly to the man running down our left flank with nary a defender in sight.
    Keller certainly had an awful game. Tony Meola even made the point that all three of those goals were shots a top-flight keeper could have stopped.

As for that first goal, looked to me like Pope came over from his slot to mark Koller after Onyewu completely neglected him, but there's no getting around a man that size. Onyewu was the defender between Koller and the ball and he got caught in no man's land. He didn't get tight to attacker and allowed enough space for the ball to find giant Czech striker. Pope can't be expected to climb over Koller's back, but at least he was on the man. Had Onyewu done the same, Koller would have had no play. Yet, as happened time and again today, Onyewu got lost and found himself in a completely useless position.

I don't know that I've ever seen a defender as flat-footed and lost as Onyewu was today. If people are getting benched in the wake of this debacle, then Jimmy Conrad ought to have Onyewu's spot outright.
    Last edited by M2; 06-12-2006 at 05:19 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I don't know that I've ever seen a defender as flat-footed and lost as Onyewu was today.
    How quickly we forget Wily Modesto

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    Ghana's been getting robbed against Italy today. The refs have not been very kind to them, needless to say.

However, Ghana is actually a pretty solid team, fundamentally speaking. They're not like other African teams, whose game plans typically revolve around outrunning the other team and not much in the way of good anticipation and gameplanning. Too bad Italy's been on top of them every step of the way and the refs have not been helping their caue.
    That was a fun game played by two teams that went at each other and played solid in the back as well. I can't remember the last time an Italian team managed to get that many players into the attack at the World Cup. Italy just played a class team that did most everything right and came away with a 2-0 victory. I'm impressed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Italy looked good, but Ghana was not organized in their back line and Italy really should have scored more - as they were able to get behind the back line easily and often. The reason Ghana even barely stayed in the game was their nice midfield play. Luca Toni, Pirlo, Nesta, and Totti all looked great. Forza Azzurri!

Quote Originally Posted by DropDocK
    Cahill must be immortal in Australia by now. I'm glad they pulled out a convincing win after the Japanese goal was allowed by the refs.

This is the first year I've really gotten into this tournament. There's an office pool at work and I have the Netherlands to root for and they look like a favorite. Then I have acquaintences from Sweden (was the best game with T&T I saw before the Aussies pulled out the late comeback), Australia, Sweden, Poland, Ecuador and the Netherlands to root for.
    Cahill is certainly being feted as they were great goals but much of the credit is going to Guus. He had the players at conditioning camps for most of June and I think their physical fitness certainly showed.

As a side note supposedly the referee came up to Schwarzer after the match and said that he was wrong about the goal as he didn't see him being obstructed but obviously God was on Australia's side today.

If you want to see a never say die attitude look at how the Aussies played against Japan. Kewell in his first full competitive game played the full 90 and you had guys like Emerton, Grella and Culina who never stopped running.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I felt the Ivory Coast was very hard done by the Ref; thought there were a couple of plays that were penalty kick-worthy b/f Drogba scored their lone goal.

Yes, it is a lot to explain w/o getting extremely in-depth, but the US Youth development system stresses qualities that do not create players with the flair and creativity of a Rosicky/Nedved/Ronaldinho etc. etc... However, a solid team concept will still allow this team to compete, we just didn't have that today. at all.
    I agree. I signed my 3 year old up for a soccer program just to get him some exercise over the winter when it was too cold outside. The program invovled a coach trying to get 3, 4, and 5 year olds to perform regimented exercises in order to develop skills. Needless to say, my son was bored within 5 minutes. I was just hoping they would let the kids run around and kick the ball around for an hour. When they're that young, I don't think you can really expect much more.

When I think of my own youth and playing soccer, I gained more "skill-wise" from watching the movie "Victory", going out into the yard with my friends to play "pick-up" soccer and imitating Pele and Osvaldo Ardiles. Mostly what I learned from playing organized youth soccer was how to run laps, stretch, and complete a "wall-pass". Occasionally we'd work on set plays for corners, free kicks and throw-ins. We didn't spend nearly enough time learning ball handling skills or even work on getting "touch" for the ball. By the time you started getting the feel for it down, the season was over and it was time for baseball or basketball season. How many kids learn to juggle the ball these days?

When I lived in Europe, pick-up games were quite common. Those of us foreign students at the University had our own pick-up game every Friday. No Ref, no watch, no 4-4-2 alignment, just pick teams and go. Play on whatever field is available. By the way, playing on a clay field is something else. Vasiline on the knees helps prevent serious scrapes.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 06-12-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Keller certainly had an awful game. Tony Meola even made the point that all three of those goals were shots a top-flight keeper could have stopped.

As for that first goal, looked to me like Pope came over from his slot to mark Koller after Onyewu completely neglected him, but there's no getting around a man that size. Onyewu was the defender between Koller and the ball and he got caught in no man's land. He didn't get tight to attacker and allowed enough space for the ball to find giant Czech striker. Pope can't be expected to climb over Koller's back, but at least he was on the man. Had Onyewu done the same, Koller would have had no play. Yet, as happened time and again today, Onyewu got lost and found himself in a completely useless position.

I don't know that I've ever seen a defender as flat-footed and lost as Onyewu was today. If people are getting benched in the wake of this debacle, then Jimmy Conrad ought to have Onyewu's spot outright.
    I watched it again, and I see what you're saying, but the man behind Koller, Pope, bears just as much responsibility--if not more--in that situation. Pope's vantage point was superior to Onyewu's in that he could see the play developing yet did not move to create some physical contact to either prevent Koller's clean strike or separate him from the ball. I'm not excusing Onyewu, there is plenty of blame to go around.

Yikes, please no Jimmy Conrad vs. Italy. I'll take my chances with Bocanegra b/f Conrad.

Yeah, I'm not blaming any of the goals on Keller per se, but I just have little confidence of him to make any sort of spectacular save... he has looked average for a while now. Really funny all the people on ESPN pimping Keller as the best goalie in the world, in all seriousness, I can name at least 20 goalies who are better than Keller. Cech, Barthez, Coupet, Landreau, Kahn, Lehmann, Van Der Sar, James, Robinson, Dida, Marcos, Julio Cesar, Buffon, Dudek, Sanchez, Schwarzer, Casillas, Reina... this is just off the top of my head... I love KK, but wow, calling a guy who plays for a bottom of the table Bundesliga team one of, if not the #1, GK's in the world is beyond lunacy. And the whole, he doesn't get respect b/c he is American is really lame. I mean jeez, being American hasn't stopped Brad Friedel from being respected and voted the top GK in the EPL on a couple of occassions. Speaking of which, you can add him to my list.
    Last edited by WMR; 06-12-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Tim Howard aint bad either. When Keller played in the EPL he didn't seem to be as good as Friedel. I wonder why Brad retired just before the World Cup. He was certainly doing well in the EPL.

Go the USA against Italy. The Aussies will have a much better chance against the Czechs than the Italians.

I think the US goes 0-3 this Cup. I just can't see them beating either Italy or Ghana.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I agree. I signed my 3 year old up for a soccer program just to get him some exercise over the winter when it was too cold outside. The program invovled a coach trying to get 3, 4, and 5 year olds to perform regimented exercises in order to develop skills. Needless to say, my son was bored within 5 minutes. I was just hoping they would let the kids run around and kick the ball around for an hour. When they're that young, I don't think you can really expect much more.
    (Sorry for the potential hijack)

Last year, I reluctantly volunteered to coach my daughter's under-6 soccer team despite the fact that what I knew about soccer could have fit on a post-it note. But the Internet is a wonderful place and I knew a few guys who had done it before, so we've had two successful seasons now based on these principles:

* Rule #1: If a kid playing under-6 gets to the end of the season and had fun and wants to keep playing, you've achieved the objective.

* Rule #2: The coach can't turn kids that age into great players, but he can make them not want to play anymore. See Rule #1.

Kids at that age learn best by doing and have limited patience for standing around. So we didn't do traditional drills. Everything was in the form of a game (with a name), almost all of it involved all the kids playing at once, a ball at their feet almost all the time -- but in the course of playing the games, they were using the skills they needed to learn. The few things that involved taking turns were rapid-fire things with them going as soon as their names were randomly called. I ran them ragged and they got better just from getting a whole lot of touches, even though they weren't getting any individual instruction to speak of. We'd always close practice with "Hit The Coach" and a raid of the snack bag, so even if a kid was having a blah day it ended on a good note.

Coach also had a blast. My inner five-year-old can be located easily, and horsing around with the kids is a lot of fun.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 06-12-2006 at 11:46 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Tim Howard aint bad either. When Keller played in the EPL he didn't seem to be as good as Friedel. I wonder why Brad retired just before the World Cup. He was certainly doing well in the EPL.

Go the USA against Italy. The Aussies will have a much better chance against the Czechs than the Italians.
    Nug, supposedly he didn't want the wear and tear of battling Kasey for the #1 spot for another 4 years after 2002. Yep, Friedel's club career has been MUCH more impressive than KK's. I think that Friedel felt that his performance in 2002 should have made the #1 position HIS until he showed that he was not worthy of the title, but Bruce made it clear that his 2002 performance would not give him a leg up over Keller for 2006. A mistake, IMO.

Congrats again, btw, on the win today. Wow, if Guus wasn't revered in Australia as a genius b/f, he certainly is now... haha his subs couldn't have turned out any better. Why not start Cahill? His fitness appeared up to the challenge. Very skilled player.

REALLY looking forward to seeing Brazil tomorrow.

The US MNT took a 16 year step backwards today. Absolutely pathetic. I have never seen a team place so lifelessly in such a huge match. Bruce Arena has taken this team as far as he can. We need new blood, and it's a shame Gus Hiddink is going to the Russians. He is exactly what the USSF needs at the helm of this program!

Turn Off Ads?